Litter picking crew

nu-marc88

Hi all,

I've been accepted for the litter picking crew for a charity this year, really looking forward to it. After going to the festival as a punter for over 10 years I thought it was time I gave something back.

My shifts are Fri - Mon 6am to 12 at the Other Stage. I just have a few questions for anyone who has done it before.

What's the drill on Friday mornings, do we get to finish early? Or do we go and help other teams out around the site? As the festival hasn't properly started their will be less rubbish at the other stage than Sat - Mon.

My last shift finishes at midday on Monday but I've been told we are not able to leave the site till 3pm does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance.

I pick at John Peel. I think we finished at about 11am on the Friday last year, but the previous year had to go and pick other parts of site. There was a depressingly large amount of litter even from the Thursday night.

No idea what the 3pm thing is about. I finished my shift at 11.55 on Monday and was out of gate A and off to the bus queue by half 12. However if you're driving or getting the train, I do strongly advise staying till late afternoon on Monday, or heading home on Tuesday morning. Otherwise you just get stuck in queues with the public leaving. 

I've picked at Pyramid before, and am doing it again this year. When we finished our patch, our team leader radioed the coordinators and got instructions what to do next. A couple of days we were sent to help out at other stages, and the others we were asked to pick along the main paths of a couple of camping fields. On the Monday, we finished around 11.45. Not sure about the 3p.m. thing, maybe that's specific to the charity you're volunteering with. Perhaps they have some sort of debrief meeting once everyone's back at camp, maybe even some goodies given out? As @pie_and_a_pint says, I really wouldn't be in too much of a rush to get away, if you don't have to. Get back to camp, shower and change, have a warm cider (or cuppa if you're driving!), maybe take a last bimble round the site, and let the crowds thin out a bit.

Hope you enjoy seeing a different view of the festival! :)

11 hours ago, nu-marc88 said:

Hi all,

I've been accepted for the litter picking crew for a charity this year, really looking forward to it. After going to the festival as a punter for over 10 years I thought it was time I gave something back.

My shifts are Fri - Mon 6am to 12 at the Other Stage. I just have a few questions for anyone who has done it before.

What's the drill on Friday mornings, do we get to finish early? Or do we go and help other teams out around the site? As the festival hasn't properly started their will be less rubbish at the other stage than Sat - Mon.

My last shift finishes at midday on Monday but I've been told we are not able to leave the site till 3pm does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance.

Modern Poetry, I just don't understand it 

3 minutes ago, payneruk said:

Do you get to keep all the meadow treasure you find or do you have to hand it in?

Hand in phones, wallets, cards etc and keep small change. Lots of the fields have been gone over by other people and/or security before we start shift anyway. For some reason I find a few driving licences every year. Less in muddy years obvs.

42 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Hand in phones, wallets, cards etc and keep small change. Lots of the fields have been gone over by other people and/or security before we start shift anyway. For some reason I find a few driving licences every year. Less in muddy years obvs.

I found loads of 10p and 20p coins last year. I think drunk people must have been throwing away their small change when they'd been to the bar. Clearly some people have too much money if they can afford to chuck it away. 

17 hours ago, nu-marc88 said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Read this in the style of Mark E. Smith. Pretty good...

I did litter picking one year at the Pyramid Stage and really didn't enjoy it. The Friday morning was OK as we'd managed a few hours sleep beforehand and got to finish early. The problem was we thought we could hack partying all night after that and going straight to our shift. We went straight from Shangri-La to work on Saturday morning and it was one of the worst few hours ever. I was picking up thin air at times and my friends kept ending up about 10 metres behind the line. Never again for me, but for those who are doing it for the first time I'd advise LOTS of sleep and not too much substance/alcohol consumption in the hours leading up to your shift. Don't be a warrior, because you're not one.

Other than that, I loved the access to showers and the private campsite and food was fab!

3 hours ago, SPTFRE said:

An ode to @Gnomicide:

There was a man with a Thingy from eFests

Who, whilst sat at home in his vest

Trawled the internet

But hasn't got any lineup info yet

So anything he confirms is a guess

Yeah, it's got to this

Vest and grundies. I'm not an animal.