mjsell

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, StLewi said:

The Tories won't give a flying fuck.

This

to them the market IS working fine, the fans are getting shat on and they could care less. So long as someone pays them some taxes sometime along the line they're cool/.

Quite.  The whole point of Tory economic policy is leaving it to the market. It's the arts so it's a luxury rather than a necessity, and as such there's never going to be a big enough outcry for them to do anything about it as it's not politically damaging.

So long as people are willing to pay the prices, the market is working. Trebles all round!!

I wrote to my local MP Sajid Javid (Tory through and through) on the matter around a year ago, and he was supportive of the issue. Even though previously he had come out and favored touting. He's soon changed his tone though in fairly recent interviews and, although he's no longer Culture Secretary, hopefully he will have an impact.

Just more wishful hoping though, but something has to be done. 

12 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

I wrote to my local MP Sajid Javid (Tory through and through) on the matter around a year ago, and he was supportive of the issue. Even though previously he had come out and favored touting. He's soon changed his tone though in fairly recent interviews and, although he's no longer Culture Secretary, hopefully he will have an impact.

Just more wishful hoping though, but something has to be done. 

Probably got priced out of tickets for Phil Collins at the RAH.  Cue outrage :lol:

I just can't see them doing anything meaningful. I understand the point about football tickets and why it's illegal to resell them and not gig tickets. Ultimately I think it will be down to venues and artists to sort it, I don't think the appetite to do it is there yet but hopefully if we keep the pressure up things will eventually change.

It is an offence for an unauthorised person to sell a ticket for a designated football match in person, or via the internet under the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. The main purpose of this legislation is to ensure public order, by preventing the unauthorised resale of tickets and thus maintaining the segregation of rival fans. The same public order concerns do not apply to concert tickets where there is no significant history of disturbances between different groups of fans

It sounds like our only solution is to form rival firms and start rioting at gigs. 

Edited by Chawk

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

There is a little bit about this on the One show right now 

Yea I saw that.. Bloody amazing how one site was charging thousands for a Ed Sheeran tix.... Hopefully the government will have to do something. 

so, there's a big media campaign about touts, and questions in parliament, and the likes of Glastonbury go the extra mile to ensure touts are cut out of it.

And then we have a festival that uses stubhub as its main ticket outlet, and as a major partner.

I've of course told them to fuck off, they're getting no publicity here.

13 hours ago, eFestivals said:

so, there's a big media campaign about touts, and questions in parliament, and the likes of Glastonbury go the extra mile to ensure touts are cut out of it.

And then we have a festival that uses stubhub as its main ticket outlet, and as a major partner.

I've of course told them to fuck off, they're getting no publicity here.

Thanks for not giving them any publicity here :) touting is something I'm really passionate about. especially these charity gigs getting ripped off. 

Unfortunately Eddie Vedder tickets have gone the same way.. They sold out in under 5 minutes and are now going for stupid money........ It's mad I ticket day for Glastonbury is crazy but at least you know it's only people who really want to go that are getting the tickets... 

15 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

Just tried to get ed Sheeran tickets for a friend, got through bang on the time and it was all sold out. Can't believe it! I am so annoyed she's a huge fan and has tried for all of the dates! And surprise surprise they're on resell sites...

Surely the artists themselves have some say in this.....I'm not a Sheeran fan but I can't imagine he's complicit to pricing out his fanbase in this manner....and he, like every other act, must be aware of what is happening.

Unless that is the promoters have a contractual free rein to do what they like with the tickets......notwithstanding any legislation that is in place.

5 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Surely the artists themselves have some say in this.....I'm not a Sheeran fan but I can't imagine he's complicit to pricing out his fanbase in this manner....and he, like every other act, must be aware of what is happening.

Unless that is the promoters have a contractual free rein to do what they like with the tickets......notwithstanding any legislation that is in place.

I know he's against it but it must be difficult to do anything as it's not technically illegal. I'm not a big fan myself but I know she really is. Same thing happened for the teenage cancer trust gigs too which really upsets me! 

10 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

I know he's against it but it must be difficult to do anything as it's not technically illegal.

Glastonbury are against it, and they've done something. Same with Radiohead last year. It can be addressed within existing laws, but requires artists and promoters to act against their own financial self interest.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Glastonbury are against it, and they've done something. Same with Radiohead last year. It can be addressed within existing laws, but requires artists and promoters to act against their own financial self interest.

True. The whole industry of touting is financial interest. Unfortunately people will still buy inflated priced tickets. The only thing that will stop it once and for all is mass boycott which will never happen :( 

6 minutes ago, incident said:

To be fair too, it adds a layer of complexity to everything too, that's big hassle as well as a cost. And in a perfect world, those measures wouldn't be necessary.

One time (a while ago ago now) the 2ndary ticketing thing came round, the govt basically said to promoters "do these things, and then we'll back you against the touts" ... and the promoters said "we're not doing those things until you've backed us against the touts".

The list of things included offering refunds, so there was no need for a secondary market.

I get why the promoters were resistant, but they were taking the piss. 

Edited by eFestivals

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

To be fair too, it adds a layer of complexity to everything too, that's big hassle as well as a cost. And in a perfect world, those measures wouldn't be necessary.

One time (a while ago ago now) the 2ndary ticketing thing came round, the govt basically said to promoters "do these things, and then we'll back you against the touts" ... and the promoters said "we're not doing those things until you've backed us against the touts".

The list of things included offering refunds, so there was no need for a secondary market.

Making selling tickets for a profit illegal would stop this. Personally I'd back that motion

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Some of the things done made no difference whatsoever and seemed to miss the point.

For example, they made it Law that if you are selling a ticket on one of these sites, you must let the buyer know the original face value.The problem was touts buying in bulk and putting them straight on resale sites minutes after they had sold out.Hows making them list face value going to stop them?

They also seem to want to treat a tout and someone who can't go anymore so wants to sell their ticket on as the same type of person when this is clearly not the case.

Making it illegal to sell a ticket on above face value is the simple and obvious way to solve it once and for all,I've no idea what is stopping them.(for a start, I bet the touts aren't paying income tax on their earnings from ticket sales)

13 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Making selling tickets for a profit illegal would stop this. Personally I'd back that motion

but if there's no refunds available, that's inevitably a loss overall for ticket buyers, because there wouldn't be a buyer for every unwanted ticket.

With touting, a punter can make up the loss on one ticket by selling another at above face value.

And this is why the govt said refunds had to be available before the resale of tickets for profit was acted against, which the promoters refused to do.