British Sea Power

mickmcmicklemick

2 hours ago, t0paz said:

It was as you'd expect really. A lot off the new album with a smattering of old favourites like Waving Flags. If you've got time then give the new album and Machineries of Joy a listen. They're just a good live band though so I wouldn't worry about knowing the songs too much

Right ho - thanks very much! 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

May I trouble you for a setlist preview? I'm off to them tomorrow alongside a friend but I don't know all that much I'm afraid! 

Setlist.fm is your friend (NB this will be the entire gig setlist so don't click if you don't want spoilers)

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/british-sea-power/2017/trinity-centre-bristol-england-3e68577.html

I was there last night too! They were phenomenal, with the new songs really adding something to their set list. I thought the last time I saw them was great, but they stepped it up again. They've increased the number of bears as well!

Would watch them again in a heartbeat. I've no doubt at all they'd smash any time slot on any stage they play in June. Colossal live band. The Great Skua could be a proper festival moment.

28 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Cheers sire!

No worries. I warn you that it can get a bit addictive and ruin some surprise moments for some acts, or even lead to disappointment when a band plays your favourite song 4 nights in a row before your night then they swap it out for something crap. I've had to stop myself looking at it in the past.

Back to BSP, looking forward to seeing them a few times again this year. Will be a must see at Victorious and would take a pretty huge clash to stop me seeing them at Glastonbury. 

Please rest assured that they can rock outdoor stages in the sun as well as sweaty club rooms. Their more anthemic songs stand out more if anything. I intend to be amongst it to alleviate the risk of a disappointingly small crowd.

Hadn't bought the album on release, had given it a few listens on Spotify and ended up buying the signed, heavyweight gatefold vinyl and have had it on constant repeat since.

Looked for a ticket for Shepherd's Bush on Sunday night and saw there were some standing left, by the time I'd checked with my mate they'd sold out. Maybe Twickets will come to the rescue.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Can anybody recommend where to start with these? Like do they have a definitive album? I honest to god don't think I've heard a single thing by them - always been put off by their name - but thought I might give 'em a chance.

right at the beginning with the decline of bsp, it's their best imo. do you like rock music? probably covers all their bases though

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Can anybody recommend where to start with these? Like do they have a definitive album? I honest to god don't think I've heard a single thing by them - always been put off by their name - but thought I might give 'em a chance.

The Decline of British Sea Power (debut) is brilliant but they now only play Remember Me off that.

Open Season was decent if a bit inconsistent, before Do You Like Rock Music? was their big album that got Mercury nominated (Waving Flags, No Lucifer and the Great Skua are regularly played).

Have to say I lost touch with them during Valhalla Dancehall and Machineries of Joy (like a lot of people did) and don't know those two albums very well - not that they seem to have figured much on their recent sets.

But this is a return to form.

10 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You'll know waving flags I reckon. For stuff they're playing now it's mainly the new one - which is no bad thing. 

Their peak was probably do you like rock music so I'd start there. Then try the debut, the decline of British sea power. 

If you don't hate them I'd definitely check them out at Glastonbury, even if you just think they're OK. Live they're albums come even more to life. 

Gave Waving Flags a listen and can't say it rings a bell, but sounds alright enough for me to check out Do You Like Rock Music? Figured if they're on that early (2pm or something wasn't it?) then there's a chance I could catch them (although I've had some busy mornings at recent Glastonburys so we shall see.

Ok I have a weird thing with BSP. I fucking love Decline and all of their other records have some really amazing tracks on (Zeus is probs one of my fav EPs by anyone), but they've underwhelmed me all three times I've seen them live, including a gig where they played Decline all the way through. It's always just seemed undercooked and a little shambolic. This seems to be the opposite experience to that of most people. Have I just been unlucky?

53 minutes ago, briddj said:

The Decline of British Sea Power (debut) is brilliant but they now only play Remember Me off that.

Naw they the biggies off Decline regularly. That setlist just posted from the other night has Carrion in there, and I'm pretty sure that Something Wicked and Fear Of Drowning have been fixtures when I've seen them recently.

11 hours ago, rjb94 said:

Ok I have a weird thing with BSP. I fucking love Decline and all of their other records have some really amazing tracks on (Zeus is probs one of my fav EPs by anyone), but they've underwhelmed me all three times I've seen them live, including a gig where they played Decline all the way through. It's always just seemed undercooked and a little shambolic. This seems to be the opposite experience to that of most people. Have I just been unlucky?

I'm surprised by that. Been nothing but tight when I've seen them.

12 hours ago, rjb94 said:

Don't think it's just you. Saw them for the first time last night and was also underwhelmed - went with a friend who has seen them thirty-one times and he said it was one of their worst. It wasn't musically bad - they were tight, and the sound mix was decent. But the pacing felt all over - it never really kicked into high gear or clicked together until No Lucifer, which was pretty late on. It was a shame too - I'd built it up a bit because of their reputation.

2 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Don't think it's just you. Saw them for the first time last night and was also underwhelmed - went with a friend who has seen them thirty-one times and he said it was one of their worst. It wasn't musically bad - they were tight, and the sound mix was decent. But the pacing felt all over - it never really kicked into high gear or clicked together until No Lucifer, which was pretty late on. It was a shame too - I'd built it up a bit because of their reputation.

Yeah maybe it's the pacing. I'm usually loving it by the encore, it's just the main set has always dragged. Gonna give them another shot on Tuesday as I'm liking the new one.