Organising a new music festival

CRW5252

22 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Does anyone of this forum have any experience organising music festivals? What advice would you give to people that are thinking about giving it a go? How much staff do you believe are necessary? Can it primarily be organised by one person? 

Thanks 

You need to have a read of this:-
http://www.thepurpleguide.co.uk/

It's best to start small and work up. You need a team of people and the more experience , then the better it is. Do not try to do it on your own. First question to ask yourself is "Why?", as I can guarantee you'll be asking yourself this again during the process.

IT IS NOT EASY, GLAMOUROUS OR  HUGELY PROFITABLE, but it can get an immense satisfaction. 

One of the main things to remember is that you have people's welfare on your shoulders. There are 4 licensing objectives that need to be fulfilled via an Event Management Plan. We run a 1500 cap event and this document is pushing 80 pages long. 

If money's no object, there are companies that you can bring in to do everything for you, write your plan, run the whole show. I know people who have done this  - not the way we do things ( we write everything ourselves, as we are the ones who have to implement it), but it's possible.

Small events on TEN ( Temporary Events Notice - under 499 cap) are the best way to start out to learn, but all the above will still apply.

10 hours ago, Flounder said:

It's best to start small and work up. You need a team of people and the more experience , then the better it is. Do not try to do it on your own. First question to ask yourself is "Why?", as I can guarantee you'll be asking yourself this again during the process.

IT IS NOT EASY, GLAMOUROUS OR  HUGELY PROFITABLE, but it can get an immense satisfaction. 

One of the main things to remember is that you have people's welfare on your shoulders. There are 4 licensing objectives that need to be fulfilled via an Event Management Plan. We run a 1500 cap event and this document is pushing 80 pages long. 

If money's no object, there are companies that you can bring in to do everything for you, write your plan, run the whole show. I know people who have done this  - not the way we do things ( we write everything ourselves, as we are the ones who have to implement it), but it's possible.

Small events on TEN ( Temporary Events Notice - under 499 cap) are the best way to start out to learn, but all the above will still apply.

Nice one. I don't know how you do it. It takes me all my effort to get to a festival, let alone run one. All the best for your festival.

20 hours ago, Flounder said:

Thanks for your answer, very interesting and informative. I just have a few more questions if you don't mind. How did you find your team of people? Also is the festival your full time job? I know this is a difficult question to answer but roughly what kind of expense would you expect from a typical 450 cap festival (that is carried out without the companies you mentioned)?

• 1 month later...

Running a festival can require deep pockets.  Few break even in the first few years.  It might help if you offered to work as a volunteer on the management side of an existing festival to gain some experience.  One festival I worked at as a volunteer Duty Manager had to prepare a 90 page Policies and Procedures document just to get local authority approval.

Some local authorities can be very helpful as they may see a festival as a boost to tourism. Others just hate them because they are seen as a hassle and headache and will be super picky about things like adequate trained stewards.

The Association of Festival Organisers, which is a trade association, might be helpful.

The other thing is to try to find a site that already has suitable infrastructure - for example a site that holds other events like caravan club rallies where they have things like water supplies and waste disposal already sorted.

On 22/02/2017 at 0:30 PM, CRW5252 said:

Thanks for your answer, very interesting and informative. I just have a few more questions if you don't mind. How did you find your team of people? Also is the festival your full time job? I know this is a difficult question to answer but roughly what kind of expense would you expect from a typical 450 cap festival (that is carried out without the companies you mentioned)?

Team - comes from years of working with different crews/mates

Job - nope - most people have other streams of income. There are very few full time posts - even Farmer Eavis still runs his farm. It will however take as much time up in your life as a full time job...just really badly paid.

Can't answer the last question accurately  - as you flagged up. We carry around kit that would be between £4-6k to hire. I wouldn't be happy running an event that you wouldn't be clearing £8k minimum off tickets. It can be done a lot cheaper, but we like to play safe. It's punters welfare that you have in your hands and a big whack of your job is to make sure that they're ok.

3 main points.

Keep the bar/traders to yourselves wherever possible  - seriously 

Not everyone who wants to be your friend has your best interests at heart. We've met some absolutely lovely people who have become close friends over the years...and plenty of others.

Your name is on the license and YOU are responsible. 

We are looking to run a much smaller event (8-9th Sep) alongside the main OUT West one.  - 1 stage, bar, camping, Friday Night and all day Saturday. It might be interesting for you to come along to both and see what can be done.

11 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Running a festival can require deep pockets.  Few break even in the first few years.  It might help if you offered to work as a volunteer on the management side of an existing festival to gain some experience.  One festival I worked at as a volunteer Duty Manager had to prepare a 90 page Policies and Procedures document just to get local authority approval.

Some local authorities can be very helpful as they may see a festival as a boost to tourism. Others just hate them because they are seen as a hassle and headache and will be super picky about things like adequate trained stewards.

The Association of Festival Organisers, which is a trade association, might be helpful.

The other thing is to try to find a site that already has suitable infrastructure - for example a site that holds other events like caravan club rallies where they have things like water supplies and waste disposal already sorted.

Good call - forgot about AFO - you can get your PLI etc from them cheaply. 

Machen eh? Don't suppose you knew Cal williams?

1 minute ago, Flounder said:

Good call - forgot about AFO - you can get your PLI etc from them cheaply. 

Machen eh? Don't suppose you knew Cal williams?

Don't think so, but I've lived in the village for forty years so almost certainly we will have mutual friends.  In what context might I know Cal?

Cal died a few years back and was Mum to a close mate - lived on the big council estate. We used to pile up there as teens and stay with Cal. All part of Creaming Jesus Posse. We used to get down The Forge on occasion. She was married to a bloke called Pete, but they split and he went to Aus - back now.

8 minutes ago, Flounder said:

Cal died a few years back and was Mum to a close mate - lived on the big council estate. We used to pile up there as teens and stay with Cal. All part of Creaming Jesus Posse. We used to get down The Forge on occasion. She was married to a bloke called Pete, but they split and he went to Aus - back now.

Sadly the Forge and Hammer is no more Flounder.  http://www.caerphillyobserver.co.uk/news/954006/last-orders-for-landlady-of-53-years-calling-time-in-machen/

In fact we no longer have any pubs left in the village.  The Fwrrwm Ishta has been converted into a six bedroom house, The Tradesman's Arms is about to be demolished and turned into a house.  The White Hart has closed and its future is uncertain.

• 3 weeks later...

It's actually my sons festival stu but thanks.. I'm probably better giving advice on illegal raves lol..

Flounder on the other hand does know his shit he does a few festivals.. I would say that don't think you'll start something and it will just take off its fucking hard work and until the end of the festival you won't know if you have been successful.. Not unless you are funded by drugs and put the festival on just so you can rinse your money lol. 

Hi flounder

.. Tis Berts dad. Lol

On 20/02/2017 at 2:30 PM, CRW5252 said:

Does anyone of this forum have any experience organising music festivals? What advice would you give to people that are thinking about giving it a go? How much staff do you believe are necessary? Can it primarily be organised by one person? 

Thanks 

Hey Im Organising a festival i Windsor great park and I need peoples help I would gratefully apprechate it if you could help me email me at futurebeats@outlook.com