BIG, big decision made. 2016 was 21 & 50 combined... It's time to hang up my Glastonbury gladrags.

beodeejay

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

not quite true.

There was a goodbye thread, that he started at my request - just because too many would have been too quick to point the finger at me for deleting him against his will. ;)

(he said he was spending too much time here and it was diverting him from important things).

The thread didn't stay up for very long tho (it got deleted when his account did) - just long enough for people to see him post he was leaving.

Oh that's right. I remember now.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Assuming waterfalls212434 isn't Pengers (I can't see why he'd lie about it), he must wonder WTF we're on about with this penguin character!

No I know who you mean, I was a longtime lurker on these boards before I got my lazy arse around to getting an account on here. he was pretty entertaining when he went off on one. It is quite amusing im compared, don`t know if that`s a complement or not though ;P

57 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Not in so many words but your attitude came across as the festivals nothing like it used to be, call it creative license on my part ;P

Well this is no place for creative license. We only deal in cold hard facts here.

Like the festival not being as good as it used to be for example...

Edited by russycarps

24 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Well this is no place for creative license. We only deal in cold hard facts here.

or you used to be a lot more off your head then your able to get now perhaps? ;P on that note even ive noticed the change, 2013 had mushroom sellers going round the tents trying to get some deals done.....never saw any in 14, 15 or 16

35 minutes ago, russycarps said:

The fact is that the festival is different to how it used to be, whether it's as good as it used to be is subjective and clearly what you and I'm sure a large percentage of those who've been going for a significant amount of years believe. I understand that. I really wish I'd experienced the early years of the south east corner like Trash City, etc.

I've only been going since 2008 and although certain areas have evolved, the spirit during that time has remained the same. There's probably been a couple of phases where the festival took a different direction, notably when the traveller element stopped attending and then the introduction of the super fence.

The fact remains it's still one of the best parties on the planet. 

24 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

2013 had mushroom sellers going round the tents trying to get some deals done.....never saw any in 14, 15 or 16

Undeniable proof!

3 minutes ago, SPTFRE said:

The fact remains it's still one of the best parties on the planet. 

Yep. I've been to a few of the so-called party hot spots of the world.

Nothing comes close.

Every year I say it's going to be my last one - this year is number 19! I will aim for 2019 and the 2020 50th Anniversary by which time I'll be 60 so may look at retiring then :) 

unless of course I am actually retired in which case I might volunteer or work there instead as will have more time!! 

5 minutes ago, sedra said:

Every year I say it's going to be my last one - this year is number 19! I will aim for 2019 and the 2020 50th Anniversary by which time I'll be 60 so may look at retiring then :) 

unless of course I am actually retired in which case I might volunteer or work there instead as will have more time!! 

I'm still going strong at 64 and once I retire in 2018 will have time to volunteer in the future and have more time to stay for the full week as well as doing other festivals.

end of the day `used to be better` `isn't as good as the old days` and all such phrases are meaningless because its all down to personal opinion.

I just cant help mocking sometimes because it really does remind me of the stereotype of the old git holding his corner talking about the `good old days`.......which really weren't all that good apart from in his own mind!

Never good to live in the past, I couldnt care less for the past all I know is when I go to Glastonbury (in the present) im having a damn good time :)

What has determined my going or not is the failure so far to get a ticket this year.  (Fingers crossed for the resales).

I come away at the end of each year knackered saying it will be my last.  But that's what a lot of women say after giving birth. Somehow the memories of the pain fade away and they go on to have more kids and we keep returning to Glastonbury.

For many years the best bit has always been the company - the people I go with and the old friends we meet up with.

The thing that has prolonged my festival going has been the purchase of a caravan.  For those thinking of calling it a day I say get a caravan it might add a new lease of life.  At 67 I couldn't go back to tenting and the lugging in or all of your gear.  But driving right in, with everything on board, a comfortable bed, flush toilet and all the other facilities make it still pretty good for an old fart like me.

2 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

No I know who you mean, I was a longtime lurker on these boards before I got my lazy arse around to getting an account on here. he was pretty entertaining when he went off on one. It is quite amusing im compared, don`t know if that`s a complement or not though ;P

1437920790-chandler-bing-really-gif.gif

57 minutes ago, sedra said:

Haa so I'm not the only one lol

I think 2015 was the best year. 

Admittedly it's the only year I have gone but anyone who tells me different is wrong. 

Im genuinely desperate to go again this year. But with no ticket as of yet I have realised that I should have looked at volunteering. I take it it's too late to apply now? (I know I'm an idiot) 

Im going to be leaving England for minimum 2 years in August/September time, with the potential for that to be far far longer. It's only recently sunk in that stuff like Glastonbury (festivals in general) with mates will be some of the biggest things I will miss - New Zealand isn't the Mecca of festivalling that Glastonbury is I'm guessing. And with 75% of my extended group of mates and close mates having got a ticket already it's hit me that I might miss a chance to have the best party you could ask for before leaving them for ages. 

Fuck! I need a ticket so bad. 

Edited by mjsell

I think the festival has been through quite a few changes but the 3 that I believe have changed the festival the most for good or bad...... Mostly good imo......... Are first stopping the travellers from having a field......shame but I don't think he had a choice.. 2nd the Fence.. Well that was necessary after the crowds of 2000 and the last was the photo's on your ticket.. Again a necessity imo.. 

All these things have changed the festival but imo for the better....... Apart from the madness of getting a ticket the festival is definitely a safer place to be at.. As for not having people walking around selling drugs openly well you take your own but I do miss that wild west sort of side to it lol. But then again you see these family's walking around where the kids have a look of wonder on there faces AND its safe...... I can't wait to take my granddaughter...... 

Alot of people say it's all commercial.. Well I don't see it cos I don't look for it.. BUT I do agree when people say there are a lot of weekend want to be hippies that now go to glasto... 

This will be my 18th glasto and I still meet up with travellers from back then.. People who have been going for ever people I only meet with once a year Glastonbury is Glastonbury and the changes it's had to go through imo have made it a better more beautiful festival and have had to happen to keep it going.. 

Long may it continue and hey I'll say it long may I keep getting tickets. G