BIG, big decision made. 2016 was 21 & 50 combined... It's time to hang up my Glastonbury gladrags.

beodeejay

I realise I'm a Johnny-come-lately (despite many years of other festivals), having only started my relationship with Glastonbury in 2015.

I realise too that those who have been going forever have seen innumerable changes.

But the magic is still there, for those who still want to believe in it. From the moment I arrived in 2015 and met the people who instantly became dear friends, from that first look around the site and getting a feel for the place, I knew that this was, for me, something very different and very special. From only two visits it has already become probably my favourite single place on the planet, if only because it is where I feel most in tune with like-minded souls. Having experienced other festivals, there is no comparison in terms of the spirit that exists at Glastonbury. I have no doubt that the proportion of casual/bucket list/just not that fussed punters has increased exponentially in this time of gotta-be-able-to-say-I've-been-to-a-festival culture. But that doesn't mean that there is still not a huge preponderance of those who continue to want to go because, to them, it genuinely means something.

And I would like, even after only my short exposure so far, to count myself among them. Maybe if and when I've been 20+ times I may feel differently. But as things stand, I couldn't imagine not being there for every edition, until I have finally danced myself to death. I can't wait to get to June, and back to one of my 'homes'.

:)

Ben

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, russycarps said:

People's favourite year will vary from person to person, but 99% of people who have been going for a few years will NOT put 2014, 2015 or 2016 at the top. That is a certainty.

Anyone that does so is a rotten liar. And a scoundrel.

I'm sure we've had a "favourite year" poll on here before. I suspect 2014-2016 were not in contention!

aye 14, 15 an d16 were alright, its Glastonbury so it's all good, 2005 was good 2010 was dry (so equally good )

Someone’s favourite year is gonna be contingent on all sorts of ephemeral factors that are often outwith the festival’s control – the company you’re with and how well you’re all getting on, how well the booze hits the spot, whether you choose wisely and get a strike rate of decent performances or whether you eat a lentil curry from the wrong stall and windup in the longdrops for several hours a day....

22 minutes ago, russycarps said:

People's favourite year will vary from person to person, but 99% of people who have been going for a few years will NOT put 2014, 2015 or 2016 at the top. That is a certainty.

Anyone that does so is a rotten liar. And a scoundrel.

I'm sure we've had a "favourite year" poll on here before. I suspect 2014-2016 were not in contention!

I dunno.  My ideal Glastonbury has to include The Park, so the best festivals are all in the last 10 years.

EDIT:  I know that's not in the last three festivals, but it's a counterpoint to the whole "it's not as good as it used to be" angle.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

You'll soon know if you have made the right decision as the festival gets nearer and you watch the coverage on tv , its a strange feeling not being there .

I have missed 3 since 1990 saying to myself that's it no more but still get the urge to go , I'm 55 now and it gets harder every year, I still like to blast it for the 5 days I'm there guess that's my younger self unleashing itself .

The hardest part is lugging my stuff in every year always take enough drink etc as like to do it on the cheap so to speak.

Last year nearly broke me I must admit and told everyone if I mention glasto 2017 slap me round the head and remember how hard 2016 was BUT October came and that was that maybe this year will the last .

Doing it different this year camping in ashcombe farm as I can't face lugging all my gear in again so quite looking forward to doing it slightly different this time 15 min walk to the site everyday will be interesting or catching the shuttle bus is another option but either way it'll be a blast 

I get the feeling this year might be my last, or at least one of the last. My first was only 2010 but the last time i went (2015) i felt the magic had left me a little (might have been because of the people i was with though). Too many annoying teenagers, too many crowds, atmosphere didnt seem the same. I'm only 30 though and feel like an old man!

25 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I realise I'm a Johnny-come-lately (despite many years of other festivals), having only started my relationship with Glastonbury in 2015.

I realise too that those who have been going forever have seen innumerable changes.

But the magic is still there, for those who still want to believe in it. From the moment I arrived in 2015 and met the people who instantly became dear friends, from that first look around the site and getting a feel for the place, I knew that this was, for me, something very different and very special. From only two visits it has already become probably my favourite single place on the planet, if only because it is where I feel most in tune with like-minded souls. Having experienced other festivals, there is no comparison in terms of the spirit that exists at Glastonbury. I have no doubt that the proportion of casual/bucket list/just not that fussed punters has increased exponentially in this time of gotta-be-able-to-say-I've-been-to-a-festival culture. But that doesn't mean that there is still not a huge preponderance of those who continue to want to go because, to them, it genuinely means something.

And I would like, even after only my short exposure so far, to count myself among them. Maybe if and when I've been 20+ times I may feel differently. But as things stand, I couldn't imagine not being there for every edition, until I have finally danced myself to death. I can't wait to get to June, and back to one of my 'homes'.

:)

Ben

Completely agree, 2015 was also my first Glastonbury and for me it was a truly magical experience. I've been to plenty of other festivals, some more than once but never out of my own choice, it has always been because somebody else wanted to go again, never because I liked it enough to want to go back. Glastonbury was completely different, I was desperate to get back there again and actually dread the point in the future when I won't be there and I will have to watch it on TV. If you've been going for years the best years are likely to be the first few years, regardless of when you started going, it still an amazing place full stop that's definitely got the magic. I definitely massively regret not going sooner, not because they were the 'better years' but because now I'm 35 and I missed a large chunk of Glastonburys when I would've been in my prime.

Have to ask Russy....If the fests so shit compared to the 'good ol days' what keeps you coming? Shame your tickets not in the hands of someone who'd be appreciative of it tbh if that's your attitude. 

Everything looks rose tinted when your looking back on it mate that's the beauty of memories. 

9 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Have to ask Russy....If the fests so shit compared to the 'good ol days' what keeps you coming? Shame your tickets not in the hands of someone who'd be appreciative of it tbh if that's your attitude. 

Everything looks rose tinted when your looking back on it mate that's the beauty of memories. 

Huh? where have I said it was shit?

What a peculiar thing to type.

I've no intention of quitting, I doubt I'll ever have as great a time as some of my earlier ones, but I now adapt what I do at the festival to make sure it remains unmissable - so mainly stick to a few areas of the site (WH, Avalon, Healing Fields), drink much less, and be soft in going in a CV, etc

3 hours ago, Charm said:

Mr Charm recently asked me what I will do when he no longer wants to go, I said I'll be going on my own, he did seem a bit miffed but I'm glad we had the conversation, I can't see myself ever retiring from the festival, it makes me too happy. 
Charm x 

Mr P&P probably won't go again. He's missed a few already - in 2010 and 2015 I went without him, and I'm flying solo again this year (albeit as a litterpicker, so not quite the same as being a solo punter). The only downsides for me of going without him are that I have to go on the train and carry all my own kit, whereas with him we'd drive and take a sack trolley etc. It just means I wear the same clothes for most of the weekend and I bring less of my own booze, but there's not much chance of my giving up just yet.

3 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Id say you think to much.....why on earth do you have to almost `announce a retirement` from Glastonbury? or any festival for that matter, if its burning you out just dont go for a few years and then come back when/if you fancy it, hell I hope to still be doing gigs and festivals well into my elder years, Glastonbury included,.....planning way to far ahead id say, you might see a fantastic lineup in a few years and try again.  Dont mean it in a nasty way, just think you may be `overthinking`.....you dont have to retire from anything you love doing after all.

Just me or is this ^^ a bit...Crazy Penguin-y?

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Penguin made a big deal of "quitting" last year. Makes sense he would come back under a different name.

He didn't.  He emailed Neil to explain why when deleting his account and Neil relayed the info.  There was no grandstanding goodbye thread, we just talked about it a lot.

Or that's how I remember it, might have it completely wrong!

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

He didn't.  He emailed Neil to explain why when deleting his account and Neil relayed the info.  There was no grandstanding goodbye thread, we just talked about it a lot.

I thought he posted saying he was leaving the internet to spend more time in the real world, or some such nonsense?

35 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

not quite true.

There was a goodbye thread, that he started at my request - just because too many would have been too quick to point the finger at me for deleting him against his will. ;)

(he said he was spending too much time here and it was diverting him from important things).

The thread didn't stay up for very long tho (it got deleted when his account did) - just long enough for people to see him post he was leaving.