Glastonburygeek4

Wanted to see glastonbury from a different perspective so decided to apply for festaff. Super excited that they've offered me work for glasto and IOW. 

Look forward to be allowed on site before the crowds arrive.

I've heard only good things about festaff at glasto, has anybody else got work with them?

Also what's the IOW Fest like? 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, SophusBeuford said:

I've been offered work for Glasto and IOW too! I've been to Glastonbury before but haven't worked there before so I'm also interested to hear what it's like. Applied for IOW as a last minute decision but I can't wait!

Me too Soph! This will be my 9th glastonbury, 1st working though. Are you wrist banding?  Where are you from? X 

1 minute ago, SophusBeuford said:

One question I do have is do Festaff arrange any kind of transport? Or is it easier to drive? 

You're told to make your own way there so if that's driving yourself then so be it I knew a couple groups car shared but I went solo and drove myself there.

This turned out to be a good idea in the end as we were on site early (before the majority of food stalls opened up) So i could drive off site to the nearby shops (And KFC :D) and I wasn't bound to anybody elses schedules when it came to leaving Sunday night 

3 minutes ago, Often Smashing Pumpkins said:

Is it possible to exchange shifts with people when you are there?, so as to not miss anyone you are dying to see i.e. radiohead :D

Of course! if you get there early enough you can pick and choose ideal shifts (and sometimes gates!) another thing they say is that if you find your shift clashes they're happy to swap as long as you tell them (in the campsite office) and that you take the person who you're swapping with so they can verify the swap.

2 hours ago, Glastonburygeek4 said:

That's cool! Are you planning to drive down on the Tuesday/Monday? I'm from near dover in kent 

Not sure, I don't currently have a car so I might hire one to go down in! Public transport is just such a hassle. Ah you'll be going in a different direction to me then!

20 minutes ago, SophusBeuford said:

Not sure, I don't currently have a car so I might hire one to go down in! Public transport is just such a hassle. Ah you'll be going in a different direction to me then!

I've lift shared before getting my license. Highly recommend it! There will be tonnes of people coming from your way I'm sure x

2 minutes ago, Glastonburygeek4 said:

Thanks! How many times have you worked for them at glasto? 

Is the staff campsite in the north of the site near the welfare centre? 

I've only been last year, was so good I'm going again this year! the staff campsite last year was here (Link is a google maps location) 10-15 min walk to Pyramid I'd say

Somebody somewhere said something about Festaff maybe moving somewhere else this year.

As you can see from the sentence above, I have a rather vague grasp of the conversation, but it was because Festaff aren't doing the staff wristbanding this year (who is?), so they won't need as much camping space as last year and may move back to the space they used previously.

27 minutes ago, alisonbison said:

Somebody somewhere said something about Festaff maybe moving somewhere else this year.

As you can see from the sentence above, I have a rather vague grasp of the conversation, but it was because Festaff aren't doing the staff wristbanding this year (who is?), so they won't need as much camping space as last year and may move back to the space they used previously.

Yeah I queried that with them and they say it hasn't been decided who is going to do the staff wristbanding this year (Last year I was invited around May time to do the staff wristbanding so still a bit of time till we know I guess) previous years I heard they were in a placed called 'Tom's Field' inside the fence and you had a few of the regulars wax lyrical about how it was 10x better there, I couldn't comment.

Like many others I failed miserably in October so looked at all avenues and this seemed like the best bet for me and I've been offered a role here and at a couple of other festivals so I'm buzzing! I'm really looking forward to being on site a couple of days before gates open and getting to meet a lot of new, like minded people. Hopefully it's as good as it sounds and I'll be able to come back each year and get around some other festivals too in the coming years.

See you all there :)

I got a place too! I'm so excited, I was abroad last year and missed it and couldn't bear the thought of missing out again! I just wondered how come you know you are wristbanding?

So far I have confirmed my acceptance but I havent been given any details of the work I will be doing so Im a bit worried Im going to end up on toilets or something which isnt ideal but Ill earn my Glasto spot anyway possible! Im also from Kent too Canterbury way J

17 minutes ago, loveansley said:

I got a place too! I'm so excited, I was abroad last year and missed it and couldn't bear the thought of missing out again! I just wondered how come you know you are wristbanding?

If you're volunteering through Festaff then you'll be wristbanding, or doing something directly related to wristbanding, as that's the only role that they have at Glastonbury (unless something unexpectedly changes).

Given the sheer number of volunteers needed to make Glastonbury work, tasks tend to be quite compartmentalised and different organisations are responsible for different areas  of the Festival. It's almost always the same groups performing the same tasks year on year presumably as this helps things run smoothly.

1 hour ago, loveansley said:

So far I have confirmed my acceptance but I havent been given any details of the work I will be doing so Im a bit worried Im going to end up on toilets or something which isnt ideal but Ill earn my Glasto spot anyway possible! Im also from Kent too Canterbury way J

I can almost guarantee you won't be stuck with the toilets (almost 99% sure) Festaff only deal with the wristbanding side of things so you just need to be smiley and happy, no cleaning of the long drops (I believe this is WaterAid volunteers)  

Great thank you so much! - I'm counting down the days already! My friends think I’m mad going by myself but I would rather that than not go for another year! Unfortunately registration has closed for Festaff but Shelter applications open soon – you need to pre register first I think and deposit is £300 – although a hefty fee worth a shot maybe??  

I was thinking of Shelter but I'm gonna leave it now and stick with Festaff. Shelter sound like they have better camping and facilities for workers, plus you don't have to do a sister festival so you get your money back quicker, but I think Festaff does tend to give you earlier shifts, so you'll miss less of the headliners. 

Same, I'll stick with Festaff too - I've heard good things about them - I’m just glad to be going at all and will probably enjoy wristbanding!! Shelter might be useful for anyone who has missed out on registration for Festaff or Oxfam etc though. So long as I get plenty of time in the South East Corner I’m happy!