Liam Gallagher

plaskins

9 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Not always though. Bugg especially and Macklemore would be nowhere near subbing nowadays, and Blossoms so high is still a shiter

Liam and BMTH subbing were made with the hindsight of them taking off massively, which paid off. Bugg and Macklemore were made with the assumption that their flash in the pan rises would continue onwards, which they did not. Bugg has somehow managed to stay far more popular than I thought he would though.

I can't see him at IOW with a London gig already announced, sold out or not. Reckon he'll do TRNSMT and he's bound to do a Manchester show, then can mop up the fests that'll have him (IOW) year after. 

26 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Yeah it's funny how we laugh at their bookings when they're announced and they almost always seem justified by the time the festival comes around. Same with BMTH subbing Metallica in 2015 and Royal Blood 3rd down the same day.

Yeah, like it or not R&L and still pretty much the best festival for taking punts on people all over the bill. The hits mean they get away with the misses. 

37 minutes ago, Homer said:

Bestival get away with this a bit (Crystal Castles subbing the main stage/The Cure!).

The Cure aren't a punt :P 

37 minutes ago, Homer said:

If the three releases are anything to go by, I'm struggling as to why he's selling so well.

Its a shite album but sounds like Oasis, so that was always going to be safe bet for the success he wanted 

Edited by MattDavies__

I quite like Liam and the album, but the confusing thing for me is how well this solo thing is doing compared to Beady Eye when the music is albeit a little better but very similar. 

Also don't quite understand the 'fans' who have to compare everything Liam and Noel do and seemingly feel they can only pick one.

6 minutes ago, DMCJ2 said:

I quite like Liam and the album, but the confusing thing for me is how well this solo thing is doing compared to Beady Eye when the music is albeit a little better but very similar. 

Cos he’s always in the press being a man of the people, not afraid to speak his mind, one of us and the type of bloke you could share a pint with. Who knew this was so popular among Britons?

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Cos he’s always in the press being a man of the people, not afraid to speak his mind, one of us and the type of bloke you could share a pint with. Who knew this was so popular among Britons?

How do you explain the Stone Roses then, who were being utterly ridiculed before their demise after Reading 20 odd years ago, only to resurrect and become a stadium selling band without actually doing anything during their hiatus.

Liams resurgence is pretty similar and goes to show that hype sells. similar thing happened with LCD soundsystem on a smaller scale.

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

How do you explain the Stone Roses then, who were being utterly ridiculed before their demise after Reading 20 odd years ago, only to resurrect and become a stadium selling band without actually doing anything during their hiatus.

Liams resurgence is pretty similar and goes to show that hype sells. similar thing happened with LCD soundsystem on a smaller scale.

Are the pre-split Stone Roses meant to be Beady Eye in this scenario? Cos their reputation hasn’t been revised - they’re still reviled. Stone Roses are similar to Oasis in that, given enough time, they’re elusive to young fans and old ones forget about the bad years but I’m not sure that’s the same as Liam in this case unless people really wanna hear those Beady Eye anthems.

Anyway, I guess his personality is refreshing for Oasis fans who are past bored of Noel’s dad rock and U2-chumming.

As dental mentions I think the sudden popularity is pretty much down to his personality. He's not really done anything outrageous for a while and in the last year or so he's been everywhere giving out entertaining sound bites, to the point where in some circles he's almost became some sort of national treasure. People seem to have really bought into it. 

That's a bit unfair on LCD who are very, very talented. Stone Roses at least used to be (three of them anyway). 

Liam really isn't at all - bar his incredibly distinctive voice, which I also think is also his achillies heel weirdly. It's SO distinctive that he just sounds repetitive (I suppose Oasis didn't help themselves on that front!). Like a quite a few people, I was done with it after two albums and all those b-sides. It doesn't  help  that he only seems to have one gear: hitting you over the head with it. I guess it's not for twatty, (6) music snobs like me, but the Kasabian-loving lads are mad fer it (generalisation alert!).

He has been away for 5 years. Whether people on here like him or not, he was an act that half generation of people wanted to see. 

I have work colleagues who are 20 ish who never saw Oasis. Never saw Liam, and this is their chance.

Popularity is often down to perception. He is a star. He attracts attention for doing fuck all. You either have that kind of pull or you don't.

Most people think his album is better than anticipated too.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

9 hours ago, eastynh said:

Urban Outfitters, mainly 

17 hours ago, Homer said:

Struggling to think who would want him. V?

Reading would comfortably book him seeing how quick Finsbury went....he might have sold generally and including his arenas as quicker or quicker than Noel. And as much as his voice night not be there....you are paying for the original voice of Oasis, people did it time and time again for GNR with just Axl. 

15 hours ago, sisco said:

He’s certainly done the sensible thing by including at least 50% oasis songs.

Impressed with his new album tbf too

Yup.....just like Noel did.

39 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Reading would comfortably book him seeing how quick Finsbury went....he might have sold generally and including his arenas as quicker or quicker than Noel. And as much as his voice night not be there....you are paying for the original voice of Oasis, people did it time and time again for GNR with just Axl. 

Yup.....just like Noel did.

Eh he subbed Reading this year.

17 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Liam and BMTH subbing were made with the hindsight of them taking off massively, which paid off. Bugg and Macklemore were made with the assumption that their flash in the pan rises would continue onwards, which they did not. Bugg has somehow managed to stay far more popular than I thought he would though.

Bugg above Pixies.

Never forgive. Never forget.

19 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

As dental mentions I think the sudden popularity is pretty much down to his personality. He's not really done anything outrageous for a while and in the last year or so he's been everywhere giving out entertaining sound bites, to the point where in some circles he's almost became some sort of national treasure. People seem to have really bought into it. 

Not much of a conspiracy here if you ask me. The album has a selection of songs on it which are far superior to anything Beady Eye did. He made a few high profile appearances this summer (including One Love on TV, R&L) which seemed quite successful.

The irony is, Liam's output has got better since Beady Eye split and if Noel's new single is anything to go by his is getting worse! Be interesting to see what his album is like. 

42 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

Not much of a conspiracy here if you ask me. The album has a selection of songs on it which are far superior to anything Beady Eye did. He made a few high profile appearances this summer (including One Love on TV, R&L) which seemed quite successful.

The irony is, Liam's output has got better since Beady Eye split and if Noel's new single is anything to go by his is getting worse! Be interesting to see what his album is like. 

Oh I wasn't trying to suggest there was any sort of conspiracy or anything like that, I'm a fan and I'm glad he's back making music. I just think the general perception of Liam has changed slightly this year, I think a lot of people now see him as someone they find quite funny and could sit down the pub with rather than an embarrassing, loutish singer who's always up to no good.

Exactly what has been said above, he’s been very clever with his PR, he’s a pretty funny guy (wether you are laughing with him or at him is a different question) I can’t scroll more than 5 cm on Facebook without seeing a video of him commenting on something. The album is actually pretty good, and last but not least he has ridden the Oasis nostalgia buy covering loads of their songs and gained lots of popularity that way. He’s been very clever with that too, he’s played different Oasis songs and hinted that he may play others too. People are going along to see him with the expectation he may play their favourite Oasis song.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The album is actually pretty good, and last but not least he has ridden the Oasis nostalgia buy covering loads of their songs and gained lots of popularity that way. He’s been very clever with that too, he’s played different Oasis songs and hinted that he may play others too. People are going along to see him with the expectation he may play their favourite Oasis song.

He came across well in the Supersonic film too and has endeared himself to fans more by embracing Oasis while Noel is seemingly dismissive towards questions about Oasis or Liam.