Liam Gallagher

plaskins

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I felt like that fell on the wrong side of the line between inspiration and imitation. Didn’t seem to be many of his own nuances to it. Tho it was a bonus track so maybe they thought the same.

Anyway, I’m bamboozled by the acceptance it’s getting. To me it doesn’t seem to be a step up from the maligned Beady Eye albums. I agree with @reflekting about the Little James over and over thing and I think the only heights it briefly reaches is ‘late-Oasis album track’ level. And all the NME-pandering namedrops, pop culture references and nods towards Noel; I realise that the music plays second fiddle to the public persona but I don’t think it’s all that necessary - people aren’t about to switch off if he doesn’t remark dismissively about selfies and One Direction.

I think that's a bit harsh!

In regards to his persona, what Liam has shown in my opinion is proper charisma. He's also shown how little of it there is in the music business at the moment, well in the "Rock n Roll" business. 

I think a lot of people had made up their minds about how good this album was before they had even heard it. The NME were always going to praise it as they have been crying out for some real characters again after the last few years of hipster dullards they have been reporting about. Liam fills inches for them. Just read this thread and the Oasis ones on this forum. There is a lot of negativity directed in Liam's direction so I am not shocked that there are negative vibes resonating from posters on here.

For me personally I found it difficult to listen to it impartially. I went for a drive yesterday with it on and could not work out whether I thought it was OK because it reminded me of good times from my youth or because I was really enjoying it. Now I have listened to it a couple of times and it is pleasent enough. Yet the telling thing is nothing has stuck in my head. There is not one song I can really remember, not one chorus I can't stop singing and not one melody I can hum. Contrast that to the new Morrissey single which I can't get out of my head.

I remember the 1st solo Ian Brown album coming out. It was a very naive effort and you could tell it was a man coming to terms with being a solo artist. Yet My Star, Corpses and Can't See Me still spring to mind 20 years later. As much as I would like to see Liam do well, I really can't see me remembering any tunes off this solo album in 20 years.

Edited by eastynh

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

In regards to his persona, what Liam has shown in my opinion is proper charisma. He's also shown how little of it there is in the music business at the moment, well in the "Rock n Roll" business. 

There's not much of it because there's not much call for it nowadays in rock music. Bands get by well enough and earn admiration through working hard, putting on captivating performances and using their platform to inform or inspire, and perhaps can't afford to/don't feel the need to be disrespectful or inflammatory. Give me that over a 45 year old dude whinging into an echo chamber about how bands are crap now and the world used to be better twenty years ago.

Obviously I appreciate that's who he is and he doesn't need to temper that down if his fans like it but the problem I had was with him anchoring his songs with randomly placed but seemingly contrived potshots and quotes that work to make the rest of it redundant.

20 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

By The Hindu Times I'm assuming you mean Heathen Chemistry, and it being anywhere other than right at the bottom makes this whole list null and void because that album is absolute dogshit.

Yes, my mistake I was actually listening to The Hindu Times at the time. Cracking number that one. I also think the album has some of Andy Bell's best work in Oasis. 

6 hours ago, dentalplan said:

There's not much of it because there's not much call for it nowadays in rock music. Bands get by well enough and earn admiration through working hard, putting on captivating performances and using their platform to inform or inspire, and perhaps can't afford to/don't feel the need to be disrespectful or inflammatory. Give me that over a 45 year old dude whinging into an echo chamber about how bands are crap now and the world used to be better twenty years ago.

Obviously I appreciate that's who he is and he doesn't need to temper that down if his fans like it but the problem I had was with him anchoring his songs with randomly placed but seemingly contrived potshots and quotes that work to make the rest of it redundant.

When I said Charisma, I didnt mean being "disrespectful or inflammatory". I just mean he is charismatic & catches your attention. Most decent rock singers have been in their own way. 

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with what Liam says. I get the impression he backs his convictions and he comes across as genuine.

He is far preferential to Noel who just comes across as a bully and picks on easy targets. I don't remember Liam ever taking pot shots at Ed Sheeran and the like, then cosying up to them at award ceremonies. Then there is the whole "I hope Blur/Damon die of aids'" episode before going on to lick his arse and appear on record with him.

Liam maybe a little rough round the edges, but he is a product of his environmentand what you see is what you get. Noel just strikes me as being sly and untrustworthy.

9 hours ago, eastynh said:

I remember the 1st solo Ian Brown album coming out. It was a very naive effort and you could tell it was a man coming to terms with being a solo artist. Yet My Star, Corpses and Can't See Me still spring to mind 20 years later. As much as I would like to see Liam do well, I really can't see me remembering any tunes off this solo album in 20 years.

Off topic, but you've reminded me of the disaster for recorded music that is the Roses reformation. We would have have two albums of Brown solo stuff by now, with miles better tunes on them than the Roses retro bollocks.

Stellify, F.E.A.R., the songs you mentioned - all better than the Roses 2 songs.  Ah well, let's hope he's working on solo stuff as we speak.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Off topic, but you've reminded me of the disaster for recorded music that is the Roses reformation. We would have have two albums of Brown solo stuff by now, with miles better tunes on them than the Roses retro bollocks.

Stellify, F.E.A.R., the songs you mentioned - all better than the Roses 2 songs.  Ah well, let's hope he's working on solo stuff as we speak.

I'm sure he will, just as soon as his solo work can earn him more than a few gigs every summer with the Roses does.

16 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Anyone saw this? Laughed like an idiot 

You shouldn't be able to call your child Lennon if you need the lyrics to Come Together printed off for you.

Edited by priest17
was a good laugh though to be fair.

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Listened to the new record over the weekend. Some of it was not quite as bad as I was expecting but I'll never listen to it again.

Better than the high flying birds guff that I've heard though.

People had pretty low expections & because its exceeded them some are going OTT. 

A facebook friend was convinced liams album would be definitely maybe reborn & was incredibly disappointed. 

On 16/02/2017 at 10:42 PM, plaskins said:

Thought I'd start a thread now Liam is listed as a SR on efests' lineup page.

I grew up with Oasis, and they fast became my go to, and favourite music. His voice was definitive of the 90s at least, and legendary. I know Gallagher related bashing goes hand in hand with this forum, so if the doubters/dislikers could be kind enough to refrain from joining in on this one.. Let's get along :P

For any fans on here, what are your favourite Liam penned songs to date (Oasis/Beady Eye?). I'll say Evil Eye or I'm Outta Time

Liam has a fair few dates already confirmed this year, I hope some album info/tour dates are on the horizon.

I'd be there with bells on (and I'm hoping this rumour is based on good info, not some bastard one;)). 

He's a cock imo but hey so is his brother BUT I would love to see them make up and get back to making music together because when they did it was fucking great.... 

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

The album's set to break 100k sales this week, which is around each of Beady Eye's albums' opening weeks combined. That's a ridiculous upturn. I know Noel has an open goal when it comes to the battle for quality of albums this year but I'd be surprised if he outstrips the sales.

I wonder how many people pre-ordered the album to get pre-sale access to his tour (I imagine to hear him do Oasis songs)?

Surprised nobody's mentioned that he did an AMA the other night.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/75bxpe/im_liam_gallagher_and_you_are_not/

He can be just as funny as his brother sometimes, but in a different way.

I think my favourite was:

"What's your favourite jacket"?

"Jacket potato".

On 11/10/2017 at 11:08 AM, addicted2noise said:

I wonder how many people pre-ordered the album to get pre-sale access to his tour (I imagine to hear him do Oasis songs)?

103k sales and about 94,000 of which were proper, so you may be right. Those stats are insane tho.

Highest selling vinyl (in the space of one week) for twenty years by some margin. Can't imagine peeps will wanna play it for years to come but at least it doubles as a stunning 12" portrait of yer man.