• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

Led Zep

REM

whoever the biggest pop star is at the time a la Adele/Sheeran

Hmm.. would think if they're inundated with offers now then there won't be so many 'at the time' bookings. Unless they can accurately predict who'll be top of the pile at that point but it'll probably be those two still. :lol:

Acts already in their seventies being booked for it when there's a festival in the interim seems off to me, but I suppose they're only pencilling in at this stage and there's probs bound to be one.

Oasis and U2 seem good shouts for the two in the bag, from the other thread.

Edited by dentalplan

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

U2 would be a possibility, but I doubt Oasis are committing to anything that far away.

Coldplay and Arctic Monkeys innit.

Wouldn't everything Oasis commit to be far away? Would give them at least two years of stadiums or other fests.

Foolish as it may be, I legit don't think Coldplay will headline. A special guest slot wouldn't be out of bounds but it just seems too god damn recent - they'll only have one album out before then.

I recall people mentioning Blur a lot too. That would suit Gorillaz taking priority for this next couple of years and obviously Albarn will wanna be involved somewhere.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I recall people mentioning Blur a lot too. That would suit Gorillaz taking priority for this next couple of years and obviously Albarn will wanna be involved somewhere.

Yeah, put in the other thread too but Blur would be my guess. Timing should work out for them to be back around by then and it's definitely the sort of thing they'd go for.

Edited by Mash011

Although I'll probably eat my own words I agree with dental that Coldplay seem unlikely. I mean, they'll be there in some capacity, but headlining again would be a bit of a piss take, especially if the festival has got other acts coming to them about doing it (assuming one of those acts isn't fucking Coldplay...)

Hey - I don't think anyone's genuinely expecting anything *exciting* are they?  It'll be 4 years, which is obviously way too soon if you dislike Coldplay, but on the other hand the festival aren't going to turn them down if they offer.

35 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Wouldn't everything Oasis commit to be far away? Would give them at least two years of stadiums or other fests.

Given that they're no longer a band in any meaningful sense I wouldn't have thought they'd be committing to anything at all.  I know a lot of people think that this split is some sort of strategic chess game for 'publicity' ahead of a comeback or something, but to me it seems pretty legit and any eventual comeback will be predicated on gigs with a way shorter lead time than 3 years to lessen the possibility of it all imploding again.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

U2 would be a possibility, but I doubt Oasis are committing to anything that far away.

Coldplay and Arctic Monkeys innit.

Think Arctics for 2019, Oasis no for me and U2. I think the Pink Floyd one's will be the Legends slot or maybe sub given the year. It has potential to exceed thos year throughout.

45 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Although I'll probably eat my own words I agree with dental that Coldplay seem unlikely. I mean, they'll be there in some capacity, but headlining again would be a bit of a piss take, especially if the festival has got other acts coming to them about doing it (assuming one of those acts isn't fucking Coldplay...)

That's possibly true although I still think they'd day we are free/would like it bit shouldn't be really.

8 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I think the Pink Floyd one's will be the Legends slot or maybe sub given the year.

Enormous fan of Pink Floyd, but with Rick Wright not longer being with us the 0% chance of another Floyd gig (let alone festival show) is now approx -100%.

Gilmour is still absolutely smashing his solo shows but in my opinion is far to big for anything other than a headline slot, which isn't a booking I think would ever be made.

Rogers ego wouldn't allow anything lower than a Headline and isn't half as appealing as Gilmour solo. His shows are more of a theatre production than a 'usual' music gig.

Edited by Wilfko

16 minutes ago, Diva Sam said:

If one of them is not Led Zeppelin then there is no point making a big deal about anniversary bookings. 

It won't be, and it's a reasonable bet that the festival won't make a big deal about the bookings either.  They'll celebrate the anniversary, sure, but on the whole the headliners will still look like yer average year.

14 minutes ago, Wilfko said:

Enormous fan of Pink Floyd, but with Rick Wright not longer being with us the 0% chance of another Floyd gig (let alone festival show) is now approx -100%.

Gilmour is still absolutely smashing his solo shows but in my opinion is far to big for anything other than a headline slot, which isn't a booking I think would ever be made.

Rogers ego wouldn't allow anything lower than a Headline and isn't half as appealing as Gilmour solo. His shows are more of a theatre production than a 'usual' music gig.

That's fair, Rogers and Mason I did mean. I think if Rogers and Mason really want to do it they will probably realize tbey won't be offered headline.

8 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I think the Pink Floyd one's will be the Legends slot or maybe sub given the year.

Imagine the scenario; after years of tense negotiations navigating Waters' heavy touring schedule and Gilmour's complete reluctance to revive the Pink Floyd name, a breakthrough is made, contracts signed. Then follows a lengthy period where they try to settle on a setlist that is agreeable to all parties. Gilmour, as at Live 8, calls the shots as Waters isn't technically a member of Floyd anymore, and eventually they agree on a setlist.

Then they're told they're supporting the Arctic Monkeys.

8 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Imagine the scenario; after years of tense negotiations navigating Waters' heavy touring schedule and Gilmour's complete reluctance to revive the Pink Floyd name, a breakthrough is made, contracts signed. Then follows a lengthy period where they try to settle on a setlist that is agreeable to all parties. Gilmour, as at Live 8, calls the shots as Waters isn't technically a member of Floyd anymore, and eventually they agree on a setlist.

Brilliant :lol:

3 hours ago, henry bear said:

Or you could just read where I said Roger and Mason 

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Or you could just read where I said Roger and Mason 

Do you mean Gilmour and Mason? Roger Waters left Pink Floyd.

28 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

The Smiths need to put their differences aside and get on that stage for the 50th birthday bash. 

Gosh this would be awful. I do like The Smiths but it'd essentially be a bunch of ex-pats in their late 50's doing songs that haven't aged terribly well centred around teenage feelings and growing up in 80's Manchester. I'm pretty sure Morrissey and Marr (they could go on with just them two, no doubt) have actually reconciled but know what a terrible idea it would be.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Gosh this would be awful. I do like The Smiths but it'd essentially be a bunch of ex-pats in their late 50's doing songs that haven't aged terribly well centred around teenage feelings and growing up in 80's Manchester. I'm pretty sure Morrissey and Marr (they could go on with just them two, no doubt) have actually reconciled but know what a terrible idea it would be.

I think Marr said something recently about them attempting to reunite around 2007/8 and it looking really viable, until they both got on with their own careers and realised things are just too different to tour.