Sleeper

Joshuwarr

So we've seen a rush of Britpop and popular 90s bands reunite in recent years and it seems that Sleeper are next. They're playing 4 "exclusive" shows at the Star Shaped Festival https://twitter.com/StarShapedClub/status/831593606389567489

Despite the shows being "exclusive" I saw Louise Wener on Twitter say they were the only shows "for now". Any chance they could be snapped up in time for Glasto :)?

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

She's an author.

If anything, this is indicative of troubled times in the publishing industry.

Or her books are shit? (They might not be - I don't know)

As for sleeper - I used to like them, but I was 11 at the time. Can't say I have heard anything of them since

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

15 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

genuinely clicked in to this thread expecting it to be about all those who sleep in the crowd.

something which has always baffled me.

i was expecting a question about an overnight bus service with beds to the festival

i was more interested in they few seconds before i clicked 

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

She's an author.

If anything, this is indicative of troubled times in the publishing industry.

Doesn't seem a prolific one. Wouldn't you have to be a real big deal to have one book published every five years and live comfortably?

18 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

genuinely clicked in to this thread expecting it to be about all those who sleep in the crowd.

Alcohol?

4 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Or her books are shit? (They might not be - I don't know)

As for sleeper - I used to like them, but I was 11 at the time. Can't say I have heard anything of them since

I was once stuck in a remote part of the world with little in the way of entertainment, but I did have access to a copy of Louise Wener's autobiography, which I read. It promised a behind the scenes look at Britpop. It delivered chapter after chapter about her perfectly happy middle class upbringing, then some stuff about her band, who were just as dull. 

Shite. 

11 hours ago, JoeyT said:

It's really easy (and possibly unavoidable) when you've walked about ten miles that day and didn't sleep much the night before because campsite w*nkers (looking at you, NOS twats).

Even more so when it's a wet one. And you haven't found anywhere to sit down all day. And then a nice tractor deposits a huge bunch of fresh, dry hay bales to the edge of The Pyramid field. As happened to me during Manic Street Preachers in '07 (I think. May have been '05. Can't be arsed to look). One of the best lie downs I've ever had.

(Though @dentalplan is probably correct with the answer "alcohol".)

Edit: To stay on thread, didn't Louise Wener make Damon Albarn cry? Or was that someone else?

Edit2: Yeah, I'm now thinking that was that Justine from Elastica wasn't it?

Edited by MrZigster

6 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

Haha, cheeky! I can't speak for the guys in the band but Louise seems to be doing well enough with her writing. 

It was a pisstake comment, but there's definitely a theme of it being around 20 years when bands reform - and I doubt money isn't in the mix of that.

What's really REALLY fucking sad, tho, is no one is protesting about that - that these people are being paid to sit on their arse for 20 years doing nothing useful towards society, because they once did 5 minutes work on a popular song.

Society will be fucked up for at least as long as the copyright rules stay at about what they are.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

It was a pisstake comment, but there's definitely a theme of it being around 20 years when bands reform - and I doubt money isn't in the mix of that.

What's really REALLY fucking sad, tho, is no one is protesting about that - that these people are being paid to sit on their arse for 20 years doing nothing useful towards society, because they once did 5 minutes work on a popular song.

Society will be fucked up for at least as long as the copyright rules stay at about what they are.

There's literally just been a discussion about how one of them is an (unprolific, granted) author now...