1st EOTR

dirty_dog

Hi Guys,

had EOTR on my to do list for a couple of years now and with Father John, Band of Horses and Carseat Headrest playing I think this year could be the one but just need pushing over the line.

what's this festival like and does it compare to any other festivals?

also my folks are thinking of coming but with dodgy knee's and ankles will they survive ?

Cheers

It's a very friendly festival with the emphasis on good music.

There are always good options on the food and drinks outlets (have a look on their website nearer the time)

The site itself is pretty compact with all the stages and amenities within easy walking distance and on flat ground and is in one of the most picturesque setting for a festival, particularly the Garden Stage, sometimes with peacocks mingling with the audience (and if you are lucky you may even catch a glimpse of the resident macaws), with a comedy stage, disco, library, art installations, games area and a couple of very small stages that hold secret sets all hidden away in the woods

The camping area is situated near to the stages and amenities and is well served for toilets that are regularly cleaned and maintained.

The only down side is that from the car park to the camping area there is a stretch that is a bit on the hilly side - I had open heart surgery 3 years ago and haven't had a problem with the incline the last couple of years.

Hope that this is some help and you all decide to come.

16 hours ago, dirty_dog said:

Hi Guys,

had EOTR on my to do list for a couple of years now and with Father John, Band of Horses and Carseat Headrest playing I think this year could be the one but just need pushing over the line.

what's this festival like and does it compare to any other festivals?

also my folks are thinking of coming but with dodgy knee's and ankles will they survive ?

Cheers

It's very relaxed. Minimal security presence. Largely very polite and well behaved crowds. Amazing food and drink. Is being your own booze. There is very little walking required as the stages are generally a 5 - 10mins apart. The camp site is a decent size and it's easy to pitch near the arena, campsite is generally really quiet.

Sound quality is across the board very good, the most consistent of any festival I've attended with the garden stage having the best sound of any outdoor stage I've ever heard

If you want to see comedy that may be the only issue you'll have if mobility is an issue  as its on a steep hill in the woods.

If you wish to save pennies it is BYOB. 

There are a decent number of side activities such as art installations and games in the woods. 

Bands generally seem on very high spirits at end of the road festival and as a result turn in better performances, also they always have pretty generous slots with no set lasting less than 45mins with the odd exception.

There is very little bottlenecking and crowding and it's generally easy to get from point a to b. Some bars can get pretty large queues.

It's not a druggy festival, odd spliff withstanding, and people are well behaved even into the wee hours. I've never seen any troublemakers personally.

The toilets are well stocked on toilet roll and are cleaned religiously on site. Camp toilets can get a bit mucky.

It rained  a lot last year but this didn't affect the ground much and didn't make travelling any harder.

Edited by Yesiamaduck

On 2/13/2017 at 4:52 PM, dirty_dog said:

great thanks, sounds a lot like Green Man Festival   

It is, basically, like Green Man. Without the mud. OR the stunning backdrop of Sugar Loaf mountain (although the gardens that EOTR is set are very pretty. With peacocks roaming around with you). OR the shitty toilets (EOTR bogs are the BEST festie bogs in the UK. Flushing portaloo's!!!).

Also, the cinema is now in a purpose built building. This means, at busy times, forget it. As capacity is limited.

But.....yeah. I cant add much more. Its a great place! The arsehole quota is very minimal, the sound is always great, it never 'feels' cramped, the food & grub is yum (and if yr skint, taking yr own booze & grub into the 'arena' is a plus). I Love it there! :)

Great music (through mostly phenomenal sound systems), great beer, great food, actually usable toilets. 

Other than "the hill" (steep but short) on the way into the campsite, it's a flat site to get around.

I gave it a try once and I think this year will be my ninth visit. Out of eight years I can remember it pouring down on two occasions, one being the Saturday of last year.

Do it!

1 hour ago, dirty_dog said:

thanks guys,

I'm off to Belgium in the Campervan for the Grand Prix and was going to stop off at Brugge on the way but will do it on the way back now so that we can time it right to come to EOTR.

when do the tickets sellout and do the Campervan tickets go quickly?

Usually sells out a couple weeks before the festival, though you can pay £40 per head now and pay as much/as little off each day/week/month up until June if you want to spread the cost and secure your ticket (and campervan spot) early.  

And remember - the price increases as you move through the tiers, so it will cost more nearer the time of the festival.

It's a great, chilled festival.

The one thing I can think to mention is I wouldn't say it gets wild in the evening, if that's your sort of thing. A very low idiot count. It's great!

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2017 at 3:45 PM, Suggestives said:

I've been once and this year's line-up has me very interested in going again.

The only thing I'd add to what other have said is that it can get very cold at night. If the folks are staying in a tent make sure they have plenty of warm bedding.

yes I know what you mean as I go to Festival No 6 every year and usually falls on the same weekend.

if you get good weather the nights will most certainly be cold with clear skies.

• 5 months later...

Can anyone remember from last year what queuing was like on Thursday?

From memory, last time I went (2014) we queued when the gates opened, but after a couple of hours there was zero queue at all...

Trying to work out best time to arrive with x2 sprogs on Thursday. Currently considering getting there early.

Cheers people!!