Leaving the Campervan Field on the Monday after

IanBelfast

Hi,

I'm a Glasto first timer, so no previous experience to draw on. This year I'll be in the Campervan Field East; and on the Monday after I'm dropping my two (big) kids off a Bristol airport so they can fly home and we can then enjoy a lovely week of RnR in Cornwall.

I was just wondering what the traffic is like leaving Campervan Field East on the Monday. Are there huge queues to leave the fields and then to head East towards Bristol? Or does it all flow fairly easily?

I know this is all fairly weather dependent, and last year was probably as bad as it gets. But if any one has been in Campervan Field East a few times and can give me an idea of how long to allow to get out of the field on the Monday it will help with the planning.

Their flight is late in the day, so I'm not worried about them missing it, but I'd like to be leaving the field around 11:00 or 12:00.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, IanBelfast said:

I was just wondering what the traffic is like leaving Campervan Field East on the Monday. Are there huge queues to leave the fields and then to head East towards Bristol? Or does it all flow fairly easily?

Yes. You might queue for hours to get out of the CV field, down the lanes and onto the main roads.... tho I don't actually know myself, cos I'm out of there before 7am to make sure I'm not queuing.

Be warned: when you leave the lanes, they'll direct you right, to the south, and not towards Bristol. If you go about 1/2 mile up that road there's a layby (really an old road) off the left as the road bares right towards the top of the hill. Use that to turn round, and then go back down the hill towards Bristol.

If traffic is flowing OK you need to allow an hour at minimum from there to Bristol (it's normally moving OK, but more like 30mph than the more normal 45mph on those roads).

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like there is a peak moving time from mid morning to lunch time. Does it calm down quickly in the early afternoon?

The flight is not until evening, so I'll definitely get them there for that. (And if I drop them early they they can spend the day hanging around Bristol airport.) It's the 4hr+ drive to St Ives after I drop them off I need to think about now.

We left before 7am and there was no traffic but still had to turn right. I didn't know about the lay by eFestivals mentioned and ended up and down country roads, with corners I'm not sure I'd make in the caravan im taking this year.

will take this advice on board. Only problem leaving at that time is meeting the traffic going into Bristol. 

Did consider going via bath towards the North?

• 2 weeks later...

From the festival site to Bristol airport, the quickest/easiest route is North up the A37, turn left at The Mendip Inn crossroads, to go cross-country through the Mendips, via Burrington Combe.  It's the route take and i'm local(ish). 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.1692604,-2.5374924/Bristol+Airport,+Bristol/@51.2789347,-2.7860197,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x48718ea8a8ed263f:0xd844daddcc2849c4!2m2!1d-2.7135463!2d51.3836304

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 4:39 PM, IanBelfast said:

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like there is a peak moving time from mid morning to lunch time. Does it calm down quickly in the early afternoon?

The flight is not until evening, so I'll definitely get them there for that. (And if I drop them early they they can spend the day hanging around Bristol airport.) It's the 4hr+ drive to St Ives after I drop them off I need to think about now.

There's a gamble on how long it takes to leave the fields. My mate once left before 8 and still took an hour to get on the first exit road, before joining the queue all the way to the main road, so the queues do start early.  One year I did the turn right then U turn to come back on the same road to Bristol and it was very slow going.  As it's an evening flight, you have more flexibility. Hope it goes well!