Dissertation survey on the normalisation of recreational drugs at dance music festivals

JLWilliams17

Hey guys, i am doing a dissertation on drug culture at festivals. Questions ask basic demographics, views on festivals and general drug use. Answers are anonymous and will take 4 minutes max. Please help a sister out and complete a survey! It will be very much appreciated ! Thanks :)  https://mmuqstep.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6VzXB38swTGh1yd

https://mmuqstep.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6VzXB38swTGh1yd

Edited by JLWilliams17

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, JLWilliams17 said:

Hey guys, i am doing a dissertation on drug culture at festivals. Question ask basic demographics, views on festivals and general drug use. Answers are anonymous and will take 4 minutes mas. Please help a sister out! It will be very much appreciated ! Thanks :) 

A link to the actual questions might be a good start.

Done but bit of a problem answering some of the questions due to including alcohol in the list of drugs. Yes, it's a drug of sorts but it doesn't really fit in the same catagory of illegal drugs does it?

Alcohol testing, offered alcohol, taken more than one type of alcohol etc. sounds a bit daft. Probably fair enough to include it but I think you need to make a clear distinction between legal and illegal drugs. 

26 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Done but bit of a problem answering some of the questions due to including alcohol in the list of drugs. Yes, it's a drug of sorts but it doesn't really fit in the same catagory of illegal drugs does it?

Alcohol testing, offered alcohol, taken more than one type of alcohol etc. sounds a bit daft. Probably fair enough to include it but I think you need to make a clear distinction between legal and illegal drugs. 

Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer the survey. Its really appreciated ! Yes i understand this. The dissertation is predominantly for illegal drug use. However alcohol and legal highs were included in the multiple answer questions in order to make distinctions between the two. But yee, fair comment  

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

When it comes to the 'normalisation of recreational drugs' I'd say alcohol is the most important to talk about though. People treat it like it's nothing and that it's somehow safer than illegal drugs just because the law allows it, which isn't the case at all

900px-Rational_harm_assessment_of_drugs_Drug_danger_and_dependence.png

Edited by Chawk

7 hours ago, JLWilliams17 said:

Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer the survey. Its really appreciated ! Yes i understand this. The dissertation is predominantly for illegal drug use. However alcohol and legal highs were included in the multiple answer questions in order to make distinctions between the two. But yee, fair comment  

Thanks for taking the time to respond, it's more than most dissertation people do.

6 hours ago, Chawk said:

When it comes to the 'normalisation of recreational drugs' I'd say alcohol is the most important to talk about though. People treat it like it's nothing and that it's somehow safer than illegal drugs just because the law allows it, which isn't the case at all

Oh yes, I get that. I just thought that some of the questions didn't make sense if you where purely thinking about alcohol (the only drug I take). I think it just needed separating out.

7 hours ago, Chawk said:

11 minutes ago, bexj said:

11 minutes ago, bexj said:

7 hours ago, Chawk said:

Done this for you. Good luck.

Always amazes me that weed is the least harmful and dependant, especially against alcohol. Yet people always turn their nose up at it.

It's certainly the drug I most enjoy, especially at festivals.

Edited by dreadwing

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Thanks for taking the time to respond, it's more than most dissertation people do.

Oh yes, I get that. I just thought that some of the questions didn't make sense if you where purely thinking about alcohol (the only drug I take). I think it just needed separating out.

1 hour ago, dreadwing said:

Always amazes me that weed is the least harmful and dependant, especially against alcohol. Yet people always turn their nose up at it.

Aww thankyou very much ! Thats similar to Davids Nutts harm score in which he measured the harm of each drug, and alcohol was the most harmful. And yes i strongly agree. I have been conducting interviews along side the surveys, and everybody so far has claimed that they perceive that alcohol and illegal drugs are the same, because of the harm of alcohol, and inaccuracy of the classification system. For instance, when cannabis was rescheduled to a class c, negative media perceptions made cannabis be rescheduled back to a class b, despite the it not being the appropriate classification. So far, everyone has claimed that cannabis is their drug of choice throughout the festival, im on a similar track 

8 hours ago, Chawk said:

Thankyou for sending this. Thats similar to Davids Nutts harm score in which he measured the harm of each drug, and alcohol was the most harmful. And yes i strongly agree. I have been conducting interviews along side the surveys, and everybody so far has claimed that they perceive that alcohol and illegal drugs are the same, because of the harm of alcohol, and inaccuracy of the classification system. For instance, when cannabis was rescheduled to a class c, negative media perceptions made cannabis be rescheduled back to a class b, despite the it not being the appropriate classification. So far, everyone has claimed that cannabis is their drug of choice throughout the festival, so im I'm on a similar track. The normalisation thesis is theory about illegal drugs. So whilst i have included alcohol for respondents, and to be able to compare statistics, it isnt the sole focus of the study. But yes, that is definitely something i will take note of for my interviews ! 

1 hour ago, dreadwing said:

Thankyou very much ! Well so far, from the interviews everyone has stated that they see illegal substances and alcohol as the same, due to the harmfulness of alcohol, and inaccuracy of the classification system. Cannabis is been the most predominant drug so far, so i am on a similar track . A lot of people have stated how cannabis is more social, and allows people to make friends with their campsite neighbours, so ye, id defo say its the preferred drug so far

12 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Survey completed. I must say that a little scintilla of guilt came over me when inputting the type of drugs I've taken. However, that's probably just a throw back to my Roman Catholic upbringing, so I'm going to choose to ignore it.

As a lapsed Protestant....it just made me want to take drugs at a festival 

1 hour ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Can anyone exlain why shrooms are illegal? They are basicaly nature's way of chilling out and appreciating the planet.

I seem to remember them being legal in the UK not so long ago...in Australia they are illegal but it is the world's greatest Nanny state.

Exactly.. Who knows. According to David Nutts harm score, they are the least harmful as well