Download 2018

Hart Attack

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Architects have a new song and it is bloody fantastic. It's a song that Tom started writing but didn't get to finish. It sounds MASSIVE. They're the best metal band on the planet right now. 

AC needs to give them third down in 2018. He just has to. 

It's a big statement saying they're the best metal band on the planet that I don't agree with, but I do love them to bits and they totally deserve 3rd down in 2018. Put them below Metallica (and another big band) to give them maximum exposure as they surely have to be one of the bands the industry pushes as a harder band when more of the golden oldies call it a day.

Edited by KingPin

5 hours ago, KingPin said:

It's a big statement saying they're the best metal band on the planet that I don't agree with, but I do love them to bits and they totally deserve 3rd down in 2018. Put them below Metallica (and another big band) to give them maximum exposure as they surely have to be one of the bands the industry pushes as a harder band when more of the golden oldies call it a day.

I'm probably being very biased, but I just think that they are on such a tear at the moment. AOGHAU was stunning and was widely lauded as so, the Ally Pally show half selling in only one hour (it's up to 70% now and it hasn't even been a week yet) and the new song being praised left right and centre (all I've seen are other artists praising them on twitter all day). I don't know, I just feel that there is something massive coming from them and that they are going to go stratospheric (in the metal world, anyway). If they aren't the best metal band on the planet right now, they are head and shoulders the best in Britain at the moment. And all of despite the loss of Tom who was their chief songwriter and the leader of the band. 

They NEED a third down slot. Imagine them playing below Metallica and Stone Sour, for example. The amount of new fans they would pick up at Download would be massive. 

As you've said, they are THE band that the industry should (and will, imo) get behind.

Edited by Andre91

I've had a play around with my prediction. I think I've accepted it won't be NIN and I'm now passed that little fantasy. I'm back to thinking it'll be Def Leppard playing Hysteria in full because that's shite and there's usually a shiter day at Download I'm not interested in. 

Avenged Sevenfold / Enter Shikari / Parkway Drive / Black Veil Brides / Hatebreed / Thy Art Is Murder / Code Orange 

Placebo / At The Drive In / Cancer Bats / Napalm Death 

New Found Glory 

Metallica / Stone Sour / Architects / Trivium / While She Sleeps / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes / Stick To Your Guns / The One Hundred 

You Me At Six / Neck Deep / PVRIS / The Bronx 

Beartooth

Def Leppard / Poison / Volbeat / Alice In Chains / Ugly Kid Joe / Avatar / Blackberry Smoke / Turbowolf

Ghost / Behemoth / Paradise Lost / Decapitated 

Converge 

Edited by Andre91

48 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I'm probably being very biased, but I just think that they are on such a tear at the moment. AOGHAU was stunning and was widely lauded as so, the Ally Pally show half selling in only one hour (it's up to 70% now and it hasn't even been a week yet) and the new song being praised left right and centre (all I've seen are other artists praising them on twitter all day). I don't know, I just feel that there is something massive coming from them and that they are going to go stratospheric (in the metal world, anyway). If they aren't the best metal band on the planet right now, they are head and shoulders the best in Britain at the moment. And all of despite the loss of Tom who was their chief songwriter and the leader of the band. 

They NEED a third down slot. Imagine them playing below Metallica and Stone Sour, for example. The amount of new fans they would pick up at Download would be massive. 

As you've said, they are THE band that the industry should (and will, imo) get behind.

Oh don't get me wrong they're on a rocket to outer space (and I'm glad they are and I'm glad they're the hot thing right now), and they're probably the best large sized metal band from the UK (and in it) at the minute,  but head and shoulders? While She Sleeps will have a word with you (it's a massive shame they're not rocketing up right now, and I half expected the song with Oli Sykes to do more for them than it has). But to say the whole world? I'm sorry but no, AOGHAU was in my top ten last year, but there are so many bands that are unbelievable live that have been working at a higher level for longer IMO to call them the best metal band, just talking about bands who released stuff last year Insomnium and Every Time I Die released better albums and have been at a higher level for much much longer. And that's before we even start talking about the stupidity that is Vektors Terminal Redux.

For certain though they're up there and are a phenomenal band.

29 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I've had a play around with my prediction. I think I've accepted it won't be NIN and I'm now passed that little fantasy. I'm back to thinking it'll be Def Leppard playing Hysteria in full because that's shite and there's usually a shiter day at Download I'm not interested in. 

Avenged Sevenfold / Enter Shikari / Parkway Drive / Black Veil Brides / Hatebreed / Thy Art Is Murder / Code Orange 

Placebo / At The Drive In / Cancer Bats / Napalm Death 

New Found Glory 

Metallica / Stone Sour / Architects / Trivium / While She Sleeps / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes / Stick To Your Guns / The One Hundred 

You Me At Six / Neck Deep / PVRIS / The Bronx 

Beartooth

Def Leppard / Poison / Volbeat / Alice In Chains / Ugly Kid Joe / Avatar / Blackberry Smoke / Turbowolf

Ghost / Behemoth / Paradise Lost / Decapitated 

Converge 

That's my idea from the Download fest forums hahaha :lol: It NEEDS to happen though.

10 hours ago, KingPin said:

Oh don't get me wrong they're on a rocket to outer space (and I'm glad they are and I'm glad they're the hot thing right now), and they're probably the best large sized metal band from the UK (and in it) at the minute,  but head and shoulders? While She Sleeps will have a word with you (it's a massive shame they're not rocketing up right now, and I half expected the song with Oli Sykes to do more for them than it has). But to say the whole world? I'm sorry but no, AOGHAU was in my top ten last year, but there are so many bands that are unbelievable live that have been working at a higher level for longer IMO to call them the best metal band, just talking about bands who released stuff last year Insomnium and Every Time I Die released better albums and have been at a higher level for much much longer. And that's before we even start talking about the stupidity that is Vektors Terminal Redux.

For certain though they're up there and are a phenomenal band.

That's my idea from the Download fest forums hahaha :lol: It NEEDS to happen though.

I think they're above Sleeps, who I have as a very clear second. Architects have a wider appeal than WSS, who still don't seem to have rocketed off despite releasing a stunning album this year. Whilst Low Teens is a banger,  I don't class ETID as a metal band. For me, AOGHAU was the best metal album of 2016 and had it not been for Touché Amoré, it it would have been my outright album of the year. Gojira weren't far behind, though. 

I thought 2016 was the best year for music in a bloody long, long time and never expected 2017 to compare, but it has matched it step for step for me, if not exceeded it. There have been some ridiculous albums this year. Out of interest, what's your Top 10 at the moment? Mine is: 

1. The Menzingers - After The Party 
2. Code Orange - Forever 
3. Brand New - Science Fiction 
4. While She Sleeps - You Are We 
5. The Smith Street Band - More Scared of You Than You Are of Me 
6.  Sorority Noise - Not As ___ As You Think 
7. Creeper - Eternity In Your Arms 
8. Decapitated - Anticult 
9. Neck Deep - The Peace and The Panic
10. Power Trip - Nightmare Logic 

Christ, that was hard :lol: you've also got Employed To Serve, Mastodon, Hyborian (I implore everyone to check that one out), Darkest Hour, DREAMCAR and more. So so many great albums. 

Edited by Andre91

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I think they're above Sleeps, who I have as a very clear second. Architects have a wider appeal than WSS, who still don't seem to have rocketed off despite releasing a stunning album this year. Whilst Low Teens is a banger,  I don't class ETID as a metal band. For me, AOGHAU was the best metal album of 2016 and had it not been for Touché Amoré, it it would have been my outright album of the year. Gojira weren't far behind, though. 

I thought 2016 was the best year for music in a bloody long, long time and never expected 2017 to compare, but it has matched it step for step for me, if not exceeded it. There have been some ridiculous albums this year. Out of interest, what's your Top 10 at the moment? Mine is: 

2. Code Orange - Forever 

Christ, that was hard :lol: you've also got Employed To Serve, Mastodon, Hyborian (I implore everyone to check that one out), Darkest Hour, DREAMCAR and more. So so many great albums. 

ETID are a metalcore band dude. Yeah I really don't understand why the past 2 Sleeps albums haven't done much much more for the band than they have, but TBF to them they are slowly getting there, and comparing them to Architects is a bit harsh when you consider Architects have released 7 albums to Sleeps 3. I agree 2016 was top notch for music, so many really really good records, and I thought this year wasn't really holding up to it that well until mid-july to August hit and beat 2016 to a pulp.

Christ don't do this to me I'm still trying to catch up on 2016 let alone have had enough time with 2017 material to properly absorb and compartmentalise the stuff that's come out. Just going off my Sputnik ratings (which aren't accurate at all, as for example I have The Menzingers - After The Party as a 3.5, which is so far from what I think it's not true, and I've not rated everything on it yet haha) I have BN - Sci-Fi, Paramore - After Laughter and Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile To The Surface all as 5's, but really Paramore's record has grown off me, and the other two are the clear standouts so far this year. I have WSS - You Are We, Windmills - Stay Golden and Creeper- Eternity in Your Arms all at 4.5, then Neck Deep - The Peace and The Panic and Greywind - Afterthoughts at 4, and then loads at 3.5. So I guess my top 10 would look something like this at the minute, but likely it'll be a LOT different come the end of the year

1. Brand New - Science Fiction
2. Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile To The Surface
3. While She Sleeps - You Are We
4. Paramore - After Laughter
5. Windmills - Stay Golden
6. The Menzingers - After The Party
7. Neck Deep - The Peace and The Panic and Greywind
8. Creeper- Eternity in Your Arms
9. Greywind - Afterthoughts
10. Paradise Lost - Medusa

But for a lot of the albums this year that I've listened to they've maybe had 2 or 3 spins tops, and I'd say only the top 8 on this list has had a great deal more than 10 listens through, and I've barely checked out any extreme metal this year. Then there's stuff that's growing off me (like the Paramore record is doing at the moment a lot and Creeper and Greywinds records a little bit) and stuff that's growing on me pretty hard like Royal Bloods record at the minute that I cant' stop listening too.

Edited by KingPin

BMTH (First UK Headline show at a festival, and they deserve it)

FOOS (I reckon A C has done it. He secured Muse the other year, he has Foos now) Failing that, Green Day. 

SLIPKNOT (Recording new album in November, should have some new tunes out by June)

'ow baw tha?

2 minutes ago, Hawky said:

BMTH (First UK Headline show at a festival, and they deserve it)

FOOS (I reckon A C has done it. He secured Muse the other year, he has Foos now) Failing that, Green Day. 

SLIPKNOT (Recording new album in November, should have some new tunes out by June)

'ow baw tha?

Would be an absolute dream, however i'm pretty sold on metallica being there as it coincides with the end of their euro tour and they haven't played since '12. 

Just now, callum97 said:

Would be an absolute dream, however i'm pretty sold on metallica being there as it coincides with the end of their euro tour and they haven't played since '12. 

From the interviews i have seen, Metallica want to get back in the studio ASAP. Who knows?

Just now, Hawky said:

From the interviews i have seen, Metallica want to get back in the studio ASAP. Who knows?

I just think A C has nabbed them as they would sell huge amount of tickets and the timings just right.  However BMTH / FOOS / SLIPKNOT are an awesome trio of headliners but it won't happen, i'm sure AC wants to continue with the 'old rock day' which metallica could fit into or unfortunately Def Leppard seem likely to fit into that.

5 minutes ago, callum97 said:

I just think A C has nabbed them as they would sell huge amount of tickets and the timings just right.  However BMTH / FOOS / SLIPKNOT are an awesome trio of headliners but it won't happen, i'm sure AC wants to continue with the 'old rock day' which metallica could fit into or unfortunately Def Leppard seem likely to fit into that.

Traditions are made to be broken! 

I can't see it being Slipknot, they've done the festival loads, it will take them forever to get a new album out and Corey is currently doing Stone Sour, who will be at Download next year as a sub imo, I think that's an almost certainty. 

Im also beginning to think the Bring Me ship has sailed tbh, I just cant see the next album keeping the momentum and because they didn't headline in 2016 I can see them going the other way on festival bills a little bit. 

51 minutes ago, KingPin said:

I can't see it being Slipknot, they've done the festival loads, it will take them forever to get a new album out and Corey is currently doing Stone Sour, who will be at Download next year as a sub imo, I think that's an almost certainty. 

Im also beginning to think the Bring Me ship has sailed tbh, I just cant see the next album keeping the momentum and because they didn't headline in 2016 I can see them going the other way on festival bills a little bit. 

I really want to see Slipknot headline R+L, feel like they're the last metal band that could

On 06/09/2017 at 10:53 AM, Andre91 said:

Architects have a new song and it is bloody fantastic. It's a song that Tom started writing but didn't get to finish. It sounds MASSIVE. They're the best metal band on the planet right now

AC needs to give them third down in 2018. He just has to. 

It's Converge m8

10 hours ago, Andre91 said:

2. Code Orange - Forever 

Without too much thought

1. Brand New - Science Fiction 
  2. Sorority Noise - You're Not As _____ As You Think
  3. Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me
  4. Swordfish - Rhodia
  5. Oliver Houston - Whatever Works
  6. Ostraca - Last
  7. Paramore - After The Laughter
  8. Idles - Brutalism
  9. Gnarwolves - Outsiders
  10. Lorde - Melodrama 

I do want to give props to Captain We're Sinking, Remo Drive, Tera Melos, The Menzingers, Tricot and Shizune for their albums and I'll say the EPs from Hot Mulligan, Slaughter Beach Dog, Nine Inch Nails and Chinese Football were also very good. Still got lots to look forward; Seaway, Arcane Roots, Slotface, Enter Shikari, Wolves In The Throne Room, The World Is A Beautiful Place..., Knuckle Puck and Converge. Shaping to be an alright year I'd say

14 minutes ago, FindingBigfoot said:

DWN188.thumb.png.b9475bd96aa44e3690f4092595c710ef.png

First attempt/Wishlist

swap Stone Sour with limp bizkit. Architects and Parkway drive will probs be 3rd down. Neck Deep clash with green day would be horrible, personally i think foos are more likely than green day but either would be good. Think Brand New would be a bit higher up. The hives wouldn't be booked surely?

main stage lineup is awesome though!