Download 2018

Hart Attack

49 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I'd put them as unlikely, but possible future headliners, along with the likes of FFDP, Deftones etc. Wouldn't surprise me if in 10 years time we have Stone Sour and Slipknot alternating a headline slot in consecutive years

There's no unlikely at all with FFDP. If Ivan comes back then they will 100% headline in future. They are the next logical bump. They comfortably pulled the biggest Main stge crowd of the whole weekend this year (SOAD aside). Download's punters LOVE them. They supposedly sold the most merch by some way, too. 

I think all of FFDP, ADTR (these two especially) Deftones and KoRn will all headline Download at some point. I'd be tempted to throw in Enter Shikari and Parkway Drive too. 

14 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

There's no unlikely at all with FFDP. If Ivan comes back then they will 100% headline in future. They are the next logical bump. They comfortably pulled the biggest Main stge crowd of the whole weekend this year (SOAD aside). Download's punters LOVE them. They supposedly sold the most merch by some way, too. 

I think all of FFDP, ADTR (these two especially) Deftones and KoRn will all headline Download at some point. I'd be tempted to throw in Enter Shikari and Parkway Drive too. 

I'm not so sure on FFDP. How well do their tours do? Korn hopefully as long as their future albums are quality like Serenity of Suffering, Shikari I highly doubt. Maybe Parkway. 

ADTR I agree with, and I'll throw Alter Bridge in. Royal Blood I can see after album 3 

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

I'm not so sure on FFDP. How well do their tours do? Korn hopefully as long as their future albums are quality like Serenity of Suffering, Shikari I highly doubt. Maybe Parkway. 

ADTR I agree with, and I'll throw Alter Bridge in. Royal Blood I can see after album 3 

FFDP are an arena band. They'll definitely do it, I'm certain of it. Alter Bridge will never happen now, I don't think. It's seemingly been their time too many times now. It's much of the same reason I can't see Black Stone Cherry headlining when they used to be touted so much. 

Edited by Andre91

54 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

FFDP are an arena band. They'll definitely do it, I'm certain of it. Alter Bridge will never happen now, I don't think. It's seemingly been their time too many times now. It's much of the same reason I can't see Black Stone Cherry headlining when they used to be touted so much. 

Each one of Alter Bridges albums have done better than the last. Say next album gets to number 3 again, and another decent arena tour, dont see why not. 

Halestorm and Creeper will headline aswell

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

Each one of Alter Bridges albums have done better than the last. Say next album gets to number 3 again, and another decent arena tour, dont see why not. 

Halestorm and Creeper will headline aswell

Halestorm? Nah. No way. 

Creeper I don't think so either. I love them massively but I can't see them getting as big as I initially thought they would. I thought they'd reach MCR size but I just can't see it now. I'm not sure why. They'll climb the lineups, but I don't think they'll ever reach headliner status. 

Machine Head should be headliners now. There was genuine buzz about it happening around the time of The Blackening. They really should be headliners by now. 

Edited by Andre91

6 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Machine Head should be headliners now. There was genuine buzz about it happening around the time of The Blackening. They really should be headliners by now. 

Machine Head's last three albums have been some of the best mainstream metal albums in recent years, so aye they definitely deserve it. Unfortunately they just never took off as much, largely due to them fucking it so hard in the 90's and delaying their rise by a decade. Curse you nu-metal!

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Machine Head's last three albums have been some of the best mainstream metal albums in recent years, so aye they definitely deserve it. Unfortunately they just never took off as much, largely due to them fucking it so hard in the 90's and delaying their rise by a decade. Curse you nu-metal!

Sucks doesn't it. The Blackening, for me, is the best metal album of the 21st Century. It's a masterpiece. After dropping the ball on Supercharger, they had genuine buzz after coming back with Through The Ashes of Empires and The Blackening. Massive hype. Unto The Locust was a decent album, too. But for some reason it didn't carry on that hype. The same for Bloodstone and Diamonds, which is a RAGER of an album. 

I'd love to see them come back with another masterpiece and actually get the recognition they deserve and a chance to headline. 

Edited by Andre91

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Sucks doesn't it. The Blackening, for me, is the best metal album of the 21st Century. It's a masterpiece. After dropping the ball on Supercharger, they had genuine buzz after coming back with Through The Ashes of Empires and The Blackening. Massive hype. Unto The Locust was a decent album, too. But for some reason it didn't carry on that hype. The same for Bloodstone and Diamonds, which is a RAGER of an album. 

I'd love to see them come back with another masterpiece and actually get the recognition they deserve and a chance to headline. 

Thought Bloodstones & Diamonds was their best one yet myself. IMO the likes of them, KoRn and Deftones won't ever headline, unless one of them releases an album that REALLY changes the game/catches peoples attention. Think they've all missed their chance at that, but just happy to see em get the recognition they deserve (well, Machine Head and Deftones... KoRn aren't quite on the same level album-wise - they just happen to be ace live).

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Thought Bloodstones & Diamonds was their best one yet myself. IMO the likes of them, KoRn and Deftones won't ever headline, unless one of them releases an album that REALLY changes the game/catches peoples attention. Think they've all missed their chance at that, but just happy to see em get the recognition they deserve (well, Machine Head and Deftones... KoRn aren't quite on the same level album-wise - they just happen to be ace live).

I saw them on the Bloodstone tour and it was incredible. Over two and a half hours. 

I've said it before, but bands like KoRn, Deftones, Limp Bizkit and Marilyn Manson really suffered that there wasn't a Download Festival (or any heavy festival) in the late 90s / early 00s. All of them would have undoubtedly headlined at that time if the platform was there and that would have been four more headliners to add to the DL pool. 

Edited by Andre91

The last few years have seen those kinds of acts already starting that process by moving up lineups and playing to bigger venues than ever despite not even coming close to the mainstream again as they had all those years ago.

In a not so distant future where Metallica, Maiden, Aerosmith, SOAD and whoever else drop off the map, they won't hesitate to throw a headline slot to one of those old reliables over dragging new acts up from academies.

Also sticking to my prediction that Airbourne and Rival Sons get huge when classic rock bands retire and fans have to look for soundalikes. :lol:

On 8/11/2017 at 2:25 AM, dentalplan said:

The last few years have seen those kinds of acts already starting that process by moving up lineups and playing to bigger venues than ever despite not even coming close to the mainstream again as they had all those years ago.

In a not so distant future where Metallica, Maiden, Aerosmith, SOAD and whoever else drop off the map, they won't hesitate to throw a headline slot to one of those old reliables over dragging new acts up from academies.

Also sticking to my prediction that Airbourne and Rival Sons get huge when classic rock bands retire and fans have to look for soundalikes. :lol:

Booking KoRn and Deftones as subs is one thing but to have them headline at this stage or later would be mad, even after all go-to heritage acts have quit/died/whatever. If they'd have made that push a while ago then maybe, but having acts who've been playing Download as subs/third down for years and years suddenly jump up to headliner wouldn't float imo. I couldn't say what the eventual solution to this problem would be, other than Download really needing to start giving newer bands like BMTH the chance before all they're left with is Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold. 

Shikari will sub if they play. Copping is very high on them and they always go down a treat. I think they're more of a DL band now than R&L now, though, seeing how they wouldn't have been there for 4 years next year after being the house band for most of a decade. 

Edited by Andre91

11 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Shikari will sub if they play. Copping is very high on them and they always go down a treat. I think they're more of a DL band now than R&L now, though, seeing how they wouldn't have been there for 4 years next year after being the house band for most of a decade. 

Think they kind of reached their peak at R/L. They were never gonna get higher than third/fourth down so I guess it made less sense to continuously book them when they weren't moving up the lineup anymore. Agreed that they'd sub Download these days, undoubtedly to a newer headliner rather than a heritage act.

I was placing my bets on DL2018 being headlined by BMTH, Avenged and Metallica but after someone posted a link in the DL FB group about Def Leppard doing shows for the 30th anniversary of 'Hysteria', they could well be the Sunday band 

Edited by danielle6661

On 12/08/2017 at 10:16 PM, danielle6661 said:

I was placing my bets on DL2018 being headlined by BMTH, Avenged and Metallica but after someone posted a link in the DL FB group about Def Leppard doing shows for the 30th anniversary of 'Hysteria', they could well be the Sunday band 

Yeah I was thinking that there wouldn't be much of a typical 'Sunday headliner' among those three, but I wasn't thinking of Def Leppard admittedly. They just seem like an amazing sub but a terrible headliner. :lol: 

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Brand New have a new album announced so it might make them more likely to be around next summer doing fests. God, I would to see them headline the second stage at Download. 

Guess it'd depend on the direction of their new album but I just don't see it myself - fall a bit too far in to the 'indie' collum for Download* imo. Would assume R/L would be their go-to festivals, especially after cancelling a few years ago.

*These days, anyway.

Edited by FloorFiller