Download 2018

Hart Attack

On 3/8/2018 at 4:54 AM, Hart Attack said:

Can't believe Nine Inch Nails, Alice In Chains, A Perfect Circle, Stone Sour and Placebo are all in the UK around the right time but doing their own shows instead of Download... anyone else feel like it's pretty pathetic that the festival has let all these bands slip through their fingers?

Of course. Such a shame. Any idea if NIN are going to announce another UK show?

On 3/8/2018 at 10:33 AM, BigG94 said:

Who’s to say any of them won’t be there? 

Me?
Do you really think that they'd accept a worst spot than bloody Thunder?

On 3/8/2018 at 1:24 PM, Andburn said:

I presume GNR consumed the bookings budget.

That might be it. Let's hope it'll be worth it.

On 3/8/2018 at 1:54 PM, Pop Punk Sucks said:

There's only so many slots these bands can play. You only have so many sub, 3rd down and 2nd stage headline slots available. 

Again, they won't go for a worst spot than Thunder got.

On 3/8/2018 at 4:55 PM, Pop Punk Sucks said:

They can't fantasy book it though. If you want all of NIN, A Perfect Circle, Limp Bizkit, Placebo, Stone Sour and Alice in Chains on the lineup, then at least 6 of Bullet For My Valentine, Black Stone Cherry, Marilyn Manson, Volbeat, Thunder, Shinedown, You Me At Six, Parkway Drive and Rise Against have to be dropped. 

Maybe you have the following: 

Avenged Sevenfold
A Perfect Circle 
Limp Bizkit 

Alice In Chains

Guns N Roses 
Black Stone Cherry
Volbeat 

Placebo

Ozzy Osbourne 
Nine Inch Nails 
Stone Sour 

Parkway Drive

Maybe to some on here that looks like a better lineup. I think you have to take into account whether or not Nine Inch Nails would accept a sub slot or not, hard to say. But either way, with that lineup you're still going to have people kicking off that all of Shinedown, Bullet For My Valentine, Marilyn Manson, Thunder. Deftones, Hollywood Vampires and Rise Against are around in Europe or playing their own shows but haven't turned up. 

Would many on here or FB/Twitter be moaning that You Me At Six arent on there? Probably not. But they obviously trying to appeal to younger people, maybe they see You Me At Six headlining that stage alongside the Avalanche bands as being an overall package and You Me At Six having headlined Slam Dunk etc being proof they're key to helping them appeal to that market. Maybe they did have a choice of YMA6 and Placebo and only YMA6 were interested, or maybe they had a choice of both and worked out that with the Avalanche stage being there too, the chances are that more YMA6 fans will buy weekend tickets than the average Placebo fan who isn't interested in much more on the lineup. 

I would take NIN, A Perfect Circle, Stone Sour and Alice in Chains over Bullet For My Valentine, Black Stone Cherry, Volbeat, Thunder, Shinedown, You Me At Six, Parkway Drive and Rise Against anyday. The lineup you suggested looks much better to me. But there's more to it. A few months earlier people assumed that DragonForce will play low on 3rd, but they will probably play 5th on main or something. Many bands people consider as "has beens" got main stage slots. This year's lineup's just extremely weak. Just compare it to other festivals in Europe - even the other two Downloads, it's bloody sad. I don't care what some might say about this, we got screwed. This year's fest needs another main stage to come close to it's competitors. You might say that GnR took all the budget but just look at other festivals. Graspop got an amazing lineup, including GnR and any other good band that's doing DL plus Maiden, JP and tons of other great bands, for about the same price as DL (not to mention it has 4 days instead of 3). How could that be explained? AC being cheap? I really don't know.

• Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, IamGroot said:

Of course. Such a shame. Any idea if NIN are going to announce another UK show?

Me?
Do you really think that they'd accept a worst spot than bloody Thunder?

That might be it. Let's hope it'll be worth it.

Again, they won't go for a worst spot than Thunder got.

I would take NIN, A Perfect Circle, Stone Sour and Alice in Chains over Bullet For My Valentine, Black Stone Cherry, Volbeat, Thunder, Shinedown, You Me At Six, Parkway Drive and Rise Against anyday. The lineup you suggested looks much better to me. But there's more to it. A few months earlier people assumed that DragonForce will play low on 3rd, but they will probably play 5th on main or something. Many bands people consider as "has beens" got main stage slots. This year's lineup's just extremely weak. Just compare it to other festivals in Europe - even the other two Downloads, it's bloody sad. I don't care what some might say about this, we got screwed. This year's fest needs another main stage to come close to it's competitors. You might say that GnR took all the budget but just look at other festivals. Graspop got an amazing lineup, including GnR and any other good band that's doing DL plus Maiden, JP and tons of other great bands, for about the same price as DL (not to mention it has 4 days instead of 3). How could that be explained? AC being cheap? I really don't know.

It's supposedly harder for UK festivals to compete with Europe given the value of the pound or something (I might be completely wrong there).

NIN don't do heavy festivals so we can cross them off already. I'd expect APC to be fucking difficult to work with and wouldn't be that bigger draw then some of the other bands higher up. Unfortunately, in this country Black Stone Cherry, Thunder, Shinedown etc can all play Wembley at least and would probably be miles cheaper than everyone you mentioned.

Mostly though, none of us have a fucking clue what happens behind the scenes and AC obviously knows better than us what attainable lineup would bring in the most profit and has booked one to do so. I don't think it's because Andy's dumb or out of touch or whatever.

as far as im seeing the other festivals download this year misses stone sour.limp bizkit judas priest, megadeth,alice in chainsa perfect circle,ghost,nightwish,arch enemy,hoolywood vampires,killswitch engage,iced earth just to name a few!! wtf is wrong this year? even download madrid is better this year and it has shiendown lower on the bill. why? can this be fixed with the next announcement? are we sure that shinedown and thunder are playing 3th down? cause i dont see any splits and anything official yet except the headliners!

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, antros23 said:

as far as im seeing the other festivals download this year misses stone sour.limp bizkit judas priest, megadeth,alice in chainsa perfect circle,ghost,nightwish,arch enemy,hoolywood vampires,killswitch engage,iced earth just to name a few!! wtf is wrong this year? even download madrid is better this year and it has shiendown lower on the bill. why? can this be fixed with the next announcement? are we sure that shinedown and thunder are playing 3th down? cause i dont see any splits and anything official yet except the headliners!

Shinedown are probably much bigger in this country than Spain, hence they play lower slots in Madrid. As @Pop Punk Sucks said, there's only so many slots you can fill and there's obviously an excess of bands touring this year, so some won't make it.

I think it's pretty certain that those bands are playing third, if they weren't I'd expect they wouldn't include their logo like the missing Avalanche headliner. Also, most other bands that are big enough for the slot have announced their own shows or are playing a different festival.

41 minutes ago, antros23 said:

And Iron Maiden, and Helloween...
This year's shit indeed. And no, I can't see it being fixed with another announcement, unless they actually add Main Stage subs and 3rd's, and get the likes of Thunder, Shinedown and BSC lower spots, Or add another Main Stage ;)
Right now, all we can do is learn for the future, and pick any other European festival next year. I'm just sick of it.

5 minutes ago, IamGroot said:

And Iron Maiden, and Helloween...
This year's shit indeed. And no, I can't see it being fixed with another announcement, unless they actually add Main Stage subs and 3rd's, and get the likes of Thunder, Shinedown and BSC lower spots, Or add another Main Stage ;)
Right now, all we can do is learn for the future, and pick any other European festival next year. I'm just sick of it.

Alright, who do you think is bigger than BSC and should sub ahead of them? If you booked the lineup this year what would it look like?

Edited by Steve1000

http://www.kerrang.com/the-news/bring-me-the-horizon-are-definitely-working-on-new-music/

Just been posted in the R/L section, but considering it looks like BMTH are gonna be pushing even further for mainstream appeal/a pop sound with their new album I'd say a Download headline slot is looking less likely, and I'd expect them to turn up at R/L instead.

6 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

http://www.kerrang.com/the-news/bring-me-the-horizon-are-definitely-working-on-new-music/

Just been posted in the R/L section, but considering it looks like BMTH are gonna be pushing even further for mainstream appeal/a pop sound with their new album I'd say a Download headline slot is looking less likely, and I'd expect them to turn up at R/L instead.

100%.....they'll also tell Download where to go if offered both if them getting downed once and then again to not play happens. 

On 3/10/2018 at 3:15 PM, Steve1000 said:

Alright, who do you think is bigger than BSC and should sub ahead of them? If you booked the lineup this year what would it look like?

Ozzy
Priest
Megadeth
Kreator
Accept
Exodus

Maiden
Ghost
APC
AIC
Meshuggah
At the Gates

GnR
Helloween
Gojira
Opeth
Lacuna Coil
Enslaved

For Example. They could get Scorpions to headline instead to be somewhat unique. They could get alt-rock/metalcore bands to play second stage or whatever. Or move one of the day lineups I suggested to the 2nd stage without the headliner, making it Alt/Core bands day on the main stage under bloody A7X, I don't even care.
They could also make it a 4 day fest with Pearl Jam headlining the 4th day, to be able to compete with other festivals across Europe, with many of those adding a day to make it 4 (DL Paris, Wacken, SRF, GMM, Firenze)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

18 minutes ago, IamGroot said:

Ozzy
Priest
Megadeth
Kreator
Accept
Exodus

Maiden
Ghost
APC
AIC
Meshuggah
At the Gates

GnR
Helloween
Gojira
Opeth
Lacuna Coil
Enslaved

For Example. They could get Scorpions to headline instead to be somewhat unique. They could get alt-rock/metalcore bands to play second stage or whatever. Or move one of the day lineups I suggested to the 2nd stage without the headliner, making it Alt/Core bands day on the main stage under bloody A7X, I don't even care.
They could also make it a 4 day fest with Pearl Jam headlining the 4th day, to be able to compete with other festivals across Europe, with many of those adding a day to make it 4 (DL Paris, Wacken, SRF, GMM, Firenze)

This is a truly terrible post.

1 hour ago, IamGroot said:

Ozzy
Priest
Megadeth
Kreator
Accept
Exodus

Maiden
Ghost
APC
AIC
Meshuggah
At the Gates

GnR
Helloween
Gojira
Opeth
Lacuna Coil
Enslaved

That lineup would sell awfully, there's nothing there that appeals to the younger majority who will be the ones going and camping for 5 days - 2 days of classic rock acts is pushing it for Download, let alone 3.

2 hours ago, IamGroot said:

Ozzy
Priest
Megadeth
Kreator
Accept
Exodus

Maiden
Ghost
APC
AIC
Meshuggah
At the Gates

GnR
Helloween
Gojira
Opeth
Lacuna Coil
Enslaved

Main thing I'm wondering is why you think metalcore needs to be separated from the rest of the lineup.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, IamGroot said:

Ozzy
Priest
Megadeth
Kreator
Accept
Exodus

Maiden
Ghost
APC
AIC
Meshuggah
At the Gates

GnR
Helloween
Gojira
Opeth
Lacuna Coil
Enslaved

Do you even festival bro?

thjis year line up is not that bad.is just in my opinion graspop and hellfest look way better this year!

if i could change something i would go with

avenged sevenfold

bullet for my valentine

volbeat  

guns n roses

limb bizkit

hollywood vampires

ozzy

marilyn manson

stone sour