Download 2018

Hart Attack

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

So after Rolo Tomassi brining out an AOTY contender last week, Conjurer (another Holy Roar band) we streaming their album on The Independent ahead of its release on Friday and it is absolutely bloody excellent too. What a great couple of weeks. 

Started to listen to Conjurer and they're great so I'll listen to their album later. Also I've only listen to new Rolo once, I've just been so busy and I was really tired and stressed when I heard it, so it certainly needs a relisten some point this week.

6 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Started to listen to Conjurer and they're great so I'll listen to their album later. Also I've only listen to new Rolo once, I've just been so busy and I was really tired and stressed when I heard it, so it certainly needs a relisten some point this week.

The album is great, can hear so much Gojira in there and I love Gorija so that’s  cool :P the Rolo album is phenomenal. I’ve got the same feeling as I had about Code Orange this time last year as in nothing will budge it from the top of my AOTY list now (even though The Menzingers is edged it last year by a hairs breath). 

21 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

The album is great, can hear so much Gojira in there and I love Gorija so that’s  cool :P the Rolo album is phenomenal. I’ve got the same feeling as I had about Code Orange this time last year as in nothing will budge it from the top of my AOTY list now (even though The Menzingers is edged it last year by a hairs breath). 

I listened to the first EP today, because even though they were announced for Trees a while back the announcement reminded me to give them a proper listen and I really enjoyed. Knew there was an album coming but didn't realise it was so soon. I really enjoyed Grievances and I did enjoy my first listen of the new one but it's going to need some time. I'd probably put it up there with Jeff Rosenstock, Turnstile & Car Seat Headrest as the best albums of the year so far. Also I enjoyed those Code Orange album and The Menzingers but I thought they were far from their best work. Seen that Code are playing in Nottingham with Employed To Serve in support, really want to go but I'm seeing The Wonder Years that night :P 

55 minutes ago, justanothername said:

I listened to the first EP today, because even though they were announced for Trees a while back the announcement reminded me to give them a proper listen and I really enjoyed. Knew there was an album coming but didn't realise it was so soon. I really enjoyed Grievances and I did enjoy my first listen of the new one but it's going to need some time. I'd probably put it up there with Jeff Rosenstock, Turnstile & Car Seat Headrest as the best albums of the year so far. Also I enjoyed those Code Orange album and The Menzingers but I thought they were far from their best work. Seen that Code are playing in Nottingham with Employed To Serve in support, really want to go but I'm seeing The Wonder Years that night :P 

It’s weird because I’ve never like Rolo at all before but this album is just incredible. Really? Thts surprises me. Forever is by far the best thing CO have done and it seems everyone seems to think the same . Groundbreaking album for sure. After The Party has just edged OTIP for me after hammering it so much last year. I’m going to that Code Orange / ETS date, it should be great! 

After conceding that going to see The Smashing Pumpkins the day before I come back to the UK would be a bit of a risk as I’d have to fly back to NY the same day I come home, Slayer have today announced the second leg of their final US Tour and they’re playing in NY whilst I am there the day after the Warped Tour date I’m going to in the same town :P with Lamb of God, Anthrax, Testament and Napalm Death supporting. That’ll be a lovely couple of days. 

22 hours ago, Andre91 said:

It’s weird because I’ve never like Rolo at all before but this album is just incredible. Really? Thts surprises me. Forever is by far the best thing CO have done and it seems everyone seems to think the same . Groundbreaking album for sure. After The Party has just edged OTIP for me after hammering it so much last year. I’m going to that Code Orange / ETS date, it should be great! 

Go back and give their earlier work a re-listen, especially Grievances and I wouldn't say that everyone thinks that Forever is their best work. It's their lowest rated album on rateyourmusic but a few points and I do prefer the debut. Way more raw and visceral in my opinion but I'm glad that allowed them to really breakout though I wouldn't say it's that groundbreaking, well artistically speaking as in the mainstream metal community it made quite the imoact. The way I describe ATP, is "it's not as good as OTIP but it has more bangers if that makes more sense." There is something about OTIP that makes it better overall for me, though ATP is probably better in a live setting,

5 hours ago, Hart Attack said:

Can't believe Nine Inch Nails, Alice In Chains, A Perfect Circle, Stone Sour and Placebo are all in the UK around the right time but doing their own shows instead of Download... anyone else feel like it's pretty pathetic that the festival has let all these bands slip through their fingers?

Who’s to say any of them won’t be there? 

8 hours ago, Hart Attack said:

Can't believe Nine Inch Nails, Alice In Chains, A Perfect Circle, Stone Sour and Placebo are all in the UK around the right time but doing their own shows instead of Download... anyone else feel like it's pretty pathetic that the festival has let all these bands slip through their fingers?

I presume GNR consumed the bookings budget.

8 hours ago, Hart Attack said:

There's only so many slots these bands can play. You only have so many sub, 3rd down and 2nd stage headline slots available. 

29 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

There's only so many slots these bands can play. You only have so many sub, 3rd down and 2nd stage headline slots available. 

...and Shinedown, Thunder and You Me At Six are clearly priorities?

It just seems like there's never going to be a better opportunity to book bands like NIN, Pearl Jam, Placebo and APC than this, but they're not scoring now with an open goal and I can't help but wonder... if not now, when? It would be sad if we eventually get to the day when these bands retire, or the festival ceases to run, and you look back over their legacies and realise these big, iconic, important bands never came to Download despite existing together simultaneously.

Obviously that doesn't apply to bands like Stone Sour, Limp Bizkit and Alice In Chains that have been at Download before - but even they seem like no-brainer choices given their status in the rock scene and the fact that they haven't played in half a decade now.

It's probably not that Download hasn't tried to get those bands, the fact that they'd rather do their own shows instead of playing Download tells you a lot about how bands view Download. Andy Copping mentioned in an interview in December that a massive amount of the bands he tries to get either just don't wanna play that year or can't for various reasons. It's not that bands like YM@6 and Thunder are the priorities, it's more like that's all that was 'left' for Download which is a pretty backwards way of it going. 

54 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

...and Shinedown, Thunder and You Me At Six are clearly priorities?

It just seems like there's never going to be a better opportunity to book bands like NIN, Pearl Jam, Placebo and APC than this, but they're not scoring now with an open goal and I can't help but wonder... if not now, when? It would be sad if we eventually get to the day when these bands retire, or the festival ceases to run, and you look back over their legacies and realise these big, iconic, important bands never came to Download despite existing together simultaneously.

Obviously that doesn't apply to bands like Stone Sour, Limp Bizkit and Alice In Chains that have been at Download before - but even they seem like no-brainer choices given their status in the rock scene and the fact that they haven't played in half a decade now.

totally agree! although thunder and you me at six are both good bands i was totally mad when i found that neither limp bizkit,stone sour,alice in chains,a prfect circle were not playing although the full line up is not announce yet and we might have a small chanve of some of them to show up!

38 minutes ago, Reece1617 said:

It's probably not that Download hasn't tried to get those bands, the fact that they'd rather do their own shows instead of playing Download tells you a lot about how bands view Download. Andy Copping mentioned in an interview in December that a massive amount of the bands he tries to get either just don't wanna play that year or can't for various reasons. It's not that bands like YM@6 and Thunder are the priorities, it's more like that's all that was 'left' for Download which is a pretty backwards way of it going. 

I agree that this seems the more likely scenario, but I think it's equally concerning. Download is supposed to be this globally-renowned bastion of rock, metal and alternative music, people always talk up the 'hallowed grounds of Donington' and all that, but I think you have to start asking questions when bands' attitudes towards it seem to be 'Download? Nah mate, you're alright - think we'll just do our own shows instead'. They don't seem to be turning their noses up at Hellfest and Rock Am Ring, and I would think even places like Glastonbury and Reading could probably book them if they wanted to, but while Download always used to feel like the biggest thing in our world it now seems to be developing a bit of a reputation as the red-headed stepchild of the European festival circuit.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it seems to all paint a slightly worrying picture of either the ambition/vision, the prestige or possibly the financial situation of the festival, and results in an event that feels less big, special and exciting that it always used to.

They can't fantasy book it though. If you want all of NIN, A Perfect Circle, Limp Bizkit, Placebo, Stone Sour and Alice in Chains on the lineup, then at least 6 of Bullet For My Valentine, Black Stone Cherry, Marilyn Manson, Volbeat, Thunder, Shinedown, You Me At Six, Parkway Drive and Rise Against have to be dropped. 

Maybe you have the following: 

Avenged Sevenfold
A Perfect Circle 
Limp Bizkit 

Alice In Chains

Guns N Roses 
Black Stone Cherry
Volbeat 

Placebo

Ozzy Osbourne 
Nine Inch Nails 
Stone Sour 

Parkway Drive

Maybe to some on here that looks like a better lineup. I think you have to take into account whether or not Nine Inch Nails would accept a sub slot or not, hard to say. But either way, with that lineup you're still going to have people kicking off that all of Shinedown, Bullet For My Valentine, Marilyn Manson, Thunder. Deftones, Hollywood Vampires and Rise Against are around in Europe or playing their own shows but haven't turned up. 

Would many on here or FB/Twitter be moaning that You Me At Six arent on there? Probably not. But they obviously trying to appeal to younger people, maybe they see You Me At Six headlining that stage alongside the Avalanche bands as being an overall package and You Me At Six having headlined Slam Dunk etc being proof they're key to helping them appeal to that market. Maybe they did have a choice of YMA6 and Placebo and only YMA6 were interested, or maybe they had a choice of both and worked out that with the Avalanche stage being there too, the chances are that more YMA6 fans will buy weekend tickets than the average Placebo fan who isn't interested in much more on the lineup. 

50 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

I agree that this seems the more likely scenario, but I think it's equally concerning. Download is supposed to be this globally-renowned bastion of rock, metal and alternative music, people always talk up the 'hallowed grounds of Donington' and all that, but I think you have to start asking questions when bands' attitudes towards it seem to be 'Download? Nah mate, you're alright - think we'll just do our own shows instead'. They don't seem to be turning their noses up at Hellfest and Rock Am Ring, and I would think even places like Glastonbury and Reading could probably book them if they wanted to, but while Download always used to feel like the biggest thing in our world it now seems to be developing a bit of a reputation as the red-headed stepchild of the European festival circuit.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it seems to all paint a slightly worrying picture of either the ambition/vision, the prestige or possibly the financial situation of the festival, and results in an event that feels less big, special and exciting that it always used to.

I think other than Glastonbury and the smaller festivals (but how long the smaller festivals continue to do well I question, with Kendal's weaker than normal line up being a prime example) that all the festivals are really struggling to pull together decent line ups on par with previous years. I do think though that the undercard has suffered a bit because of GnR though, and I can't exactly imagine Ozzy was particularily cheap.

1 hour ago, Hart Attack said:

I think overthinking it is good but I agree with @Pop Punk Sucks in that the lineup has to include something to make the 'avalanche' audience happier. it's a compromise but I can't be the only one who thinks the lineup is actually pretty decent this year? I'd hardly say it's less special or exciting...IMO anyway. 

45 minutes ago, Reece1617 said:

I think overthinking it is good but I agree with @Pop Punk Sucks in that the lineup has to include something to make the 'avalanche' audience happier. it's a compromise but I can't be the only one who thinks the lineup is actually pretty decent this year? I'd hardly say it's less special or exciting...IMO anyway. 

Yeah I think the line up is good this year tbh, the only thing being is I think Bullet headlining 2nd against Ozzy, Rise Against 4th down and add a proper sub (Stone Sour being the biggest omision) to the line up and I thinkg it would be legitimately really strong.