Download 2018

Hart Attack

Thunder don't excite me at all. I've seen them twice in recent years and they are not my thing BUT............they will justify that position and surprise a lot of people. They're great performers, the grandad doing dad dancing aside :) Volbeat are finally getting a decent slot although I'm waiting for the kick in the baws again for them to be announced. Alice ib Chains and Ghost would have been nice but there's already looking like a few clashes, particularly Sunday, so they would no doubt have caused issues for me. Overall I'm already happy with it and I daresay after my spotify has been updated and I give a load more a listen I'll be very happy.

9It's what you expect from blowing the budget on GNR. Shane Volbeat are on Friday but that's a terrible top 3....B4MV aren't a sub anymore. Fairplay for putting an arena band before GNR....a bad selling arena band albeit but none the less, could have easily just been an academy act. Thunder and Shinedown 3rd down is terrible. Hope for Boston Manor and LTJ on Saturday, probably clash. It won't we out this line-up though 

4 minutes ago, Reece1617 said:

Who do people think the other Avalanche Stage Headliner will be? and are we assuming Neck Deep are Saturday and The Hives are Sunday?

I think While She Sleeps, considering they have an upcoming tour and are an obvious booking. 

Then again, the choice of headliners that night would be Avenged Sevenfold, You Me @ Six, While She Sleeps and Tesseract. Nothing for the purists.

1 hour ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

The year is 2018. Thunder are playing third on the main stage at Download Festival. All sense of logic and reason appears to be on the cusp of obliteration.

I’d say BFMV still getting a sub slot is the most baffling decision.

they couldn’t even sell out an academy tour supported by KSE

• Upvote 1

I can’t get over that main stage lineup. 

In This Moment, Inglorious, Shinedown, Monster Truck, The Struts, The Temperance Movement, Whiskey Myers. That’s really not exciting. So much ploddy, bland stuff there. 

Friday usually has 7 bands, plus 8/9 each on Saturday and a Sunday (I’m assuming only 8 on GNR day to accommodate their set length). That totals 23-25 bands tops. We’ve got 22 there. There’s really not much more left for that stage and look at what we have. 

I’m barely going to spend any time at the Main Stage. Then again, I guess I’m precisely the kind of client they’re targeting with the Avalanche and the Fourth Stage as I’m over the moon with those. Second stage is looking great too. 

Asking Alexandria got fucked by their techs for the first few songs tonight. Lead was running around like a dickhead trying to sort it. Kept coming in and out of songs at the wrong time. Awful.

Once they sorted it though about 3-4 songs in they were pretty great from then on. Not much on this kind of music anymore though so i'm hardly an expert. Light show was good. BVB up next. 

36 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I think While She Sleeps, considering they have an upcoming tour and are an obvious booking. 

Then again, the choice of headliners that night would be Avenged Sevenfold, You Me @ Six, While She Sleeps and Tesseract. Nothing for the purists.

I think Sleeps are a good shout, otherwise I reckon it could be Converge

8 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

No reason they'd hold them back though, is there?

They're touring over here in April. I guess you could argue that's a bit too close to download but they're at the French one so I guess it's not out of the question. Though they're doing a festival in Norway in August so they maybe could be at R&L on the Pit (though I'd prefer to stick them on the mid main/nme on the Kendrick day just for me :lol:

EDIT: Just seen that they're doing DL FR on the Friday so it's not them. I guess they could play somewhere else on the Sat or Sun. Would prefer to have a headline slot but I'm going to see them in April so it's not big of a deal

Edited by justanothername

3 minutes ago, justanothername said:

They're touring over here in April. I guess you could argue that's a bit too close to download but they're at the French one so I guess it's not out of the question. Though they're doing a festival in Norway in August so they maybe could be at R&L on the Pit (though I'd prefer to stick them on the mid main/nme on the Kendrick day just for me :lol:

EDIT: Just seen that they're doing DL FR on the Friday so it's not them. I guess they could play somewhere else on the Sat or Sun. Would prefer to have a headline slot but I'm going to see them in April so it's not big of a deal

Download France isn't the same weekend as UK. 

22 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I can’t get over that main stage lineup. 

In This Moment, Inglorious, Shinedown, Monster Truck, The Struts, The Temperance Movement, Whiskey Myers. That’s really not exciting. So much ploddy, bland stuff there. 

Friday usually has 7 bands, plus 8/9 each on Saturday and a Sunday (I’m assuming only 8 on GNR day to accommodate their set length). That totals 23-25 bands tops. We’ve got 22 there. There’s really not much more left for that stage and look at what we have. 

I’m barely going to spend any time at the Main Stage. Then again, I guess I’m precisely the kind of client they’re targeting with the Avalanche and the Fourth Stage as I’m over the moon with those. Second stage is looking great too. 

Where is £220 though?, I still think the parking fee is crazy too although even for what you get Glastonburys parking charge is ridiculous now....£45 is mental.

Except for GNR which sums it up really, Slam Dunk imo at £50 for the day is better. I have 8 bands on the line-up with I'd both with, for me 2nd bar Rise Against I probably wouldn't visit, the Dogtooth stage I can't comment on as, as much as I'm not interested I don't know barely any of them. MM intrigues me but you know he'll be shit.

I’ve had a go at putting the main stage lineup together out of what we have. It looks really weak, especially the GNR day, which I think will only see 7 bands play to accommodate their 3+ hour set that Andy said they’re getting. Then again, that day will sell out on GNR alone so I don’t think they’re bothered about it being weak. 

Avenged Sevenfold / Bullet For My Valentine / Volbeat / Black Veil Brides / Dragonforce / Marmozets / Boston Manor 

Guns ‘N Roses / Black Stone Cherry / Thunder / The Temperance Movement / In This Moment / The Struts / The Pink Slips 

Ozzy Osbourne / Marilyn Manson / Shinedown / Cradle of Filth / Hatebreed / Monster Truck / Inglorious / Whiskey Myers

Edited by Andre91

29 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’ve had a go at putting the main stage lineup together out of what we have. It looks really weak, especially the GNR day, which I think will only see 7 bands play to accommodate their 3+ hour set that Andy said they’re getting. Then again, that day will sell out on GNR alone so I don’t think they’re bothered about it being weak. 

Avenged Sevenfold / Bullet For My Valentine / Volbeat / Black Veil Brides / Dragonforce / Marmozets / Boston Manor 

Guns ‘N Roses / Black Stone Cherry / Thunder / The Temperance Movement / In This Moment / The Struts / The Pink Slips 

Ozzy Osbourne / Marilyn Manson / Shinedown / Cradle of Filth / Hatebreed / Monster Truck / Inglorious / Whiskey Myers

Funnily enough, if WSTR and LTJ were on Friday with no clash, it would be worth going for these two plus Marmozets, Bonston Manor and Volbeat. I don't think BM and Marmozets are playing as low as you think though.

The strange thing is, the main stage is like a majorly over promoted 2nd stage whereas the 2nd stage looks like what should be on main.

19 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Funnily enough, if WSTR and LTJ were on Friday with no clash, it would be worth going for these two plus Marmozets, Bonston Manor and Volbeat. I don't think BM and Marmozets are playing as low as you think though.

The strange thing is, the main stage is like a majorly over promoted 2nd stage whereas the 2nd stage looks like what should be on main.

I don’t think Boston Manor should be any higher than opening main tbh and Marmozets should play higher but I don’t think they will. Some has been shite like Dragonforce will be higher up than Marmozets will in 2018 and that’s insane. 

All three of the other stages are looking great with lots of exciting younger bands playing. Greta Van Fleet who are doing the classic rock thing WAY better than any of those middle of the road bands on the main stage (Whiskey Myers. Inglorious, The Struts, Monster Truck) are playing second stage. Their singer is 21 years old and sounds like Robert Plant more than Robert Plant does these days. They should be playing the Main Stage for sure. Bury Tomorrow who are one of the best live bands the UK has should be playing Main stage after playing the Zippo last time out. Milk Teeth should be opening main stage. Even Neck Deep, the biggest name in UK Pop Punk, at this time or any other time, should be getting a crack at the Main Stage. Baroness are exactly the kind of band who should be getting exposed to as many people as they can on the Main Stage instead of being stuck headlining fourth stage (especially after having to play second against Death Punch last year), not has-beens like Cradle of Filth playing the Main Stage in 2018. 

I understand there needs to be a mix of bands playing, that’s why you have returning favourites like Hatebreed playing, and Black Stone Cherry and Volbeat.

The lineup for the stage just seems like a massive step back this year. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1