Download 2018

Hart Attack

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’m thinking Volbeat will be the sub for GNR. They’ve been announced as it almost everywhere else GNR are playing so it would make sense. Expose them to a massive crowd so hopefully they get bigger over here. 

Are Volbeat really big enough to sub here though? Would have thought third from top would be the absolute maximum with someone like BSC above them. 

Edit: My mate got me to watch some vids of them live a while back and they look great so would be fun if they do play though.

Edited by SOAD

Agreed. It doesn’t really matter that Volbeat would probably be playing a slot too high by subbing, GNR will have the biggest crowd of the weekend and I can guarantee it will be made up up tens of thousands of people camped at the Main Stage all day to guarantee their spot for GNR. So the crowd will be there regardless of who is subbing so it won’t matter that Volbeat aren’t quite big enough. Playing in front of that many people will do them (or any band) wonders. 

• Upvote 1

Keep in mind BSC have both "Kentucky" & "Back to Blues" on their shoulders when they sub. Volbeat only have "Seal the Deal" to depend upon for recent album success. Also note BSC have had been put on higher places on the lineups (for the most part) than Volbeat.

But Volbeat are subbing for GNR in France.

8 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I’m thinking Volbeat will be the sub for GNR. They’ve been announced as it almost everywhere else GNR are playing so it would make sense. Expose them to a massive crowd so hopefully they get bigger over here. 

To be honest, that would be the best decision for me. I'd really rather not pay for a day and get a shit sub. Give us RA 3rd down like AFI last year. 

10 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

To be honest, that would be the best decision for me. I'd really rather not pay for a day and get a shit sub. Give us RA 3rd down like AFI last year. 

Volbeat a shit sub :huh: and RA wouldn’t play third down. They aren’t a rarity like AFI. Second stage headliner for them I think.

25 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Volbeat a shit sub :huh: and RA wouldn’t play third down. They aren’t a rarity like AFI. Second stage headliner for them I think.

I think he's calling them a good sub tbf and saying he wouldn't get a day ticket if there was a shit one. Rise Against would most likely clash with whoever the sub is though.

Are we assuming that no one will clash with GNR? I can't imagine it being great for any band who is booked to clash with them. I went to see WSS at Leeds whilst Eminem was on main and it was quite sad knowing that, if the headliner wasn't so big, they'd get a decent turnout. 

5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Agreed. It doesn’t really matter that Volbeat would probably be playing a slot too high by subbing, GNR will have the biggest crowd of the weekend and I can guarantee it will be made up up tens of thousands of people camped at the Main Stage all day to guarantee their spot for GNR. So the crowd will be there regardless of who is subbing so it won’t matter that Volbeat aren’t quite big enough. Playing in front of that many people will do them (or any band) wonders. 

Sometimes, as long as they’re ready to be won over. I remember hearing Queens didn’t do too well in front of the Maiden masses. It’s possible that Volbeat would be better fun for neutrals tho.

20 minutes ago, Reece1617 said:

Are we assuming that no one will clash with GNR? I can't imagine it being great for any band who is booked to clash with them. I went to see WSS at Leeds whilst Eminem was on main and it was quite sad knowing that, if the headliner wasn't so big, they'd get a decent turnout. 

AIC are my prediction, they're at a slow point

Volbeat are massive in Europe (appreciate many know that) headlining some places, but in the UK I’ve seen them as support for Black Stone Cherry and even below that for Alter Bridge pretty recently. So I’d put them at maybe 3rd from top which I think is good progress for them. Did they play 5th last time at DL?

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

MCR were the single most important band of a generation. 21P are dangerous because they're diluting things. 

I expect some people might have had exactly this convo 10 or so years ago replacing 21P with MCR and MCR with linkin park.

To be clear I like all 3 and am not dissing any.

55 minutes ago, DHG123 said:

I expect some people might have had exactly this convo 10 or so years ago replacing 21P with MCR and MCR with linkin park.

To be clear I like all 3 and am not dissing any.

LP absolutely. I’ve said previously that they are directly to blame for bands like 21P being pushed by rock media. Things thankfully seem to be looking a lot better. Code Orange are nominated for a Grammy, Employed To Serve got Kerrang’s album of the year, While She Sleeps got to #8 in the charts with an album that they put out completely by themselves and funded by the fans. 

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Tbh I say good decision because I like them, I don't think they should be a sub but money wise I can see something like that having to happen. Rarity or not AFI aren't big and 2nd stage headline is 3rd/4th down anyway. I just agree with the placings mind but if you are topping 2nd I'd hsve thought you 'could go 3rd down....especially this year.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

LP absolutely. I’ve said previously that they are directly to blame for bands like 21P being pushed by rock media. Things thankfully seem to be looking a lot better. Code Orange are nominated for a Grammy, Employed To Serve got Kerrang’s album of the year, While She Sleeps got to #8 in the charts with an album that they put out completely by themselves and funded by the fans. 

I think rock is diverse enough to cover it though. If ska is included I don’t see why rnb at times poppy rock can’t be. Re download etc it keeps things fresh you clash them with a band that’s heavier eg Manson/ Judas Priest/ Slayer to headline 2nd.

Basically I totally take your concern re dilution but think things like that are necessary or you end up with the same headliners every couple of years and a fairly same old feel every year.

It also attracts people who then go a different heavier direction as they get older and are exposed to diff bands.

I’m not a fan particularly but there’s no BMTH without LP.

I’ll have to check out While She Sleeps that’s really impressive.

14 minutes ago, DHG123 said:

I think rock is diverse enough to cover it though. If ska is included I don’t see why rnb at times poppy rock can’t be. Re download etc it keeps things fresh you clash them with a band that’s heavier eg Manson/ Judas Priest/ Slayer to headline 2nd.

Basically I totally take your concern re dilution but think things like that are necessary or you end up with the same headliners every couple of years and a fairly same old feel every year.

It also attracts people who then go a different heavier direction as they get older and are exposed to diff bands.

I’m not a fan particularly but there’s no BMTH without LP.

I’ll have to check out While She Sleeps that’s really impressive.

21P are too far removed. They’re an oh and our pop band who have no business being covered by rock/metal press at the expense of bands who are actually part of that. The kind of Ska Download gets is Ska Punk so that is still in that world. 

While She Sleeps’ album was one of the best metal albums of last year, banging front start to finish. You should definitely check it out :) 

• Like 1