Download 2018

Hart Attack

You yourself even said 30STM could possibly headline Download and your reasoning was that they can sub Reading and that Downloads a smaller festival. Why doesn't that apply to Manson?

They played 5th Reading before Chocolate Starfish. Also Eminem played 4th Reading one year than headlined the next so jumps like that clearly happened.

I'd also add NIN to this list, and a few years before nu-metal, Soundgarden.

Edited by Steve1000

Just now, DomDom1984 said:

Nine Inch Nails weren't THAT far off of a headline level not so long ago, so at their peak they'd easily have been a headliner for DL.

They aren't THAT far off now. Same for Soundgarden (well until several months ago). I think if those had headlined they'd retain their status at the top, but I don't think Manson, Bizkit, Korn etc would have.

16 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

You yourself even said 30STM could possibly headline Download and your reasoning was that they can sub Reading and that Downloads a smaller festival. Why doesn't that apply to Manson?

They played 5th Reading before Chocolate Starfish. Also Eminem played 4th Reading one year than headlined the next so jumps like that clearly happened.

I'd also add NIN to this list, and a few years before nu-metal, Soundgarden.

Have you seen the tours 30 STM see compared?, they can sell arena tours....proper arena tours, Limp Bizkit Chocolate Starfish toured the album in 2001 doing Manchester Arena, Glasgow and two Wembley Area dates and that's it....after that they were back down to Academy venues. Look up 30 STM tour around 2010 and then their last one....both are bigger...2010 was huge. 

As for Korn, they did 4 arenas in 2002 including a Glasgow one and one arena in 2000 with an academy date.....There is nothing shouting headline band.

Take the 2nd Download in 2004, Metallica needs no mention, already done arena tour by then etc etc, L.P however had done London Arena 3 years previous, headlined Reading the year before with a 5 date arena tour coming a couple of months after....and that's the difference.

16 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Have you seen the tours 30 STM see compared?, they can sell arena tours....proper arena tours, Limp Bizkit Chocolate Starfish toured the album in 2001 doing Manchester Arena, Glasgow and two Wembley Area dates and that's it....after that they were back down to Academy venues. Look up 30 STM tour around 2010 and then their last one....both are bigger...2010 was huge. 

As for Korn, they did 4 arenas in 2002 including a Glasgow one and one arena in 2000 with an academy date.....There is nothing shouting headline band.

Take the 2nd Download in 2004, Metallica needs no mention, already done arena tour by then etc etc, L.P however had done London Arena 3 years previous, headlined Reading the year before with a 5 date arena tour coming a couple of months after....and that's the difference.

Avenged headlined in 2014 after a 3 date arena tour and you used to have stuff like FNM and Lostprophets headline. I don't know how big their tours were but they headlined the NME stage the same year or year after. 

3 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Avenged headlined in 2014 after a 3 date arena tour and you used to have stuff like FNM and Lostprophets headline. I don't know how big their tours were but they headlined the NME stage the same year or year after. 

FNM was a big comeback and Lostprophets were bumped due to a pull out. Yeah what the fuck was that all about.....tbf the crowd said everything about it mind you.

15 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

FNM was a big comeback and Lostprophets were bumped due to a pull out. Yeah what the fuck was that all about.....tbf the crowd said everything about it mind you.

Still they headlined the NME in the same year which is lower than what Manson did when they apparently couldn't headline. Lostprophets supposedly weren't due to a pull out, but Kiss, Offspring and Feeder were. Apparently the plan was to have Rage / Foos / Lostprophets that year. Could be wrong though.

54 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Limp Bizkit Chocolate Starfish toured the album in 2001 doing Manchester Arena, Glasgow and two Wembley Area dates and that's it....after that they were back down to Academy venues.

s-l1600.jpg

Someone who isn't blocked by Gazza quote this please so he gives this "5th down at Reading" thing up.

Edited by dentalplan

29 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

@thewayiam There you go.

Also, that's actually a pretty great lineup :lol: Although I fear Outkast would've gone down like a lead balloon.

That was back when rock and rap seemed really closely linked and there were a bunch of tours featuring big rock/nu metal bands and rappers in equal supply - I don't know whether the nu metal bands were piggybacking off the rap scene or vice versa. :lol: But I think Outkast woulda been pretty popular at that point with Ms. Jackson a fairly recent hit and a brilliant album to boot.

edit: That might be relevant to the discussion about the 'lost years' between MoR and Download. Maybe Eminem coulda headlined somewhere along the line and the likes of Cypress HIll and Outkast and Wu Tang would be in big positions.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

Still they headlined the NME in the same year which is lower than what Manson did when they apparently couldn't headline. Lostprophets supposedly weren't due to a pull out, but Kiss, Offspring and Feeder were. Apparently the plan was to have Rage / Foos / Lostprophets that year. Could be wrong though.

You are wrong- the original trio in 08 was supposed to be Rammstein, Foo Fighters & RATM with Judas Priest, Offspring & Lostprophets subbing.

RATM chose the big two show pay out from Reading, Foos decided to do their own shows & Rammstein delayed their entire tour. Hence Offspring & Lostprophets got bumped up & Copping had to go back & ask Kiss after initially turning them away. Funny how it went from potentially one of their strongest ever line ups to probably the weakest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigG94 said:

Are we expecting any pleasant surprises or do you think the top 2 stages are now more or less complete and just have fillers to confirm? I’d like at least another big name announced

I think we're still waiting to hear the sub for Guns n' Roses - as we have bullet subbing Avenged and Marilyn subbing Ozzy. We're also under the assumption that both Parkway and Rise Against are the 2nd stage headliners and we still don't know who the 3rd is.  

2 minutes ago, Reece1617 said:

I think we're still waiting to hear the sub for Guns n' Roses - as we have bullet subbing Avenged and Marilyn subbing Ozzy. We're also under the assumption that both Parkway and Rise Against are the 2nd stage headliners and we still don't know who the 3rd is.  

Thats good news forgot about whos subbing GnRs. Hopefully more announcements this week 

I think it may well be BSC although Volbeat have just been announced for DL Madrid too so are definitely making the rounds as we know.

It won't be StoneSour, their London gig was confirmed by them as their only UK gig of 2018 unless Corey changes his mind as we all know his feelings on DL.