Download 2018

Hart Attack

Saw 5FDP for the 1st time at DL2010 and have seen them 8 times since (I think). I think them headlining is inevitable within 5 years IF Ivan can hold his shit together. I like them but they are what they are, if you want deep meaningful lyrics, highly technical musicianship and don't have a cheese filter you'd probably best go elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Pretty sure their arena tour was part of Ticketmaster's 2 for 1 Black Friday thing so they can't be selling that well.

It wasn't a proper area tour anyway. Glasgow, Birmingham, small Leeds and London. People calling than an area tour is stupid and then not selling it out is even worse. If you don't listen to them you don't have a clue who they are let alone what the songs are regardless of the fact they get a huge crowd at the only fest that is only really catered for them. They were booked in a very average spot for R&L which says it all about where they are on the mainstream point of things. Just B4MV overselling themselves as an arena band for it to fail.

I've changed my mind.

2019: Slipknot, Metallica, Rammstein

2020: ADTR, Iron Maiden, SOAD (new album in tow)

While I don't think its impossible FFDP will headline given the reception they get here, I think they need to prove themselves with a better selling Arena tour, so will probably sub Metallica then headline 2022 or something.

17 hours ago, devilman said:

Saw 5FDP for the 1st time at DL2010 and have seen them 8 times since (I think). I think them headlining is inevitable within 5 years IF Ivan can hold his shit together. I like them but they are what they are, if you want deep meaningful lyrics, highly technical musicianship and don't have a cheese filter you'd probably best go elsewhere.

To me, the ffdp set at DL 2017 felt like a farewell show. They certainly seemed to be making a big deal of their exit/finale. No?

20 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Pretty sure their arena tour was part of Ticketmaster's 2 for 1 Black Friday thing so they can't be selling that well.

Their Glasgow show definitely did terribly. That said, watched videos from Birmingham and it looked pretty busy. Glasgow can be a weird gauge for other places as Blink 182 did shockingly bad here too, yet sold out other places.

On 06/01/2018 at 4:17 PM, Moey said:

To me, the ffdp set at DL 2017 felt like a farewell show. They certainly seemed to be making a big deal of their exit/finale. No?

DL2017 was a crap show by a band barely holding it together. I think it was the last show before Ivan went into rehab. He should have gone way earlier and stayed longer. Seen them twice since and whilst their Berlin show was a bit sketchy at times due to Ivan not being totally on his game, the Glasgow show was as good as I have seen. They're back and going nowhere.

10 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

Their Glasgow show definitely did terribly. That said, watched videos from Birmingham and it looked pretty busy. Glasgow can be a weird gauge for other places as Blink 182 did shockingly bad here too, yet sold out other places.

It wasn't sold out but "terribly" is doing them and you a disservice. It was a full floor and seating was only one layer but about 3/4 full once FFDP came on. It was well empty previously. 18th Dec is a bad time for people to be forking out. There were no end of office parties around town that night too.

Arena sell-outs always weird. The only places Maiden didn't sell out on their UK tour were Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and Glasgow. The first three makes some sense; they're all within 35 miles of each other, give or take; had one of those nights not been there, the other two would have sold out with by default of fan numbers.

Can't speak for Glasgow though - and of course, Maiden in a different class to FFDP in terms of sales.

FFDP's crowd in Leeds was... meagre. Standing and Tier 1 open with about three blocks in Tier 2. Would hazard a guess at around 5500 there. Could have been more, could have been significantly less.

The London show wasn't sold out, probably 4 blocks of seating empty, floor was pretty packed though.

However, having seen the Download 17 show, I felt it was a definite return to form for Ivan.

Plenty of energy and crowd interaction throughout the set, it was a fun show to be at.

The questions now are how long can he stay clean for and can they get their label issues sorted?

FFDP feel like they should have been sub last time but shouldn't go any higher any time soon. Although the next album could do them the world of good. It's amazing how much difference one album can make. However, I am still doubtful about them ever being a headliner. They just seem to have very little mainstream appeal and I don't see that changing. Pretty much every Download headliner has been known in the mainstream. Except for maybe Tool but then they are legends and have a massive following. Plus it's very rare to get a chance to see them. Also Faith No More but they were coming back on a big reunion tour and have since dropped down the lineup. Even the 2008 headliners had more mainstream appeal.

FFDP should be only getting bigger at this point, but the same goes for bands like KoRn and BMTH; both of these bands are more experienced headliners for festivals as big as Download, and if anyone gets in as early as 2019, it outta be them. Plus both of these bands could have new albums out not too long from the date of Download as well, I don't see that happening with FFPD, at the time being anyways, 2022 might be worth everyone's wait.

4 hours ago, seant007 said:

FFDP should be only getting bigger at this point, but the same goes for bands like KoRn and BMTH; both of these bands are more experienced headliners for festivals as big as Download, and if anyone gets in as early as 2019, it outta be them. Plus both of these bands could have new albums out not too long from the date of Download as well, I don't see that happening with FFPD, at the time being anyways, 2022 might be worth everyone's wait.

Korn? Really? Have a word with yourself...

• Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, Reece1617 said:

Booked mine a few days ago too. Who are you most looking forward to?

Parkway Drive for sure. I’m expecting them to headline the second stage and it will be such a crowning moment for them. Also really looking forward to Alexisonfire, Neck Deep and Meshuggah. And obviously GNR. 

How about you! 

43 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Parkway Drive for sure. I’m expecting them to headline the second stage and it will be such a crowning moment for them. Also really looking forward to Alexisonfire, Neck Deep and Meshuggah. And obviously GNR. 

How about you! 

Yeah, I'm well excited for Parkway. After they had to pull out of Leeds '16 I've been dying to see them again. They smashed the main stage last time they played so I'd love to see them headline 2nd. 

Interested to see WSTR and after seeing Bullet at Brixton I'm quite looking forward to seeing them too. 

19 hours ago, h1210 said:

Korn? Really? Have a word with yourself...

WHY? Korn is going to get bigger, why do you think they wont headline at 2019, they'll have a new album in the works and who knows if Slipknot are even gonna stay around by then, they could just call retire at any moment.

Edited by seant007

32 minutes ago, seant007 said:

WHY? Korn is going to get bigger, why do you think they wont headline at 2019, they'll have a new album in the works and who knows if Slipknot are even gonna stay around by then, they could just call retire at any moment.

If slipknot could retire at any moment then couldn’t korn just do the same, considering korn are an older band. 

Korn are so past their peak now, they could’ve easily been put up to headlining 10 or 15 years ago but no British festival gave them that last push up, just cannot see that happening now when there are newer bands to take those slots like ADTR or BMTH

• Upvote 2