Download 2018

Hart Attack

3 minutes ago, Matty1992 said:

Does this mean we are gonna get foos on the saturday... seems likely with Biffy and muse taking that saturday slot in the last couple of years... 

if that is the case, download is dying. 

Nah highly unlikely Foos will play. Maybe GnR or Maiden if they're waiting for them to announce tours, or maybe someone shite who's bee drafted in last minute to replace Metallica like Def Leppard or BMTH.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

Nah highly unlikely Foos will play. Maybe GnR or Maiden if they're waiting for them to announce tours, or maybe someone shite who's bee drafted in last minute to replace Metallica like Def Leppard or BMTH.

i hope you are right! to be fair, i dont think the 2 headliners are terrible, i was just expecting so much more. If GNR play, i think it changes everything. If Maiden play, they are gonna need some shit hot headliners on the other stages to get my money. 

8 minutes ago, Matty1992 said:

Does this mean we are gonna get foos on the saturday... seems likely with Biffy and muse taking that saturday slot in the last couple of years... 

if that is the case, download is dying. 

In what way would Download be dying if Foo Fighters headlined? It’d attract new crowds to the festival (for real this time) and it’s possibly the most popular headliner they could book with long-time goers as well. Would actually be the biggest sign that the festival is still alive. :lol:

But nah, Foos won’t be playing or else they’d have scheduled their announcement in France to coincide with the UK like they did with Ozzy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

In what way would Download be dying if Foo Fighters headlined? It’d attract new crowds to the festival (for real this time) and it’s possibly the most popular headliner they could book with long-time goers as well. Would actually be the biggest sign that the festival is still alive. :lol:

But nah, Foos won’t be playing or else they’d have scheduled their announcement in France to coincide with the UK like they did with Ozzy.

Sorry, but i disagree... 

I dont see why radio friendly bands such as muse, biffy and foos should be headlining before up and coming bands more relevant to the genre. i understand it is to bring in a wider audience - i can just see it being like R&L in 5-10 years time. not everything is about getting a bigger audience and making yourself more money

but If you wanna see those bands go to R&L...

i feel like if soni was still around, it at least means there is some competition to produce a better line up. it feels as if download knows its the only BIG rock festival and they can just give a "take it or leave it cos its all your getting line up".

3 minutes ago, Matty1992 said:

Sorry, but i disagree... 

I dont see why radio friendly bands such as muse, biffy and foos should be headlining before up and coming bands more relevant to the genre. i understand it is to bring in a wider audience - i can just see it being like R&L in 5-10 years time. not everything is about getting a bigger audience and making yourself more money

i feel like if soni was still around, it at least means there is some competition to produce a better line up. it feels as if download knows its the only BIG rock festival and they can just give a "take it or leave it cos its all your getting line up".

Because there aren't enough headliners within the heavy rock/metal genres for Download to be sustainable without them widening the audience or bumping up bands. Foos are also bigger than any band they could realistically book and would sell a shit load of tickets whilst still appealing greatly to their core audience (much more so than Muse in 2015). Yeah they also should be bumping up acts like BMTH but they don't seem to want to do this. If Download could get Foos they'd snap their hands off.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Matty1992 said:

Sorry, but i disagree... 

Relevant to what genre? The festival only ever identifies as a rock festival and Foos are the biggest name in rock so they’re pretty relevant to the interests of the festival, particularly having never played. If it was solely a metal festival it would be dying because of how much the metal scene looks backwards - hell, you have Korn and Limp Bizkit as more likely future headliners than rising acts like Architects or Parkway Drive cos people seem more than happy to pay for the same old rather than a fresh face.

Plus I believe (before the walls went up at least) the vote on the official forum has pretty solidly had Foos among the top choices. And that’s among forum peeps; they’d be an even more overwhelming favourite among the masses.

17 minutes ago, Matty1992 said:

i feel like if soni was still around, it at least means there is some competition to produce a better line up

Soni isn't around because there's just not the bands in a niche genre to produce a better line-up - at least, not one that will sell to the numbers that Download tries (and soni tried) to sell to.

Just get the sense with Andy is that he gets the bands that he wants rather than the fans. Nothing against A7X think their headline material but think would sell more tickets for Foo Fighters. Generally think live nation need to sort their shit out, as they clearly can’t attract the big guns no more. I know lot has been said about Ozzy but the guy is a living legend, who at the age he is at to still perform is awesome. Just generally think Download is under achieving and need to up the game and I don’t feel it can move forward with Andy. I understand it’s difficult for promoters but can understand folks frustration having same bands headline. 

17 minutes ago, Marker said:

Just get the sense with Andy is that he gets the bands that he wants rather than the fans. Nothing against A7X think their headline material but think would sell more tickets for Foo Fighters. Generally think live nation need to sort their shit out, as they clearly can’t attract the big guns no more. I know lot has been said about Ozzy but the guy is a living legend, who at the age he is at to still perform is awesome. Just generally think Download is under achieving and need to up the game and I don’t feel it can move forward with Andy. I understand it’s difficult for promoters but can understand folks frustration having same bands headline. 

Andy didn't book A7X over Foos because he wants them more. He booked them because A7X can't get a bigger gig than that but Foos can and therefore won't play Download.

1 hour ago, Marker said:

29 minutes ago, Marker said:

Nothing against A7X be awesome to see them, as missed them for Offspring few years back but just expect more from Download. 

We've still got a headliner left and the whole of the undercard, jesus christ judging the festival on 2 bands is ridiculous.

Aye. We should only be saying we expect, or hope for more if Download's final headliner is someone underwhelmingly obvious to be honest, like Maiden again. (No disrespect to Maiden, who are probably my favourite act across the harder spectrum of music, full stop.) Three headline slots in five years is outrageous. Booking them - or Slipknot, or Rammstein - would be underwhelming due to how recently those acts headlined - and how prior to their last slots they were booked too. Ozzy leans into that category I guess somewhat because it will only be two years since Sabbath proper - but he will bring solo cuts this time too, so less so.

Every new Download headliner - even if proven elsewhere, a la Muse and Biffy - is a shot in the arm for the festival, it's something fresh on the turf of Donington. It's why Foo Fighters or Pearl Jam would be such great bookings, It's why we should cherish that next generation too, of up-and-comers who should have the chance to prove themselves atop the pile, a la BMTH.

Ozzy and A7X are only underwhelming in the sense that we all felt they were both locked on months ago - so there's been little surprise.

Also, I missed all the Def Leppard flack years ago as I was a touch too young - but it's what, seven years now since they last turned up? I'd only lean on it being underwhelming as it's a second eighties-vintage radio act. If you must have such another band, then someone in the vein of Bon Jovi would be a good option (albeit unlikely).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Download shouldn't book radio friendly bands and must keep it METAL.

Except for AC/DC, GNR, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Kiss.

But they were radio friendly in the 80s so it's okay.

Jesus

Who said anything about GNR, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Aerosmith or Kiss?

Trust me, the last thing i want is a bunch of 70 year olds running around the stage in spandex and face paint.

45 minutes ago, Matty1992 said:

Who said anything about GNR, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Aerosmith or Kiss?

Trust me, the last thing i want is a bunch of 70 year olds running around the stage in spandex and face paint.

Ah, okay. So could you give a big list of names that you deem appropriate to headline please?