Download 2018

Hart Attack

2 minutes ago, Aech said:

Guns N Roses are fucking incredible nowadays, if Download let them play their usual set it would be amazing.

They may be, but not my cuppa tea. 

Infact, I think that almost all the big 'classic' hard rock / hair metal bands that Download love so much are shite

There are three things that Download absolutely need to do in 2018: 

1. Code Orange on the Main Stage

2. Architects third down Main 

3. Parkway Drive headlining Second 

Each slot would be fully deserved and show that they give a damn about the future. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

There are three things that Download absolutely need to do in 2018: 

1. Code Orange on the Main Stage

2. Architects third down Main 

3. Parkway Drive headlining Second 

Each slot would be fully deserved and show that they give a damn about the future. 

Agreed with this so much, at least they showed signs that they're getting into the right mindset regarding bands with Creeper getting a good spot on main last year, I'd also add that if Shikari are playing they need to be sub (as much as the new album sucks), but I think if Live Nation have any sense and have some semblance of intra-festival band planning and management they'd have Shikari headline the NME at RnL, Then have them sub Download 19 when Metallica is there so the undercard doesn't matter quite as much, and finally try and time it like how they did with BMTH as a sub at RnL when the first couple of singles of album 6 are hot out of the oven in lead up to a winter album release, London, Manchester and Glasgow arena run then Download headliners.

Edited by KingPin

5 minutes ago, KingPin said:

Agreed with this so much, at least they showed signs that they're getting into the right mindset regarding bands with Creeper getting a good spot on main last year, I'd also add that if Shikari are playing they need to be sub (as much as the new album sucks), but I think if Live Nation have any sense and have some semblance of intra-festival band planning and management they'd have Shikari headline the NME at RnL.

WOAH. The Spark is great, man :P but anyway, I agree. If Enter Shikari are to play Download, they absolutely must be given a sub slot. I think that Frank Carter should also get a Main Stage slot. It’d be nice to see The One Hundred, who are a really exciting young band (live especially), get an opening Main slot, too. They absolutely blew the crowd away this year. And finally, how cool would Body Count be on the Main B)

Edited by Andre91

Just now, Andre91 said:

WOAH. The Spark is great, man :P but anyway, I agree. If Enter Shikari are to play Download, they absolutely must be given a sub slot. 

Oh no I can't stand it, it's boring to listen too, and any resemblance of that band with a bit of fire and spark (sorry for the pun...or am I...:ph34r:) about them with TTTS is completely gone. I actually refuse to ever see them again after THAT Slam Dunk performance this year, just so my memory of them as a live band remains pristine with them playing all their best album (unless they release a masterpiece, but I just don't think they have it in them anymore).

I loved Enter Shikari until I heard the new album. Now I think they have totally fucked it. What even is that??? It's a soft poppy sound but even fails at that. It just sux. They've done a BFMV and arrested their climb up the playing order. They'll never be higher than 3rd from top on main IF they play an old album in its entirety or a greatest hits set. Anything else and they'll sink. R/L band only now for me.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, KingPin said:

Oh no I can't stand it, it's boring to listen too, and any resemblance of that band with a bit of fire and spark (sorry for the pun...or am I...:ph34r:) about them with TTTS is completely gone. I actually refuse to ever see them again after THAT Slam Dunk performance this year, just so my memory of them as a live band remains pristine with them playing all their best album (unless they release a masterpiece, but I just don't think they have it in them anymore).

They’ve already released a masterpiece ;) 

3 minutes ago, devilman said:

I loved Enter Shikari until I heard the new album. Now I think they have totally fucked it. What even is that??? It's a soft poppy sound but even fails at that. It just sux. They've done a BFMV and arrested their climb up the playing order. They'll never be higher than 3rd from top on main IF they play an old album in its entirety or a greatest hits set. Anything else and they'll sink. R/L band only now for me.

I don’t think the transition they’ve made is that drastic. The Spark seems to follow on from AFFOC much better than The Mindsweep (said masterpiece). The Spark is still distinctly Enter Shikari. 

7 minutes ago, devilman said:

Agreed. How often does it actually work out where a huge alternative band completely abandons the reason they're big and become more popular? How's it working out for Shikari, Paramore, Linkin Park, 30STM, YMAS etc etc. 

Imagine how big (and good) Weezer would be if they didn't fuck it

24 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Agreed. How often does it actually work out where a huge alternative band completely abandons the reason they're big and become more popular? How's it working out for Shikari, Paramore, Linkin Park, 30STM, YMAS etc etc. 

Imagine how big (and good) Weezer would be if they didn't fuck it

Enter Shikari haven’t completely abandoned the reason they’re big and popular. 

Shikari are about to embark on their second arena tour. Paramore, still playing arenas. 30STM, still playing arenas. Linkin Park, were still selling out arenas. It’s worked out quite nicely for BMTH who shamelessly abandoned what made them who they were in a way Shikari haven’t. 

As for Weezer, the Blue Album was huge, but at the time, when Pinkerton came out, nobody gave a shit. It got panned. It was only during their absence and more towards Green coming out that anyone started to realise how great Pinkerton was. They didn’t fuck it, because, to me, fucking it is making a mistake or two. Weezer made that mistake over and over again and they just became a shit albums band for a long, long time and if it wasn’t for The White Album, it could easily be said that Weezer have been shite since 2001. Each album (mostly) since Green has its moments for sure, but, then again, they’ve just done Wembley for the first time in their careers, so they haven’t done all bad. I think they could still sub Download and not many would argue with it :) 

Edited by Andre91

28 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

They’ve already released a masterpiece ;) 

26 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I don’t think the transition they’ve made is that drastic. The Spark seems to follow on from AFFOC much better than The Mindsweep (said masterpiece). The Spark is still distinctly Enter Shikari. 

Yeah but you're wrong about what album the masterpiece is, Take To the Skies in the masterpiece, Mindsweep is a disjointed mess, and if I'm being honest more disappointing than The Spark, as Last Garrison was such an amazing lead single, then the rest of the album dropped and just ugh.

Just now, KingPin said:

Yeah but you're wrong about what album the masterpiece is, Take To the Skies in the masterpiece, Mindsweep is a disjointed mess, and if I'm being honest more disappointing than The Spark, as Last Garrison was such an amazing lead single, then the rest of the album dropped and just ugh.

Disjointed mess? Wrong. The Mindsweep is a journey.

Edited by Andre91

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Enter Shikari haven’t completely abandoned the reason they’re big and popular. 

Shikari are about to embark on their second arena tour. Paramore, still playing arenas. 30STM, still playing arenas. Linkin Park, were still selling out arenas. It’s worked out quite nicely for BMTH who shamelessly abandoned what made them who they were in a way Shikari haven’t. 

Fair enough about Shikari

Linkin Park, Paramore and 30STM still do, but people are there to hear the old stuff  (mostly, I for one think new Paramores quality) . They were always huge bands 

I wouldn't count BMTH because they weren't particularly big before they went commercial, so didn't have that much to lose

Note that I'm not trying to claim all these bands 'sold out' or that they shouldn't experiment with their sound. Just making an observation

Edited by Steve1000

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Disjointed mess? Wrong. The Mindsweep is a journey.

It's a mess mate, a massive step down from albums 2+3, let alone 1.

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

Fair enough about Shikari

Linkin Park, Paramore and 30STM still do, but people are there to hear the old stuff.  (mostly, I for one think new Paramores quality) . They were always huge bands 

I wouldn't count BMTH because they weren't particularly big before they went commercial, so didn't have that much to lose

Linkin Park were once the hottest band on the planet, and you can ride the success of 3 back to back 15+ million global selling albums for long time, and Paramore and 30STM were instantly big bands after their first 2 albums, whereas Enter Shikari and BMTH have been slow crawls to becoming huge, which I why I think they're both now on the precipice of either fucking things up completely or becoming legitimately huge headliner size bands, but I'm really not confident for either that they can do it, especially BMTH with how shit Oli is live nowadays.

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Nah. I'm gonna have to disagree with you there pal. The Spark pretty much removes any Post Hardcore element the band had. The Mindsweep still had that element running through it and is way closer to AFFOC than The Spark. The Spark to Shikari is basically what Only Revolutions is to Biffy. Also I wasn't that keen on the album if you couldn't tell and it's easily their weakest one to date 

The shit storm that follows this announcement is going to be funny, I hope Copping loses his shit on Twitter again :ninja:

Baffling why they would time it after announcing Foo Fighters the day before for Download Paris because it makes an otherwise acceptable booking for them look weak. I know it's a different team that runs Paris, but surely they must communicate?

• Upvote 1