Download 2018

Hart Attack

10 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Have A7x actually been announced/rumoured for any festivals next year? I can't see that they've got any dates after February.

Not yet. They were nailed on last year and pulled to do the Metallica support around USA. They were supposed to come back this year but I've seen nothing yet to suggest this. I am confident they will. Unless, of course, Metallica are taking them somewhere else with them............

30 minutes ago, devilman said:

Not yet. They were nailed on last year and pulled to do the Metallica support around USA. They were supposed to come back this year but I've seen nothing yet to suggest this. I am confident they will. Unless, of course, Metallica are taking them somewhere else with them............

Well Metallica were supposed to be coming to Europe which they've now apparently postponed :P Can't imagine they've done that to tour elsewhere instead.

Just found it odd that everyone seems to think A7x are nailed on when I've just seen they've got no dates announced after February and I've not seen them rumoured for any other festivals.

I have a feeling with Metallica out this may be a weaker year. Something like:

Avenged Sevenfold
Marilyn Manson

Nine Inch Nails
Enter Shikari

Ozzy Osbourne
Stone Sour

I'd be happy with that though and I prefer it when it's quieter. It's been a while since we have had a weaker year also.

7 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I could see Bon Jovi being a last minute replacement. 

Avenged / Bon Jovi / Ozzy

Enter Shikari / NIN / BSC

Would assume Bon Jovi will already have been picked up by IOW or BST. Someone like NIN or BMTH as a last minute replacement would be more likely imo.

Maybe Def Leppard? Would say Maiden but I'm sure they'll already have other plans in the UK, be that stadiums or BST or whatever.

1 hour ago, SOAD said:

I have a feeling with Metallica out this may be a weaker year. Something like:

Avenged Sevenfold
Marilyn Manson

Nine Inch Nails
Enter Shikari

Ozzy Osbourne
Stone Sour

I'd be happy with that though and I prefer it when it's quieter. It's been a while since we have had a weaker year also.

Swap NIN and Shikari and you'd sell alot of sat tickets. Throw Placebo under them

I'm currently thinking we will get the following on main: Avenged Sevenfold, Nine Inch Nails and either Ozzy Osbourne or Guns N Roses headlining. Then have Alice in Chains, Arcane Roots, Black Label Society (if Ozzy turns up), Brand New, The Darkness, Enter Shikari, Evanescence, Hollywood Undead, Megadeth, Marilyn Manson, Marmozets, Parkway Drive, Saxon and Stone Sour appearing over the weekend on main. I figure we'll get a classic rock/Ozzfest style day, a more what reading used to be day and a more traditional Download day.

Edited by SOAD

2 hours ago, SOAD said:

I'm currently thinking we will get the following on main: Avenged Sevenfold, Nine Inch Nails and either Ozzy Osbourne or Guns N Roses headlining. Then have Alice in Chains, Arcane Roots, Black Label Society (if Ozzy turns up), Brand New, The Darkness, Enter Shikari, Evanescence, Hollywood Undead, Megadeth, Marilyn Manson, Marmozets, Parkway Drive, Saxon and Stone Sour appearing over the weekend on main. I figure we'll get a classic rock/Ozzfest style day, a more what reading used to be day and a more traditional Download day.

NIN don't seem like a right fit at Download imo. Not quite rawkin enough. No big theatrical stage show. Probably not quite big enough to justify the risk, really. Of course I'd love to see that risk be taken, but I feel like the headliners will be your usual safe bets, and Metallica, A7X and Ozzy (and maybe GnR) are just that.

NIN have no big stage show? They are known for consistently having one of the best. Pretty much pioneers in the visual side of live performance. Already said Metallica are out and I get the feeling Guns may be too expensive. Hence why I went with Ozzy first who does feel like a weird booking since he hasn't done it till now.

Edited by SOAD

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

NIN not having a big stage show :lol: 

He said 'big theatrical stage show' and is pretty spot on with that. It's a cracking light show that suits their music but it's basically dark figures playing in front of or under bright screens and lights, from the bits I've seen. Compare that to most other headliners with pyro and props and walkways and such, and also factor in them not having the patter that most headliners have with the crowd or the legendary metal anthems; it's really not gonna be as much of a spectacle for non-fans. Very subdued and not many big crowd-pleasers.

It'd be something starkly different and that's probably why they should do it but doesn't mean we should expect it. I agree with FF that it's a risk and not one that Download will be in a rush to take. Even if they're definitely touring around the time, you'd have to be letting your heart rule over your head to think that Nine Inch Nails are genuinely likely to break into Download's headliners. The festival manages to prove every year how risk-averse it is because of the usual suspects clogging the place up.

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

He said 'big theatrical stage show' and is pretty spot on with that. It's a cracking light show that suits their music but it's basically dark figures playing in front of or under bright screens and lights, from the bits I've seen. Compare that to most other headliners with pyro and props and walkways and such, and also factor in them not having the patter that most headliners have with the crowd or the legendary metal anthems; it's really not gonna be as much of a spectacle for non-fans. Very subdued and not many big crowd-pleasers.

It'd be something starkly different and that's probably why they should do it but doesn't mean we should expect it. I agree with FF that it's a risk and not one that Download will be in a rush to take. Even if they're definitely touring around the time, you'd have to be letting your heart rule over your head to think that Nine Inch Nails are genuinely likely to break into Download's headliners. The festival manages to prove every year how risk-averse it is because of the usual suspects clogging the place up.

Makes so much sense when you say it like that :lol: 

I'm going to see Weezer at Wembley later so if they drop any (huuuugely) unlikely Download clues I'll report back. 

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I get what you mean and Copping keeps flip flopping on his thoughts on NIN but I think if it is ever gonna happen it'll be this year. Otherwise I think NIN are resigned to not headlining a major UK festival. I would say they definitely have anthems and very well known songs and they could be considered metal. March of the Pigs in particular is very heavy. On the theatrical side I think it is theatrical. You wouldn't expect Rocky Horror to be the same as Les Miserables after all. However, yes not conventionally theatrical in the vein of an Iron Maiden but only bands like that can pull that off. Biffy headlined and I can't imagine Biffy ever having a mascot on stage. Foos would go down a storm also and they have no stage show to speak of. Yes Dave is a more forward front man so that makes up for it but I think the atmosphere of NIN wouldn't include Trent screaming out "You alright?" or "SCREEAAM" to the crowd. They're undeniably a successful headliner abroad and I think if they did it it would be good for Download. I do have my doubts though.

Starting to think they would be more suited for the Friday and then have bigger commercial acts like Avenged Sevenfold/Ozzy Osbourne do the Saturday and Sunday. NIN would sell day tickets but I would say their fanbase would be more willing to buy weekend tickets to see them as opposed to the other two who would guarantee more day tickets if that makes sense.

Edited by SOAD

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I agree but if Metallica have just cancelled their tour leaving Saturday night open then it's gonna be someone they didn't want as a first choice. Either someone like NIN who are already around and not picked up by any other UK fests, or someone underwhelming like Def Leppard or some shit.

2 hours ago, kaip said:

where's the metallica dropping out info coming from?

Guy called Zegut who is v reliable when it comes to European festivals.