Download 2018

Hart Attack

I'm betting a lot on Green Day, BMTH, and Ax7  as the headliners, Metallica waited too long to hit download at this point with hardwired imo. 

And plus these are three young bands with each willing to play new material by the time they hit the stage next year, and this lineup is balanced as well.

2 minutes ago, seant007 said:

I'm betting a lot on Green Day, BMTH, and Ax7  as the headliners, Metallica waited too long to hit download at this point with hardwired imo. 

And plus these are three young bands with each willing to play new material by the time they hit the stage next year, and this lineup is balanced as well.

Exactly how much are you betting on that? :lol:

Green Day certainly aren't a young band (A7X is a stretch too!) and their last album came out a month before Hardwired did, and no they won't have a new record out by next summer. Green Day have also done their arena tour and their summer festival run and they're notoriously rare across this side of the pond. Metallica, however, are here every summer but have kept away for a couple of years, have only just started their arena tour here and the second leg of the tour ends just before European festival season so they are quite likely to stick around.

On 9/17/2017 at 11:13 PM, seant007 said:

There's literally no chance those 3 are the headliners. Avenged are probably there but there's no way they get paired with Bring Me and Green Day. 

I think Avenged are the most certain out of the acts being talked about, and even though I think it's unlikely I'd love NIN to be there, thinking something like this:

NIN, Enter Shikari, Volbeat

Bullet For My Valentine

Metallica, Stone Sour, Architects

You Me at Six

Avenged Sevenfold, Marilyn Manson, Parkway Drive

Within Temptation

Not that it should come as any surprise to me/anybody but Marilyn Manson's new album is as mediocre as they come. Either he changed his mind about the sound half way through or he's totally forgotten what Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals sound like because this one sounds like neither and could've been released any time in the last ten years. 

New Machine Head album out in January though so got high hopes for that - they haven't made a misstep since Through the Ashes of Empires imo, and hopefully Download will at least give them the sub slot they deserve.

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not that it should come as any surprise to me/anybody but Marilyn Manson's new album is as mediocre as they come. Either he changed his mind about the sound half way through or he's totally forgotten what Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals sound like because this one sounds like neither and could've been released any time in the last ten years. 

New Machine Head album out in January though so got high hopes for that - they haven't made a misstep since Through the Ashes of Empires imo, and hopefully Download will at least give them the sub slot they deserve.

MH aren't doing festivals still. Said they aren't playing '45 minute slots, or supporting some DJ or playing parking lots in the rain.' They will be playing for two and a half hours and only headlining. 

I think if they carry on holding off on festivals for a few more years and if their new album does well then they could headline Download in the next few years. God knows they deserve it. 

On 20/09/2017 at 7:09 AM, Andre91 said:

MH aren't doing festivals still. Said they aren't playing '45 minute slots, or supporting some DJ or playing parking lots in the rain.' They will be playing for two and a half hours and only headlining. 

I think if they carry on holding off on festivals for a few more years and if their new album does well then they could headline Download in the next few years. God knows they deserve it. 

They're not gonna get rewarded for not playing festivals, and they likely won't get big enough without doing 'em either.

2 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Avenged Sevenfold / Weezer / Stone Sour 

Alice In Chains

Metallica / Judas Priest / Architects

Panic! At the disco

Ozzy / Nine Inch Nails / Marylin Manson

Parkway Drive

There's no way NIN will sub IMO, also Stone Sour are bigger than Weezer.

5 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

Listened to the Enter Shikari album. A couple of disappointing moments, but most of it is absolutely incredible IMO.

I've had it for a week now and I also think it is wonderful. Some of the lyrics on this album are astounding. My highlight is the mammoth chorus on Take My Country Back. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Dont see why not, subbed every other festival, why in 2017 will they start demanding headline slots?

Guess you could alternate the two but Weezer certainly feel the bigger band to me

They've only ever subbed RnL in this country, and last time that happened Trent lost the plot, he's not doing that again, plus they could legitimately headline Download outright anyway. 

Nah Stone Sour are significantly bigger, they're about to do a multiple arena date tour, whereas Weezer are still only doing academies outside of London where they're doing Wembley, also Stone Sour are a band on the up and will headliner Download one day, Weezer won't.

56 minutes ago, KingPin said:

They've only ever subbed RnL in this country, and last time that happened Trent lost the plot, he's not doing that again, plus they could legitimately headline Download outright anyway. 

Nah Stone Sour are significantly bigger, they're about to do a multiple arena date tour, whereas Weezer are still only doing academies outside of London where they're doing Wembley, also Stone Sour are a band on the up and will headliner Download one day, Weezer won't.

Soni 09

And they might be a bigger band, but the future headliner things irrelevant. Even if a band is a future headliner, if they're smaller now they should play smaller slots now. Like saying Marmozets are a future headliner so should play higher than Judas Priest

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

Soni 09

And they might be a bigger band, but the future headliner things irrelevant. Even if a band is a future headliner, if they're smaller now they should play smaller slots now. Like saying Marmozets are a future headliner so should play higher than Judas Priest

Yeah but regardless of the headliner thing Stone Sour ARE a bigger band right now

29 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I'm not sure what I'm missing with this new Shikari album. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but having also not been keen on The Mindsweep, I think I might have to accept my tastes have moved elsewhere :(.

Not heard the new effort but unfortunately I had this same feeling after warm smiles. When it started getting to the mindsweep tour the setlist had changed so much and so much dubstep/drum n bass had been added I lost interest. Such a shame as the first 3 records are great

40 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I'm not sure what I'm missing with this new Shikari album. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but having also not been keen on The Mindsweep, I think I might have to accept my tastes have moved elsewhere :(.

It's underwhelming and undercooked IMO, for instance The Sights (to me) feels like it ends abruptly and there should be another 30-40 seconds more on the end where they go hard on the track, but it just....ends....and it's like oh, An Ode To Lost Jigsaw Pieces is so so good though. 

14 hours ago, KingPin said:

It's underwhelming and undercooked IMO, for instance The Sights (to me) feels like it ends abruptly and there should be another 30-40 seconds more on the end where they go hard on the track, but it just....ends....and it's like oh, An Ode To Lost Jigsaw Pieces is so so good though. 

I've seen your political views on some other threads, out of curiosity does it not put you off listening to bands like Enter Shikari?

54 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I've seen your political views on some other threads, out of curiosity does it not put you off listening to bands like Enter Shikari?

Nah not at all, if their message is told with honesty, sincerity and conviction I'm perfectly fine with that as they're free to believe what they want to believe. Ultimately I don't care too much about lyrics as I just view vocals as another instrument, and if the instrument is good and mixes well with the other instruments then for me that's just good music. Good lyrics are just a bonus. It's why I can love bands like RATM and Refused (for example), even though, in particular with Refused, they're often the polar opposite in their political stances to me, I still love them to bits as Zach and Dennis feel honest (alongside the rest of the band) in their convictions and deliver them with passion. It's this same very reason why I cannot stand the new Prophets of Rage as it comes across so false (to me personally) and fake, and just seems like a massive cash grab, but Simon Killip's review on Sputnik articulates it all far better than I could.

For what it's worth Take To the Skies is one of my favourite records of all time, and getting to see them smash the whole album at Slam Dunk this year is one of my top 10 gigs, if not top 5, and I really quite like A Flash Flood of colour, I probably need to give Common Dreads a fairer reassessment as I only ever listened to it when it came out and I didn't like how different it was to TTTS, but that might have just been my stupid 14 nearly 15 year old self being stubborn and closed minded, and then for the Mindsweep I got duped into thinking that it was going to be more similar to TTTS with Last Garrison (which is amazing), and we end up with a disjointed mess of an album. The new album isn't bad in the sense that it's cringe worth or anything, it's just bland as fuck, similar to That's the Spirit, a couple of legitimately good songs, a couple of songs that need more work, and the rest bland and forgettable. 

EDIT: If I took politics into account when deciding wether or not to listen to an artist or not I'd have very little to listen too haha, it really doesn't bother me.

Edited by KingPin
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, KingPin said:

EDIT: If I took politics into account when deciding wether or not to listen to an artist or not I'd have very little to listen too haha, it really doesn't bother me.

That's true hahaha, not much more than Take That and Eagles of Death Metal until you die :P

Still, must be akward for you at gigs when they say something like "middle fingers in the air for the bastard tories fucking our people!"

Edited by Steve1000