Download 2018

Hart Attack

1 hour ago, RockCatNamedBob said:

I'll just throw this lineup out there due to what Andre is pointing out:

Friday- BMTH/ Enter Shikari/ 21 Pilots

Saturday- NIN/ Pumpkins/ Weezer

Sunday- Metallica/ Stone Sour/ Volbeat

Oh god please no! I like ES but that is a woeful Friday. Sat almost as bad. Sunday is fine though, would leave the van and 2nd/3rd for that :)

On 03/08/2017 at 3:00 PM, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Well yeah, this Saturday did terrible numbers by all accounts. That's why they wouldn't go with it and why it wouldn't help Parkway Drive or Architects to play under BMTH and Enter Shikari. They'd do far better playing 3rd or 4th down under a Metallica or even an Avenged. 

How do you know? I can't see typical Biffy fans booking weekend tickets and having to sit through shit like Municipal Waste, so if you want them you'd need a propper casual day and rely on day tics. 

3 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

NIN would be fucking cool but they've subbed everywhere else so it would make Download seem weak if they headlined which I highly doubt Andy would have

Andy has said on twitter in the (not too distant) past that he would consider NIN a headliner. He also said that he considers Tool a bigger draw but that goes without saying. 

By the time 2018 comes around, NIN will have been absent from the UK for 4 years. Couple that with the new material they've been putting out and a UK exclusive tag, it'd work. Their new production looks stunning and their fanbase is feverent.

Edited by Andre91

13 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

How do you know? I can't see typical Biffy fans booking weekend tickets and having to sit through shit like Municipal Waste, so if you want them you'd need a propper casual day and rely on day tics. 

I was there. I left halfway through Biffy to catch Zombie. That was one of the smallest crowds for a headliner I've ever seen at Download.  ADTR seemed alright levels for a sub especially given some of the crowds that day but AFI 3rd down was pretty sparse too. 

I'm not saying don't book BMTH to headline, don't have Shikari sub, don't have Parkway and Architects 3rd and 4th down etc, but do it in a smart way that is best for the bands future at the festival.

I think with Architects and Parkway Drive you have two bands who struggle for credibility with large portions of the Download audience. Some of this is because they just don't like the music, fine, but a lot of it is to do with how those bands are perceived as emo metal/shit for kids, whereas if they actually listened to that latest Parkway Drive album they'd hear a lot of influence from the bands that they themselves like.

I think with both of those bands you have two bonafide heavy bands that are both very good live and the festival could do with rising up the ranks, but as neither of those bands are as commercial as a BMTH, some of it needs to come from a heavier audience/casual Download goer. Having those two bands under a headliner like BMTH and a sub like Shikari does nothing for them at all because the average punter wont give them the time of day and you'll see the same "The Saturday is just absolute shite full of emo crap again". 

AFI had a painfully small crowd for a band playing third down. Half the crowd wasn't interested, either. They were absolutely awesome though. 

I don't think Parkway or Architects struggle for credibility with the DL audience at all. I saw loads of people over the weekend wearing their merch. 

Biffy was always going to get a small crowd at Download. Fair points on Parkway and Architects although there's always going to be a snobbery about metalcore, similar to nu metal which has done just fine over here. I doubt either of those bands will get particularly bigger than they already are anyway, so I think it's safe to assume Andy will set the days out in a way which will sell the most tickets

10 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Biffy was always going to get a small crowd at Download. Fair points on Parkway and Architects although there's always going to be a snobbery about metalcore, similar to nu metal which has done just fine over here. I doubt either of those bands will get particularly bigger than they already are anyway, so I think it's safe to assume Andy will set the days out in a way which will sell the most tickets

Both Parkway and Archtects are only getting bigger. 

27 minutes ago, ryannnn96 said:

Loved reading all this some very good ideas!

Could anyone see a co headline Korn and Deftones night?

We know neither band is big enough to headline but co together perhaps?

I can see NIN Subbing somewhere next year or headlining second stage 

They both honestly seem like bands that could eventually be headliners from just surviving so long while the headline pool of metal/rock fests lose numbers, however they both just played last year so not that soon I don't reckon.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They both honestly seem like bands that could eventually be headliners from just surviving so long while the headline pool of metal/rock fests lose numbers

I had never thought or heard of bands becoming headliners from just surviving, interesting and probable take!

2 hours ago, ryannnn96 said:

Loved reading all this some very good ideas!

Could anyone see a co headline Korn and Deftones night?

We know neither band is big enough to headline but co together perhaps?

I can see NIN Subbing somewhere next year or headlining second stage 

NIN are big enough in popularity and over all quality of performance to headline the main stage, I don't think they would be considered to be placed to headline the second stage, they've never ever played download, so if they do end up playing, it would make sense for them to hit the main stage at least as a subber. It'll be a lot more likely for a band like Trivium or Arch enemy to headline the 2nd stage next year, Nin are becoming better than ever live, and those bands fit into the 2nd stage's criterion better. Bands like muse and the prodigy have headlined the main stage by now, and both of those bands consider NIN a substantial influence to the music that they create, so it only make sense for NIN to pick up where those headliners left off. Plus might I add that Trent Reznor doesn't quite fancy open air festival shows like download, and he was given the opportunity to play before, but he refused. If they do play, he will probably be a lot less hesitant to do it if they ask him to take the icing at the top of the cake vs the soggy lumpy pieces towards the bottom, I mean there is a big difference between heading the main and 2nd stages, and they'll want the best that any band can get.

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I agree that KoRn and Deftones could both end up headlining in future because of their longevity. KoRn are absolutely in the form of their careers currently.

Im still currently going for NIN, A7X & Metallica. 

This lineup should defiantly come true as long as Nin are game to make it happen.

10 hours ago, RockCatNamedBob said:

Stone Sour I believe could just headline the 2nd stage next year OR even the main stage if Andy really feels extra passionate about Corey returning to download again, they have nearly what it takes to either at this point.

No chance they headline Main. They're playing, what, 2 or 3 arena dates at a push? There are plenty of other options available to Download before they give Stone Sour the bump. I'd expect them to sub. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RockCatNamedBob said:

Stone Sour I believe could just headline the 2nd stage next year OR even the main stage if Andy really feels extra passionate about Corey returning to download again, they have nearly what it takes to either at this point.

there's no way that Stone Sour are big enough to headline the main stage at download