Download 2018

Hart Attack

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:22 PM, Steve1000 said:

2018 : Metallica, QOTSA , A7X

2019: BMTH, Slipknot, Tool

2018 will either be that or Ax7, QOTSA, and KISS for one last time

2019 will defiantly have slipknot and Maiden, and I'll keep BMTH as the third  

8 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I just can't see QOTSA headlining Download for some reason I'm not quite sure of. 

I don't see why not. After both Muse and Biffy in previous years they seem like a decent bet for a 'rock' headliner alongside two more traditional Download headliners (Metallica and Avenged imo). 

If they manage to get both Metallica and GnR in the same year though then fair play as even with a weak undercard I can imagine that selling incredibly well. 

9 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I just can't see QOTSA headlining Download for some reason I'm not quite sure of. 

I'm going for A7X, GNR & Metallica. 

I think they could do without QOTSA headlining it next year. Going forward they're gonna have to have them as a headliner sometimes as the headliner pool will be small, but think someone like BMTH would be a better fit for them at this point. Although if they want BMTH at R+L and can't get GNR, I guess Metallica, A7X and QOTSA isn't that bad. 

10 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I'm going for A7X, GNR & Metallica. 

Qotsa are completely fit and destined to headline, they have a new album out and they haven't been to download that often, your possibility seems too basic of a lineup. it's a nice idea but both Metallica and gnr wont make it both being headliners for the weekend.

it's between bring me and queens as a new headliner, and it seems the queen has eaten the cake

1 hour ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

I think they could do without QOTSA headlining it next year. Going forward they're gonna have to have them as a headliner sometimes as the headliner pool will be small, but think someone like BMTH would be a better fit for them at this point. Although if they want BMTH at R+L and can't get GNR, I guess Metallica, A7X and QOTSA isn't that bad. 

Andy wont pass up qosta sorry, they don't come around that often, and they have been waiting sense 2013 to play a second time @ download. they are a mature and yet newer band to the download scene, they are without  doubt a headliner for next year, unless bmth or tool pull out a better album than villains.

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

Halestorm should get a proper high slot. I don't like them but I'd expect Andy would have them as future headliners. I'd also put money on Stone Sour subbing

stone sour will sub for sure

30 minutes ago, seant007 said:

Andy wont pass up qosta sorry, they don't come around that often, and they have been waiting sense 2013 to play a second time @ download. they are a mature and yet newer band to the download scene, they are without  doubt a headliner for next year, unless bmth or tool pull out a better album than villains.

If there's 1 headliner spot left to book and the choice of bands are Tool, Queens of The Stone Age and Bring Me The Horizon - you're not seeing Queens of The Stone Age or Bring Me The Horizon at Download next year. 

1 hour ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

If there's 1 headliner spot left to book and the choice of bands are Tool, Queens of The Stone Age and Bring Me The Horizon - you're not seeing Queens of The Stone Age or Bring Me The Horizon at Download next year. 

I wouldn't bet on that, tool and bring me are just other possibilities, qotsa are most definite to headline out of the three.

I think that BMTH would get booked to headline over QOTSA. I don't think either are likely for next year, though. 

Stone Sour subbing wouldn't shock me, but I still think they could get away with having them third down, especially if someone bigger becomes available (The Smashing Pumpkins). They should also give Volbeat a sub slot. Stick them below GNR. 

Avenged Sevenfold / Marilyn Manson / Papa Roach 

Ghost 

Guns N' Roses / Volbeat / Alice In Chains 

Parkway Drive (ending before GNR)

Metallica / The Smashing Pumpkins / Stone Sour 

Panic! at the Disco 

Edited by Andre91

Queens Of The Stone Age are only more likely because they're the only one definitely with an album out and who will definitely be around with less interest from other festivals. BMTH might not have an album out or be touring or if they are touring might headline R+L. Tool might not have an album out and might not even come to the UK, but if they are up for coming to the UK and are up for playing Download, then Copping will book them no questions asked.

You said the main reason QOTSA are likely is because they don't come around often, but Tool haven't even played a show in the UK since 2007. Since the last time Tool played in the UK and by the time Download 2018 rolls around, Queens Of The Stone Age will have had 5 UK tours, 3 Reading and Leeds appearances as well as performances at Glastonbury and Download. 

Edited by Pop Punk Sucks

26 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I think that BMTH would get booked to headline over QOTSA. I don't think either are likely for next year, though. 

Stone Sour subbing wouldn't shock me, but I still think they could get away with having them third down, especially if someone bigger becomes available (The Smashing Pumpkins). They should also give Volbeat a sub slot. Stick them below GNR. 

Ghost 

Panic! at the Disco 

Billy isn't putting old grudges aside to play the same slot as Volbeat man. If they want OG Smashing Pumpkins then they'll have to roll the dice on a headline booking. They probably won't so I'd assume Smashing Pumpkins would do BST/their own shows.

GNR aren't really looking likely. If they're still touring next year then I think a well received twenty date European leg this year guarantees leftover demand for stadiums next summer. There are rumours however that Slash is gonna do his Conspirators shit and AXL/DC will be back on the road.

The prediction looks pretty legit tho. I'd predict most of the same acts.

48 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Ghost 

Panic! at the Disco 

Stone Sour are deffo bigger than Volbeat, and Mansons absolute w*nk live so they deserve the higher slot. 

Is it just me or are there loads of bands who could play 3rd and hardly any who could sub? Maybe Andy could convince Trent, seems the right time for NIN

4 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Queens Of The Stone Age are only more likely because they're the only one definitely with an album out and who will definitely be around with less interest from other festivals. BMTH might not have an album out or be touring or if they are touring might headline R+L. Tool might not have an album out and might not even come to the UK, but if they are up for coming to the UK and are up for playing Download, then Copping will book them no questions asked.

You said the main reason QOTSA are likely is because they don't come around often, but Tool haven't even played a show in the UK since 2007. Since the last time Tool played in the UK and by the time Download 2018 rolls around, Queens Of The Stone Age will have had 5 UK tours, 3 Reading and Leeds appearances as well as performances at Glastonbury and Download. 

Copping has already talked about 2 out the 3 headliners for next year a couple of months ago, due to the timing of his announcement, the possibility of him suggest Tool is much slimmer than queens or bmth. tool rocked donnington back in 2006 with gnr and 'tallica, so if they DO play this year, there will be no Metallica or gnr on the lineup because of it. That would be a copied lineup of 2006 at that point. Next year either tool, bring me, or ax7  would be possible recommendations for Andy to have released in that interview back then. Out of those three bands it seems sense ax7 have been waiting to bring "The Stage" to festival gigs, and to the fact that they missed out this year, they are the most regarded recommendation for Fridays headliner and the most possible for Andy to have put in for Friday. QOTSA due to their genre, a new album coming out, rising popularity/ fan base, and the fact of them only playing download ONCE before in their whole career, makes them the most likely candidate, I mean tool is more of a Friday band than anything, so if it's between them, Metallica, for qotsa to headline Saturday, it's probably not going to them. Sunday's headliner it's anyone's guess really at this point , I'd say ultimately out of anyone it would be kiss due to the 2013, 2014, 2015 trend happening again now in 2016, 2017,- 2018?

for Sunday I am most in favor for anyone but kiss to headline, but the cards are rolled that way... 

hoping for ax7, qotsa, metallica

Edited by seant007

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Ghost 

Panic! at the Disco 

I don't see volbeat subbing for gnr, they've headlined Rock am Ring by now, I think the next time they play download they'll be a headliner.

I'd give that spot to alice in chains.

5 hours ago, seant007 said:

I don't see volbeat subbing for gnr, they've headlined Rock am Ring by now, I think the next time they play download they'll be a headliner.

I'd give that spot to alice in chains.

Volbeat are way bigger in mainland Europe. They won't be headlining Download any time soon.

7 hours ago, seant007 said:

Copping has already talked about 2 out the 3 headliners for next year a couple of months ago, due to the timing of his announcement, the possibility of him suggest Tool is much slimmer than queens or bmth. tool rocked donnington back in 2006 with gnr and 'tallica, so if they DO play this year, there will be no Metallica or gnr on the lineup because of it. That would be a copied lineup of 2006 at that point. Next year either tool, bring me, or ax7  would be possible recommendations for Andy to have released in that interview back then. Out of those three bands it seems sense ax7 have been waiting to bring "The Stage" to festival gigs, and to the fact that they missed out this year, they are the most regarded recommendation for Fridays headliner and the most possible for Andy to have put in for Friday. QOTSA due to their genre, a new album coming out, rising popularity/ fan base, and the fact of them only playing download ONCE before in their whole career, makes them the most likely candidate, I mean tool is more of a Friday band than anything, so if it's between them, Metallica, for qotsa to headline Saturday, it's probably not going to them. Sunday's headliner it's anyone's guess really at this point , I'd say ultimately out of anyone it would be kiss due to the 2013, 2014, 2015 trend happening again now in 2016, 2017,- 2018?

for Sunday I am most in favor for anyone but kiss to headline, but the cards are rolled that way... 

hoping for ax7, qotsa, metallica

They're not bothered about copying the 2006 headliners in 2018. They're one of the few festivals in the world that could get away with and would jump at the chance of repeating themselves from 10+ years prior. :lol:

And I don't think KISS will be back until they're about to retire. Maiden and Aerosmith were rebooked for good reason, whereas KISS are a poor seller at the best of times so it'd take the ultimate gimmick to get them back within a shout of playing.

Edited by dentalplan

3 hours ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

There's no way that Copping wouldn't book Guns N Roses, Metallica and Tool just because they had that lineup in 2006. That would be a mad lineup. Tool would sell more tickets than QOTSA anyway. 

They never repeat lineups, so it wont happen. period.

13 hours ago, dentalplan said:

They're not bothered about copying the 2006 headliners in 2018. They're one of the few festivals in the world that could get away with and would jump at the chance of repeating themselves from 10+ years prior. :lol:

And I don't think KISS will be back until they're about to retire. Maiden and Aerosmith were rebooked for good reason, whereas KISS are a poor seller at the best of times so it'd take the ultimate gimmick to get them back within a shout of playing.

I don't think you realize that they had the same possibility of gnr, metallica, and tool this year as a lineup, but one of the reasons andy rejected the notion was quote "I never want to make the same festival twice". 2006, nor any other year of download festival's history will be copied into another year's slot of headliners, EVERY single year of download is a ragtag unique mashup of bands from more than one year of download's history. It dosnt matter if this is the last download ever, there will not be the same lineup as 2006, take it from the guy who books the bands himself buddy, just saying ":lol:".

Edited by seant007
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, seant007 said:

I don't think you realize that they had the same possibility of gnr, metallica, and tool this year as a lineup, but one of the reasons andy rejected the notion was quote "I never want to make the same festival twice". 2006, nor any other year of download festival's history will be copied into another year's slot of headliners, EVERY single year of download is a ragtag unique mashup of bands from more than one year of download's history. It dosnt matter if this is the last download ever, there will not be the same lineup as 2006, take it from the guy who books the bands himself buddy, just saying ":lol:".

Never realised he said that but it doesn't make me believe him. Those headliners would be such a huge bunch and if booked, he'd then go the other way and say how long ago 2006 was and how he couldn't turn down any of those acts - and rightly so.

He's given reasons why he wouldn't book every one of this year's headliners since they last played and, lo and behold, the day they were announced he was on Twitter arguing with anyone who saw fault in the headliners.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Never realised he said that but it doesn't make me believe him. Those headliners would be such a huge bunch and if booked, he'd then go the other way and say how long ago 2006 was and how he couldn't turn down any of those acts - and rightly so.

He's given reasons why he wouldn't book every one of this year's headliners and lo and behold, the day they were announced he was on Twitter arguing with anyone who saw fault in the headliners.

He wont copy the lineup, this year it was a mashed up assortment of bands from different years in the past, and next year along with every other it will be the same, it's statistics of the way he operates as a booking agent.

40 minutes ago, seant007 said:

They never repeat lineups, so it wont happen. period.

They had 2 of 2013's in 2016 so i doubt he cares. And this would be 12 fucking years ago. And an incredibly strong trio, course he would.

17 minutes ago, seant007 said:

No they certainly fucking didn't. Metallica and Tool weren't touring Europe, and Guns are doing stadiums. Your'e so fucking naive if you don't think he'd book a trio from over 12 years which would sell a ridiculous amount of tickets. I'm not sure how you haven't quite realized this, but Andy chats shit, and you're a fool to believe him.

Edited by Steve1000
Also if what your sayings true (which it isn't) they could just have booked one of that years headliners rather than all three
  • Upvote 2