Download 2018

Hart Attack

5 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Why would Metallica, AC/DC or Guns N Roses agree to play a festival that hasn't run in 4 years instead of Download though? How would a festival that hasn't run in 4 years in the UK feasibly be able to offer a better deal to any of these bands? 

Because if 2 of them are touring, download may only be able to afford one of them, therefore soni sweeps in and claims the other

Edited by Steve1000
I don't think this will actually happen btw - just speculating and don't think it's impossible

On 6/26/2017 at 0:22 AM, Steve1000 said:

Classic rock has always been booked though, Kiss headlined 2 years ago, Aerosmith 3 times in 8 years etc. I agree heaviness is not necessary, hence why i suggested QOTSA, and I'd be very happy if Paramore were booked to headline. The trio I suggested is plenty varied. Classic rock infact has been done to death at Download, or at least the hair metal/ hard rock type anyway. Booking classic rock such as Pixies or Iggy Pop on the undercard would be great to see.

If they were smart, they should look at targeting disillusioned former Reading attendees who no longer want to attend. Bands like Pixies, Pearl Jam, Foos, QOTSA etc. would attract them, as well as smaller bands on the undercard, rather than the same names that get booked all the time. Copping can't keep relying on Maiden, Metallica, Aerosmith forever. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gary1979666 said:

Black Crow....is that you?

Are you saying this to me? Because when the fuck have I claimed to know information or have sources or anything? I was merely speculating which I'd say is the entire point of this thread in the early days

22 hours ago, Moey said:

Was it poorly attended? Seemed pretty busy for me, esp when queuing for beer!

I found the queues for bars/toilets to be huge, but I think this might have been down to the reusable cup situation, (& less toilets due to low sales) rather than attendance.

It did seem a lot quieter in general than last year!

On 6/28/2017 at 8:41 PM, Steve1000 said:

Because if 2 of them are touring, download may only be able to afford one of them, therefore soni sweeps in and claims the other

Download could definitely afford all 3 if they wanted to, they don't have any issues when it comes to money for booking headliners. If Guns N Roses and Metallica are available and can be persuaded to do Download, then Copping will book both of them. Download has had Guns N Roses, Metallica and Tool all play the same year before. 

9 hours ago, battleborn said:

Fine if they don't have any issues regarding money when it comes to headliners, let's fucking go for it.

Main

Friday The Prodigy and Pendulum

Saturday Iron Maiden and Metallica

Sunday AC/DC and Whitesnake

Other

Friday Green Day and Paramore

Saturday Blink182, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park

Sunday  Black Sabbath and Deep Purple

I don't understand this at all. You expecting all these bands in the same year?

9 minutes ago, battleborn said:

The poster above me said and I quote "Download don't have any issues when it comes to money for booking headliners". I just went with what they should book if that was truly the case (to make the point that they actually do have money issues to consider when booking headlines). - You might want to read my location bar.

even in this hypothetical situation its not right but okay

2 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Who would you book then?

Nah i meant you couldn't convince Green Day to headline second etc but I guess if you had infinite money then yeah? anyways if u like your hypothetical situations there's a dream lineup thread in the R+L forum so that's where mine/ others are 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

The (original) Smashing Pumpkins will be there. I'm sure of it. I just want it to happen so much. Bill them as very special guests. 

Have you heard anything or just a hunch? 

18 hours ago, battleborn said:

Fine if they don't have any issues regarding money when it comes to headliners, let's fucking go for it.

Main

Friday The Prodigy and Pendulum

Saturday Iron Maiden and Metallica

Sunday AC/DC and Whitesnake

Other

Friday Green Day and Paramore

Saturday Blink182, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park

Sunday  Black Sabbath and Deep Purple

I said that Download doesn't have issues regarding money when it comes to headliners. They could quite easily book both Guns N Roses and Metallica in the same year, they have done so before. Copping knows full well that if he books those two bands that ticket sales would be through the roof. Would some of the undercard suffer as a result? Possibly. But they could easily book Guns N Roses and Metallica next year if they could convince both to play. 

Edited by Pop Punk Sucks

That had nothing to do with Chase and Status subbing, they were a big deal at the time and they fit perfectly subbing under The Prodigy. You could make the argument against The Prodigy headlining, but you can only book what's available and Sonisphere was at least initially happening that year. If Sonisphere hadn't happened maybe they would've ended up with Kiss headlining instead of The Prodigy. They had Slash opposite so wasn't exactly a bad year or a write off of a day. 

They could book Guns N Roses, Metallica and The Prodigy for next year and that wouldn't exactly be a bad year, would it?

Not sure why you're listing 2012 as a lineup that was poor as it is the same lineup that had Soundgarden and Biffy Clyro subbing. Wasn't it Machine Head, Tenacious D and Megadeth playing 3rd down - not exactly cheaping out? 

On 6/30/2017 at 5:32 PM, Andre91 said:

The (original) Smashing Pumpkins will be there. I'm sure of it. I just want it to happen so much. Bill them as very special guests. 

Doubt Billy would take anything less than a headline slot with the original line-up. Could see them being booked for BST though, dream would be Smashing Pumpkins with Weezer as main support if they did.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, callum97 said:

Do we think Queens will do download over reading, I can see both festivals trying to book them, but they did do reading in '14

Download and Reading are under the same company so I don't think they'll receive competing offers from both. I do think the limited dates put on by Live Nation are to ramp up demand for one of the festivals and R+L being not so long ago suggests Download to me.

I agree about QOTSA/Metallica/A7X and I don't think that'll be knocked unless BMTH return or GNR do festivals, but I'm not predicting either.

edit: Just looking at Zegut's blog for the first time in a while and a couple of weeks ago he was on about Metallica at Download Paris (with question marks) and apparently the dude who runs Hellfest says there's no Metallica next year so it's a sure bet that Metallica are secured for the trio of Download events.

Edited by dentalplan