Download 2018

Hart Attack

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

HAIM at download?

Metallica will always be relevant at download, they could easily do next year and most likely will

I  get that they are an iconic band for download, I just don't see them fitting in the best for download next year.

just for this possibility, if Metallica play I think the headliners will be

Friday- Tool

Saturday- Metallica

Sunday- Kiss

But still I think they wont make it and this will be lineup:

Friday- Ax7

Saturday- Queens of the Stone age

Sunday- Bon jovi/ Kiss/ Guns n' Roses/ Foo Fighters

A- download looks for variety in acts, and the second set of headliners has more variety

B- If Metallica played, I'm sure ax7 wouldn't due to them being so similar in genre

8 minutes ago, seant007 said:

Friday- Tool

Saturday- Metallica

Sunday- Kiss

Friday- Ax7

A- download looks for variety in acts, and the second set of headliners has more variety

B- If Metallica played, I'm sure ax7 wouldn't due to them being so similar in genre

More likely the latter since they will probably want a more youthful set of headliners. Metallica aren't similar to avenged at all though, Metallica are thrash where as a7x are modern metal/ metalcore, the only similarities is they're both metal, in a predominately metal festival, where they often have trios of metal headliners, so that wouldn't be a problem

Edited by Steve1000
  • Downvote 1

More likely the latter since they will probably want a more youthful set of headliners. Metallica aren't similar to avenged at all though, Metallica are thrash where as a7x are more heavy metal/ metalcore, the only similarities is they're both metal, in a predominately metal festival, where they often have trios of metal headliners, so that wouldn't be a problem

I'm looking more to what happened this year with variety, yes they prefer younger headliners but I just think that Andy would like to get a band instead of Metallica to headline due to that band not being around in the future , like a more classic rock band such as kiss or gnr, they aren't exactly too old of bands to be playing, they're just more amped to be put on the lineup due to them not being around much longer, Metallica aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I think they will focus again more on variety  like they have every other year now.

its just a game of tumbling cards

I'm a huge fan of ax7 so I do know that they are modern metal, but they are still Metal, they share a lot more similarity with bands like Metallica, and iron maiden, than bands like bmth, which are actual  full on metalcore. Avenged do have thrash in their sound, which makes them a heavy metal band, just like Metallica.

37 minutes ago, seant007 said:

I'm looking more to what happened this year with variety, yes they prefer younger headliners but I just think that Andy would like to get a band instead of Metallica to headline due to that band not being around in the future , like a more classic rock band such as kiss or gnr, they aren't exactly too old of bands to be playing, they're just more amped to be put on the lineup due to them not being around much longer, Metallica aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I think they will focus again more on variety  like they have every other year now.

its just a game of tumbling cards

I don't understand what you mean with variety when your suggesting booking Kiss (especially after only 3 years) and Guns. That would not be varied at all, infact it would be quite the opposite, and you say what happened this year; the varied part of this years headliners was Biffy, yet your saying he shouldn't book younger headliners and should stick to classic rock? Anyways I'm sure the ticket sales gained from booking the 'licca would outweigh Copping's desire to get a band who may shortly retire. and with regards to Guns, I'm sure Copping wants them, its whether he can actually get them. Also its clear that he not only wants, but needs headliners, so booking a trio of Tool, Metallica and Kiss would be a terrible decision and hinder all the progress made this year when it comes to making download as child friendly as possible.

Edited by Steve1000
Shit think I've confused myself completely so my point doesnt make sense/

I don't understand what you mean with variety when your suggesting booking Kiss (especially after only 3 years) and Guns. That would not be varied at all, infact it would be quite the opposite, and you say what happened this year; the varied part of this years headliners was Biffy, yet your saying he shouldn't book younger headliners and should stick to classic rock? Anyways I'm sure the ticket sales gained from booking the 'licca would outweigh Copping's desire to get a band who may shortly retire. and with regards to Guns, I'm sure Copping wants them, its whether he can actually get them. Also its clear that he not only wants, but needs headliners, so booking a trio of Tool, Metallica and Kiss would be a terrible decision and hinder all the progress made this year when it comes to making download as child friendly as possible.

You must understand that heaviness is not a necessity for download, it's just one of the goals to get out of the weekend. As of 2017/2018 download festival has been very keen of getting bands that appeal to everyone's fancy pretty much. a year with ax7, Metallica, and qosta would be an awesome lineup I know, it's just not likely. Classic Rock is a must have forthcoming at this point for download, before these bands disappear.

Edited by seant007
your point does make sense i get what you mean

8 minutes ago, seant007 said:

You must understand that heaviness is not a necessity for download, it's just one of the goals to get out of the weekend. As of 2017/2018 download festival has been very keen of getting bands that appeal to everyone's fancy pretty much. a year with ax7, Metallica, and qosta would be an awesome lineup I know, it's just not likely. Classic Rock is a must have forthcoming at this point for download, before these bands disappear.

Classic rock has always been booked though, Kiss headlined 2 years ago, Aerosmith 3 times in 8 years etc. I agree heaviness is not necessary, hence why i suggested QOTSA, and I'd be very happy if Paramore were booked to headline. The trio I suggested is plenty varied. Classic rock infact has been done to death at Download, or at least the hair metal/ hard rock type anyway. Booking classic rock such as Pixies or Iggy Pop on the undercard would be great to see.

Edited by Steve1000

Classic rock has always been booked though, Kiss headlined 2 years ago, Aerosmith 3 times in 8 years etc. I agree heaviness is not necessary, hence why i suggested QOTSA, and I'd be very happy if Paramore were booked to headline. The trio I suggested is plenty varied. Classic rock infact has been done to death at Download, or at least the hair metal/ hard rock type anyway. Booking classic rock such as Pixies or Iggy Pop on the undercard would be great to see.

I feel the same actually about the whole thing about classic rock. I'm just not sure if Andy is keen to getting bands like pixies to play.

if you look at where things are at now we might just have to suck up the last bit of classic before it goes.

tbh I didn't like how even Aerosmith played this year, but all around it deals with Mr. Copping deciding bands that he feels are right to play, and a good deal of these bands are still classic rock, no matter what other people think of them playing at this point.

and I mentioned kiss ONLY because of download 2008 NOT because I want them to headline

I'm dealing with statistics

18 hours ago, seant007 said:

Friday- Tool

Saturday- Metallica

Sunday- Kiss

Friday- Ax7

FF will not be at Download

11 hours ago, SOS for JOJ said:

Anthrax, Bring me the horizon, Ghost, Arch enemy, While she sleeps, Stone Sour, Papa roach, Lamb of god and Beartooth. Some band who i think are likely to play. ESPECIALLY: 

Stone sour

BMTH

Anthrax 

stone sour and papa have no reason not to

55 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

There's no way anyone at Sonisphere is thick enough to look at the numbers that Download did this year and think "oh yeah, what the UK festival market needs next summer is two big heavy music festivals"

That's without Metallica or Guns

If Metallica are an option next year I can't see Copping turning them down. They will always get a huge crowd and it's what 7 years since they last played??

after watching ff at Glastonbury (on the telly) I think they would be great but probably more suited to reading.

woild love to see jovi there, but not sure it will happen.

just a horrible thought, but isn't it the anniversary of hysteria for def leppard?? 

12 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

No guarantee that either of those bands will want to play a UK festival (Download) next summer. There simply isn't the market or the bands for both Download and Soni to run in the same year anymore. 

Bands wise there is. Was thinking about this earlier, soni could easily have run this year with linkin park, chillis and rammstein headlining. Could think of plenty acts on the undercard aswell but cba listing them

Since 2012, Sonisphere have failed to produce a suitable lineup in 5 of the 6 festival summers - the only time they managed to run it was when they could book Metallica. The last time it ran before then was also when they booked Metallica. They haven't ran a Sonisphere without Metallica since 2010. 

Just because there were a couple of headliners and undercard acts around that weren't booked this summer doesn't mean that Sonisphere could have put on a viable lineup, especially in a year that was one of Download's weakest attended for many years, even though they had the likes of System of A Down, Aerosmith, Biffy, Slayer, Rob Zombie, Alter Bridge, A Day To Remember, Prophets of Rage, Steel Panther, Five Finger Death Punch and Sum 41 all playing in decent slots.

Edited by Pop Punk Sucks

34 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Since 2012, Sonisphere have failed to produce a suitable lineup in 5 of the 6 festival summers - the only time they managed to run it was when they could book Metallica. The last time it ran before then was also when they booked Metallica. They haven't ran a Sonisphere without Metallica since 2010. 

Just because there were a couple of headliners and undercard acts around that weren't booked this summer doesn't mean that Sonisphere could have put on a viable lineup, especially in a year that was one of Download's weakest attended for many years, even though they had the likes of System of A Down, Aerosmith, Biffy, Slayer, Rob Zombie, Alter Bridge, A Day To Remember, Prophets of Rage, Steel Panther, Five Finger Death Punch and Sum 41 all playing in decent slots.

My original prediction was entirely based on sonisphere having Metallica, all I'm saying there is the bands certainly are there, fair enough the market isn't so I don't expect soni without Metallica or maybe Guns or AC/DC. Download this year had the weakest set of headliners in a while, its no surprise it sold poorly

1 hour ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Was it poorly attended? Seemed pretty busy for me, esp when queuing for beer!