Download 2018

Hart Attack

Avenged were arguably a weak headliner in 2014 but I would say in 2018 they will be relatively strong. They've done multiple arena tours and the latest sold quickly + well. I know they had big support but not many bands can pull off multiple dates at the 02. Plus its not like there are many modern metal bands who have grown into legitimate headliners.

8 minutes ago, SOAD said:

Avenged were arguably a weak headliner in 2014 but I would say in 2018 they will be relatively strong. They've done multiple arena tours and the latest sold quickly + well. I know they had big support but not many bands can pull off multiple dates at the 02. Plus its not like there are many modern metal bands who have grown into legitimate headliners.

Did it, all I remember hearing was apart from the 1st 02 show that there is loads of tickets left.

Imagine if they could pull in Metallica, LP and GNR and it ends up being those 1st two and A7X? I say I can't see it being A7X but looking at this I won't be shocked tbh.

• Downvote 1

I've never seen Nottingham Arena as full as it was for Avenged, both standing and in seating (where I was). They played for two hours and still left out several bangers. They're as much of a Download headliner as anyone else at this stage. There's absolutely no reason why Download wouldn't go for them if they were available. Plus, Shadows said they are coming back next summer and DL is the natural fit. 

On 2/12/2017 at 11:16 PM, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

It being a more Reading like line up is more likely in the coming years as the Reading line up becomes less like a reading line up. 

I don't really come in here that much anymore as im not going Download this year and don't tend to bother to read or comment on fests im not going to but thought id just stick my head in here today as I saw it from menu.

Anyway, I quoted this post because I've been saying it for years and its true, Copping is going for the younger market, he's slowly changing the fest, the older crowd they are targeting less, the fest will become more like Reading WAS, Reading will become more like V WAS, and V is just a pop dance fest. The fact that they are all under the same company now compared to years ago, the fact there's less competition of major festivals, the fact that they have monopolised the market completely, they are giving each festival its own identity and the classic rock identity is out. Copping doesn't have the be all and say all that you may think he does anymore, Live Nation have a plan and he has to abide by that, they have a booking committee, they have a team, its not a one man Copping show anymore. 

Weezer might not have been high up on the list past as Copping didn't value them the way Reading valued them, the way Soni valued them as a sub at the time, Weezer would easily get a top spot at Download these days but it would be down to touring schedules and which festival would benefit the most from having them on the bill. Not because Download doesn't want them, sometimes things just don't fall into place.

Paramore would 100% be booked as headliner. 100%. I know this for a fact. Just because they haven't appeared at the festival for a long time doesn't mean they weren't ever going to, sometimes things change, Paramore are totally into appearing at Download and Download want them. Just because you haven't seen it yet. It should have happened, but it didn't and thats all im saying on that. 

The Biffy aren't a Download headliner is the biggest load of shit i've ever seen on here, they've played Download numerous times, they were ALWAYS lined up to headline ever since Soni gave them the chance, Reading have had them twice, and he got people used to the fact they would be headliner next appearance when they subbed Metallica in 2012. Download is a rock festival, Biffy fall under that bracket. Download is not a metal festival, they HATE being pidgeon holed into that. The thing is, in the past Download may have looked a Metal festival, but its not and its not wanted to be that a long time, hence the Muse booking a few years ago too. This is a festival who wants Royal Blood as a headliner down the road too, they want Foo Fighters. They want it to be as accessible to as many people as possible.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Did it, all I remember hearing was apart from the 1st 02 show that there is loads of tickets left.

Imagine if they could pull in Metallica, LP and GNR and it ends up being those 1st two and A7X? I say I can't see it being A7X but looking at this I won't be shocked tbh.

Anytime A7X approach Download and say we are available to headline next summer, Download will book them, they pushed them to headliner, they will be retained in that spot, they need younger bands in headline slots who they can say are established headliners, A7X are there now, they're established at Download in the punters eyes as headliners. They're cheaper, much cheaper than a GNR, they are viewed at by Download on a par with Slipknot now and I tell ya, Slipknot won't be around as long as the Metallicas, Black Sabbaths, Iron Maidens etc were. Because you think Corey is going to be screaming those songs for 40 years. No chance. 

Download NEED A7X, there's more in it for them growing and establishing A7X than booking Linkin Park again. They've peaked [LP], they aren't going to grow, Download did wonderful things in the UK growing Slipknot and making them a bonafide huge act. they aim to do it with A7X and keep those ties so every album cycle they have a big headliner to book for years to come, A7X are going to be a band who are in it for the long term. They are a band who there's massive room for growth with. The same as they see in ADTR, momentum is there at the moment. FFDP they've been trying to ride that wave too, but they just don't seem to be able to grow as strong in UK as in US. Don't forget this is LIVE NATION, a worldwide company, its not just Download festival, its a worldwide business strategy. Without music artists Live Nation have nothing to sell, they're all about growing relationships with bands as they grow its just good business sense. Think of it as a farmer, growing crops, you have to reseed or come next summer theres nothing, if you only book the big acts without growing the next lot, sooner or later the big acts are gone and you have nothing.

Of course this being said Metallica would be booked next summer because its been 6 years and they do incredible sales.

GNR would be a massive ticket seller BUT it would have to be decided if Download needed it, because if they had Metallica, A7X and someone else instead of GNR who would give them 90k ticket sales would the outlay fee on GNR be worth it against the potential increased income they would bring. 

Download doesn't need GNR to survive, but they need to grow the next batch of headliners and establish them or they won't survive.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, luckysalt said:

I don't really come in here that much anymore as im not going Download this year and don't tend to bother to read or comment on fests im not going to but thought id just stick my head in here today as I saw it from menu.

Anyway, I quoted this post because I've been saying it for years and its true, Copping is going for the younger market, he's slowly changing the fest, the older crowd they are targeting less, the fest will become more like Reading WAS, Reading will become more like V WAS, and V is just a pop dance fest. The fact that they are all under the same company now compared to years ago, the fact there's less competition of major festivals, the fact that they have monopolised the market completely, they are giving each festival its own identity and the classic rock identity is out. Copping doesn't have the be all and say all that you may think he does anymore, Live Nation have a plan and he has to abide by that, they have a booking committee, they have a team, its not a one man Copping show anymore. 

Weezer might not have been high up on the list past as Copping didn't value them the way Reading valued them, the way Soni valued them as a sub at the time, Weezer would easily get a top spot at Download these days but it would be down to touring schedules and which festival would benefit the most from having them on the bill. Not because Download doesn't want them, sometimes things just don't fall into place.

Paramore would 100% be booked as headliner. 100%. I know this for a fact. Just because they haven't appeared at the festival for a long time doesn't mean they weren't ever going to, sometimes things change, Paramore are totally into appearing at Download and Download want them. Just because you haven't seen it yet. It should have happened, but it didn't and thats all im saying on that. 

The Biffy aren't a Download headliner is the biggest load of shit i've ever seen on here, they've played Download numerous times, they were ALWAYS lined up to headline ever since Soni gave them the chance, Reading have had them twice, and he got people used to the fact they would be headliner next appearance when they subbed Metallica in 2012. Download is a rock festival, Biffy fall under that bracket. Download is not a metal festival, they HATE being pidgeon holed into that. The thing is, in the past Download may have looked a Metal festival, but its not and its not wanted to be that a long time, hence the Muse booking a few years ago too. This is a festival who wants Royal Blood as a headliner down the road too, they want Foo Fighters. They want it to be as accessible to as many people as possible.

On the Weezer part, because they very rarely tour is the reason I think if they do tour a big UK fest then it'll be Reading. I don't disagree Paramore would get booked, although I do think they need to do it on a never album that sounded pre self titled. What I said and I don't see is a top 3 of them, Weezer and Shikari, I don't envisage that at all at Download happening but that's my view.

Biffy I disagree with, they played numerous times, mostly earlier years lower down when they produced heavier stuff and even if the metal label is wrong for Download which is debatable as for many years it was very much a metal fest with an insert more towards rock....a lot of festivals have that element, but when they subbed it was still off of a much heavier album than they just produced. For me, it's similar to Paramore on the last album, I think it's just the wrong album to do it off, their sub slot was also not the greatest to be honest but luckily follow Tenacious D which was also quite shite....whoever saw it at Reading in 08 probably understands this more so. This show was also slated by Copping himself and the band didn't look comfortable doing that slot on heavier stuff. They have waited a long time since the Soni headline set to do though have they not? Royal Blood I can see, they have heavy riffs etc and until future stuff it's too early to even put that option down and FF goes without saying. The difference for me also here is though that RB can get to the top by continuing a heavier starting sound, the same as FF has had a lot of, but Biffy never made it to the top without going very mainstream to the norm and at Reading which obviously has lighter stuff and Soni which had a mix it's not so bad but Download I think is a different case, especially given how light this album is.

1 hour ago, luckysalt said:

Anytime A7X approach Download and say we are available to headline next summer, Download will book them, they pushed them to headliner, they will be retained in that spot, they need younger bands in headline slots who they can say are established headliners, A7X are there now, they're established at Download in the punters eyes as headliners. They're cheaper, much cheaper than a GNR, they are viewed at by Download on a par with Slipknot now and I tell ya, Slipknot won't be around as long as the Metallicas, Black Sabbaths, Iron Maidens etc were. Because you think Corey is going to be screaming those songs for 40 years. No chance. 

Download NEED A7X, there's more in it for them growing and establishing A7X than booking Linkin Park again. They've peaked [LP], they aren't going to grow, Download did wonderful things in the UK growing Slipknot and making them a bonafide huge act. they aim to do it with A7X and keep those ties so every album cycle they have a big headliner to book for years to come, A7X are going to be a band who are in it for the long term. They are a band who there's massive room for growth with. The same as they see in ADTR, momentum is there at the moment. FFDP they've been trying to ride that wave too, but they just don't seem to be able to grow as strong in UK as in US. Don't forget this is LIVE NATION, a worldwide company, its not just Download festival, its a worldwide business strategy. Without music artists Live Nation have nothing to sell, they're all about growing relationships with bands as they grow its just good business sense. Think of it as a farmer, growing crops, you have to reseed or come next summer theres nothing, if you only book the big acts without growing the next lot, sooner or later the big acts are gone and you have nothing.

Of course this being said Metallica would be booked next summer because its been 6 years and they do incredible sales.

GNR would be a massive ticket seller BUT it would have to be decided if Download needed it, because if they had Metallica, A7X and someone else instead of GNR who would give them 90k ticket sales would the outlay fee on GNR be worth it against the potential increased income they would bring. 

Download doesn't need GNR to survive, but they need to grow the next batch of headliners and establish them or they won't survive.

I do agree with a lot of that to be fair. I'll take your point on A7X and your word for it and I also agree with your view on Corey, it's similar to Chester a bit that he can't scream forever. I don't disagree with you that Slipknot are a bonafide headliner. I also agree that LP have comfortably peaked ages ago but I've no doubt that he'd book them again next year without an issue.

I think Download would have to sell closer to 100k to make it worth their while but I don't think we can kid ourselves that if GNR turn around, say yes and accept to play Download next year then Copping is making that happen. I do think however that after doing two big stadium dates this year he'd push for exclusive heavily and I don't see much stopping them really unless BST offer again as long as they let them play a few arena shows as well. They didn't do Scotland this year so I can't see them bothering next year.

If Download need to grow a next set of headliners etc, why have they supposedly took BMTH off the top spot for the fest two years running?, last year it's very hard to see how that didn't happen given their summer dates. It's okay saying they need to do this but on every opportunity he's still booking the old boys every time....not getting Maiden for example if that's the one you say no to doesn't suddenly make Sonisphere run again and even if they did a day event it's not going to run over Download weekend as that would be shooting yourself int he foot so you can go to both.

Royal Blood can get to headliner status by continuing a heavier sound but Biffy aren't heavy? :lol: Wolves of Winter, Herex, On A Bang and In The Name Of The Wee Man are all heavier than Royal Blood, and they're from Biffy's latest album. 

I don't know where some people get this idea from that Biffy used to be this really heavy band, because they didn't. They've had their moments, for sure. Just like they've also had their softer moments. They are a perfect fit for Download. People also need to stop holding 2012 against them, too. Since then they've headlined R&L twice, TITP and IOW all to huge acclaim. Headlining Download isn't going to phase them in the slightest. 

They will play a normal Biffy set with a couple of tokens thrown in like Jaggy Snake, Glitter and Trauma and maybe something like Semi-Mental. And it will be GLORIOUS. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Royal Blood can get to headliner status by continuing a heavier sound but Biffy aren't heavy? :lol: Wolves of Winter, Herex, On A Bang and In The Name Of The Wee Man are all heavier than Royal Blood, and they're from Biffy's latest album. 

I don't know where some people get this idea from that Biffy used to be this really heavy band, because they didn't. They've had their moments, for sure. Just like they've also had their softer moments. They are a perfect fit for Download. People also need to stop holding 2012 against them, too. Since then they've headlined R&L twice, TITP and IOW all to huge acclaim. Headlining Download isn't going to phase them in the slightest. 

They will play a normal Biffy set with a couple of tokens thrown in like Jaggy Snake, Glitter and Trauma and maybe something like Semi-Mental. And it will be GLORIOUS. 

Yes because RB started at that and have got big straight from it. Biffy started at that and got big from going more mainstream....not an issue for me as I think Puzzle is their best album but that's not what this is about.

You are forgetting Infinity Land, Blackened Sky and The Vertigo of Bliss all being heavier.....along comes Puzzle which started their more mainstream climb up lineups as they would have got nowhere close to where they are without changing.

16 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yes because RB started at that and have got big straight from it. Biffy started at that and got big from going more mainstream....not an issue for me as I think Puzzle is their best album but that's not what this is about.

You are forgetting Infinity Land, Blackened Sky and The Vertigo of Bliss all being heavier.....along comes Puzzle which started their more mainstream climb up lineups as they would have got nowhere close to where they are without changing.

Royal Blood are as mainstream as mainstream can be :lol: 

And trust me, I'm not forgetting those albums. They're my third favourite band ever. 

Edited by Andre91

On 11/02/2017 at 2:21 PM, dentalplan said:

Assumed it was out before the summer and that was why they're back. I just reckon it might be a bit odd seeing as they used to jump at the chance to book Linkin Park but instead booked a new headliner in Biffy. 

Its coming out in may

On 11/02/2017 at 3:26 PM, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Perhaps even Copping has realised Linkin Park are a bit of a stale choice at this point. I'm sure he'd argue once a new album is out they're fair game though. 

If the rest of the album is anything like the new single then Copping heard it and decided they could not possibly book linkin park on this album. 

5 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

Its coming out in may

If the rest of the album is anything like the new single then Copping heard it and decided they could not possibly book linkin park on this album. 

I doubt it, he's said he would book Paramore and their last album was very poppy. Next year I think after its been out and got exposure etc.

That's true but if he's willing to book twenty one pilots he'd have to give them a fairly high position, if he's willing to do that I don't see why he wouldn't book Linkin Park. I don't think they'd be his first choice though and if this album helps them become even less appealing to him, then that's on every positive of this album. 

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The fourth part of Metallica's European tour goes until mid-May. I suppose the fifth part will be Download and stuff a few weeks later. Announcing a European tour over eight months is a bit of a mad one.

I think Metallica were always going to be a given with them not playing any festivals in 2016/17. With tour prices very high this will make a lot of punters that miss their upcoming dates consider Download. I would expect another big act and a newer one for the DL18 headliners, no idea who will be about next year though.

Yeah as long as Soni doesn't rear its head then it's an easy one for Download. Avenged Sevenfold's appearance is written in ink too. Just the other 'newer' one I reckon will be debated for the long haul - probably until it turns out we're wrong on one of those. :lol:

Hopefully Queens, but BMTH, Paramore and Fall Out Boy strike me as stronger possibilities.