Camping/Wagon

Queen

Questions

1. What is considered "too late" to arrive on Wednesday to set up camp? I don't know where I'm camping yet. I may be behind one of the areas where I'll be speaking, but I don't know yet. Are there public places to pitch tent or do I have to purchase a separate ticket to pitch my own tent somewhere? I don't see any pre-pitched areas available right now. I'll be by myself.

2. How do these work in the muddy conditions? Should I leave at home and just pack it in on my old body...because I'm coming by coach? Easygowagon

http://easygowagon.com/

there's no "too late" to set up camp,  but people arrive early to choose their preferred places.  if you arrive on thursday or friday, there will still be plenty of space, but farther from the centre of action.  Youll be doing a lot of walking over the weekend, so it doesnt make much odds.  As for your trolley, I dont reckon you'd make it from the carpark to the gates before the wheel hubs break.  get yourself something with pneumatic wheels, check the nuts are tight, and bring a spanner and spare nuts and bolts.

HTH

1 hour ago, Queen said:

Questions

1. What is considered "too late" to arrive on Wednesday to set up camp? I don't know where I'm camping yet. I may be behind one of the areas where I'll be speaking, but I don't know yet. Are there public places to pitch tent or do I have to purchase a separate ticket to pitch my own tent somewhere? I don't see any pre-pitched areas available right now. I'll be by myself.

2. How do these work in the muddy conditions? Should I leave at home and just pack it in on my old body...because I'm coming by coach? Easygowagon

http://easygowagon.com/

Funky's right, there's loads of space whenever you arrive, but you won't get in the most popular fields, which by their nature are more central. You don't need a separate camping ticket, and camping areas are clearly defined.  If you are camping behind the scenes because you're performing, you will get details of this separately, but it will all be access controlled so if you've not got the right wristband you won't be allowed in.

As you will be by yourself (you're from America, yes?) you might want to search on here for Camp Solo - apparently really friendly.  That said, wherever you pitch, say hi to your neighbours and you'll soon find some friends! 

I would say no to that trolley too - better to pack lighter on your back rather than risk it breaking.  As you arrive on coach, you will get dropped at Gate A which makes it a bit easier for access but depending on where you camp you could still be walking for nearly an hour with your stuff on your back. 

Have you read Tort's Guide yet?  Search for it on here.... it is an absolute mine of information especially for the first timer.  Don't try to compare it to other festivals - you'll miss by a mile!!

Have fun xx

Thanks ya'll. Very helpful. I wouldn't write off that wagon so quickly, it has transported my kid over moors, through forests, festivals like the Oregon Country Fair, and everywhere. It's steel and not made like a granny cart However, I'm guessing the mud might be too deep in spots if it is raining. Thanks for pointing me to Tort's Guide. Is there any way to reach him on here? I have a comment about something written there. :)

Make use of the lock ups too, they'll keep anything and everything safe for you, from passports, drink, trolleys etc. They're run by charities and are free - having said that, they accept donations and I'd encourage anybody using them to donate some cash.

11 hours ago, Queen said:

Thanks ya'll. Very helpful. I wouldn't write off that wagon so quickly, it has transported my kid over moors, through forests, festivals like the Oregon Country Fair, and everywhere. It's steel and not made like a granny cart However, I'm guessing the mud might be too deep in spots if it is raining. Thanks for pointing me to Tort's Guide. Is there any way to reach him on here? I have a comment about something written there. :)

I think Mr pie may have a point...... The wheels on your wagon look like they spin and at Glastonbury if there's the tiniest bit of R then they may buckle.. 

You would be better with one of these.. Is there no way of you getting one of these... Maybe ordering one and picking it up when you get over here... Just trying to help but you REALLY don't want to with out a trolley if you have loads of stuff 

images (5).jpg

a246d108b54e9b7ae6ced44be1e8a0d5.jpg

At the Oregon Festival I work for they rent these free: You give your ID in return for cart rental and get ID back upon return: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/60/164727151_a2f749f5fe_z.jpg?zz=1 Is there nothing like this at Glastonbury for rent?

https://whereintheworldislauren.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/img_1159.jpg?w=279&h=373

Edited by Queen

I've not seen anything like that at Glastonbury, though have at other festivals.  In 2010 there were some guys on bikes pulling trolley loads of other peoples' stuff behind them but I haven't seen them since and it wouldn't work on a muddy year even if they were there.