ice,ice,maybe?

glastolover19

Any suggestions on how to make ice last longer? I'll be camping and obviously know ice alone won't last the 5days so looking for ideas on how to keep the coolness as long as poss. I've heard freezing salt water causes ice to last longer so will be experimenting with that soon just seeing if anyone has any tried and trusted method. Much love

I got a large polystyrene packing box (for perishable goods transport). Walls about 2-3 cm thick. Froze everything (food, drinks, milk etc). Milk was still partly frozen Monday morning. Dont open box unnecessarily and it works a treat. 

Bit like these ones. This wasn't the company I actually used so have a look around and see what you can find but you get the idea.  I don't actually know who made one I used as I got it second hand. 

http://www.jbpackaging.co.uk/polystyrene-boxes/6kg-standard-brx.html

Nice thread title btw!

Edited by semmtexx

1 hour ago, semmtexx said:

I got a large polystyrene packing box (for perishable goods transport). Walls about 2-3 cm thick. Froze everything (food, drinks, milk etc). Milk was still partly frozen Monday morning. Dont open box unnecessarily and it works a treat. 

Bit like these ones. This wasn't the company I actually used so have a look around and see what you can find but you get the idea.  I don't actually know who made one I used as I got it second hand. 

http://www.jbpackaging.co.uk/polystyrene-boxes/6kg-standard-brx.html

Nice thread title btw!

Excellent suggestion although I feel stupid not thinking of it first considering they ship fish and stuff in those boxes. Going to order one now and have bit of test. Was thinking freeze layer of water in bottom about 3-4ins then just pack rest with ice. Cheers matey

1 minute ago, glastolover19 said:

Excellent suggestion although I feel stupid not thinking of it first considering they ship fish and stuff in those boxes. Going to order one now and have bit of test. Was thinking freeze layer of water in bottom about 3-4ins then just pack rest with ice. Cheers matey

Hello glastolover19,

I'd say that those polystyrene boxes are good and possibly equal to something like the Coleman Extreme that I have which has a 66 litre capacity. I suspect that they are pretty much the same but that one has a hard plastic cover that can take the knocks. In any case, how many of you are going ie. how large a container will you need, is anybody available to bring that container on site as their only item to take in etc? I say this because if you need to feed a fair few with ice then it would be best to freeze sheets of ice and then put them in to the container just before setting off. Otherwise with just one sheet of ice covered with ice cubes you'll be transporting a lot of air in that container rather than ice. If you virtually fill the container with ice then you can chip away at the ice with a suitable instrument to knock chunks off as and when required. I would also pre-chill the container on the inside with an ice pack or two so that it's at it's maximum lowest temperature when putting your ice in on the day of travel. Note though that a virtually solid block of ice is going to weigh an awful amount, but not so tricky of you have a stack truck or similar with which to transport it. 

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick II said:

Hello glastolover19,

I'd say that those polystyrene boxes are good and possibly equal to something like the Coleman Extreme that I have which has a 66 litre capacity. I suspect that they are pretty much the same but that one has a hard plastic cover that can take the knocks. In any case, how many of you are going ie. how large a container will you need, is anybody available to bring that container on site as their only item to take in etc? I say this because if you need to feed a fair few with ice then it would be best to freeze sheets of ice and then put them in to the container just before setting off. Otherwise with just one sheet of ice covered with ice cubes you'll be transporting a lot of air in that container rather than ice. If you virtually fill the container with ice then you can chip away at the ice with a suitable instrument to knock chunks off as and when required. I would also pre-chill the container on the inside with an ice pack or two so that it's at it's maximum lowest temperature when putting your ice in on the day of travel. Note though that a virtually solid block of ice is going to weigh an awful amount, but not so tricky of you have a stack truck or similar with which to transport it. 

Another excellent point and did also consider the possibility of it getting bashed up so am considering the solid box option. I'm traveling in solo and ice box would only really be used as fridge instead of ice for drinks. So was thinking freeze the food/drink before hand,freeze layer in base then put food etc in then pack it with mix of ice cubes and crushed ice to hopefully fill as much air space as possible,fortunately I'm about 20miles from site so will leave in freezer till last min. Just want something that will allow me a cold drink come Saturday/Sunday. As for carrying will def be sack truck job,treated myself to one for first time this year and gonna get my monies worth lol

1 hour ago, glastolover19 said:

Another excellent point and did also consider the possibility of it getting bashed up so am considering the solid box option. I'm traveling in solo and ice box would only really be used as fridge instead of ice for drinks. So was thinking freeze the food/drink before hand,freeze layer in base then put food etc in then pack it with mix of ice cubes and crushed ice to hopefully fill as much air space as possible,fortunately I'm about 20miles from site so will leave in freezer till last min. Just want something that will allow me a cold drink come Saturday/Sunday. As for carrying will def be sack truck job,treated myself to one for first time this year and gonna get my monies worth lol

The solid box option is a good idea if you are going to use it for a fair amount of times (we've used ours loads of times - festivals, parties etc). If you are only going to the one festival then maybe get a free / cheap polystyrene box from a fish monger or frozen goods retailer and then just box it in with cheap plywood to stop it getting broken in transit to your camp site. Just a thought.

If you do go for a solid Coleman type box then it might be worth looking on ebay for one locally to you as you might get it for a fraction of the price to buy it new. Good luck. :)

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick II said:

The solid box option is a good idea if you are going to use it for a fair amount of times (we've used ours loads of times - festivals, parties etc). If you are only going to the one festival then maybe get a free / cheap polystyrene box from a fish monger or frozen goods retailer and then just box it in with cheap plywood to stop it getting broken in transit to your camp site. Just a thought.

If you do go for a solid Coleman type box then it might be worth looking on ebay for one locally to you as you might get it for a fraction of the price to buy it new. Good luck. :)

Thanks for more good ideas,I did think to make wooden casing for it,tbh it will all hinge on what weather decides to do come June,if too wet/boggy then just won't bother. I have got cool box but was looking at the cheap option as don't want wife to have excuse to moan about breaking something else at that "bloody glastonbury" her words.

1 hour ago, merago said:

Someone (can't remember who now) recently mentioned getting their hands on dry ice for their cool box in one of the threads and reported it worked great.

I have consider dry ice and have read it works well however the draw back being mainly the cost and also the special container needed to store,also not too keen on idea of anything that could be dangerous,especially after a few cheeky ciders ;)

2 hours ago, merago said:

Someone (can't remember who now) recently mentioned getting their hands on dry ice for their cool box in one of the threads and reported it worked great.

I've used dry ice before. Only problem is it's too bloody cold! Everything freezes!!

The polystyrene boxes I actually used were for transporting tissues samples and they came packed in dry ice. It lasts days and days. 

I'd planed on putting dry ice in for the glasto trip but didn't end up getting any. Didn't seem to matter. 

I agree with Yog. You could make a quick ply box to protect the polystyrene. I wrapped all the corners of mine with gaffer tape and then some sticky backed film. Worked ok, so long as you're reasonably careful. 

I have a spare - if you're in North London pm me and you can have it. It's a bit messy as it's been out the back but it'll do the job. 

Edited by semmtexx

16 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

I agree with Yog. You could make a quick ply box to protect the polystyrene. I wrapped all the corners of mine with gaffer tape and then some sticky backed film. Worked ok, so long as you're reasonably careful. 

I have a spare - if you're in North London pm me and you can have it. It's a bit messy as it's been out the back but it'll do the job. 

Cheers for offer kind sir unfortunately I'm in Somerset but was very kind of you to offer. Was thinking to strap it with gaffer tape then just box around with 2-3mm ply to make rudimentary armour. Going to do few tests over next few months and hopefully figure out what's best. It's really just a luxury and if doesn't pan out then so be 

36 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

Cheers for offer kind sir unfortunately I'm in Somerset but was very kind of you to offer. Was thinking to strap it with gaffer tape then just box around with 2-3mm ply to make rudimentary armour. Going to do few tests over next few months and hopefully figure out what's best. It's really just a luxury and if doesn't pan out then so be 

No worries!

I've just looked up what the make was that I used. Therapak. They have a website. They are a bit more chunky than some, wall thickness is about 4 - 7 cm depending on what size. Maybe they'll send you a one off if you call and ask?? Might avoid the ply box bit?

Another thought. If you wrap a few layers of cardboard under the ply that would both protect and insulate further? 

Anyhow - Good luck! 

8 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

No worries!

I've just looked up what the make was that I used. Therapak. They have a website. They are a bit more chunky than some, wall thickness is about 4 - 7 cm depending on what size. Maybe they'll send you a one off if you call and ask?? Might avoid the ply box bit?

Another thought. If you wrap a few layers of cardboard under the ply that would both protect and insulate further? 

Anyhow - Good luck! 

Cheers matey,a pal who works in shipping recommended that make so will def check out. Have lots of off cuts of thin ply so was just going to run brace around 4sides and just tape,nothing heavy duty just enough that if there's any accidents it should survive. Many thanks for ideas and will keep posted of progress and if works then hit me up for a cold one :)

2 hours ago, glastolover19 said:

Cheers matey,a pal who works in shipping recommended that make so will def check out. Have lots of off cuts of thin ply so was just going to run brace around 4sides and just tape,nothing heavy duty just enough that if there's any accidents it should survive. Many thanks for ideas and will keep posted of progress and if works then hit me up for a cold one :)

Yes indeed! I love that idea! See you at the festi my friend!

:D