Godiva Festival 2017

thetime

19 minutes ago, Callum_96 said:

I was thinking along the lines of Franz Ferdinand or Primal Scream....

I imagine Franz Ferdinand would be to expensive and big,  they are getting good placings at the likes of Kendal and victorious.

Might be a good shout with primal scream.

11 minutes ago, thetime said:

I imagine Franz Ferdinand would be to expensive and big,  they are getting good placings at the likes of Kendal and victorious.

Might be a good shout with primal scream.

Same could be said for Ocean Colour Scene as well who only subbed IOW last year? 

I think Primal Scream fits quite well with past headliners 

On 2/1/2017 at 10:07 AM, thetime said:

They have a gig mid July lippy, so perhaps a good shout.

Never know with Godiva.

That reminds me...think I was supposed to be buying tickets to that gig for the girlfriend...ta for the reminder!

Primals could be a shout. Shed 7 or Inspirals subbing mebbes? Unless they decide to go for a newer band like Blossoms

30 minutes ago, Callum_96 said:

Thats a decent booking for the Sunday, looking at where he's placed on festival line ups this year I wouldn't be surprised to see Jake Bugg headline the Saturday 

Still too big I think, subbing medium sized festivals. The Darkness are really on their arse for bookings now aren't they.

18 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Still too big I think, subbing medium sized festivals. The Darkness are really on their arse for bookings now aren't they.

In all the years I've been doing efests (nearly 20 now), I can think of only one other band who fell on their arse as big and as badly as The darkness - and that's Razorlight.

The Darkness have the advantage of actually being entertaining.

15 minutes ago, thetime said:

Darkness headlined reading after one album. :lol:

Reading had some great headliners in those years with darkness, Razorlight and Travis.

The Darkness were great when they headlined, tho - which is more than can be said for Razorlight. There's nowt worse than an act which takes itself too seriously.

Which reminds me, I bumped into Justin that year - literally. He's a tiny bloke.

15 hours ago, eFestivals said:

The Darkness were great when they headlined, tho - which is more than can be said for Razorlight. There's nowt worse than an act which takes itself too seriously.

Which reminds me, I bumped into Justin that year - literally. He's a tiny bloke.

He reminds me of a skinny Har Mar Superstar

Hoping the Saturday headliner is better...saw The Darkness at Victorious a few years ago and they sucked ass soooooo bad. Got a massive crowd mind, no accounting for taste....who'd think a Poundland Queen would be that popular

I really enjoyed Darkness a victorious lippy, first time ever seeing them and not a fan, but thought they were very entertaining. Shame they used half the set flogging tickets to their tour tho! 

Theres been a few at victorious over past two years who I have seen before and enjoyed who were crap tho like dave from zutons and magic numbers, both become incredibly boring. 

I saw the darkness at Bham academy (the old one!) way back when they first came out, bloody brilliant. Used to love a few of their songs - get your hands off a my woman was badass. But then I kinda moved on and lost interest. Not sure what I make of them now, not thought about them in years. Wouldn't they suit the Sat more though? with the later finish and that.

Anyway, I want the Levellers for the Saturday. I hope I get what I want.

On 2/8/2017 at 4:10 PM, eFestivals said:

In all the years I've been doing efests (nearly 20 now), I can think of only one other band who fell on their arse as big and as badly as The darkness - and that's Razorlight.

The Darkness have the advantage of actually being entertaining.

Id say Travis as well, headliner of V and Reading, massive band of the month ala Darkness and now same level as Darkness. 

Id also say Ash had a massive fall from grace, number 1 album, headlined Glasto, then Nuclear sounds bombed and they went bankrupt only to come back with a strong album but now massively down on line ups and not anywhere near the stature they could have been. 

To be honest most british rock and indie acts of the 90's and early 2000's all suffered the same state. The only exceptions being in the indie world Oasis, Blur, Pulp and The Verve and none of them exist really anymore and Coldplay and Radiohead who still are going strong, The Charlatans, Manics, Skunk Anansie all way smaller Stereophonics did well to hang on as high as they did for so long, now lets enter the rock scene, Bullet For My Valentine who Copping groomed for his UK rock headliner for years and years to come couldn't even get them to headliner level let alone maintain it, Feeder headlined 2005, Funeral For A Friend subbed 2006, Trivium third 2006, its harder to find UK rock acts cus their just isn't many pushed up to that high. 

I've often said this but US acts maintain their slots at festivals just seemingly because they are a US act. Is it because it makes them seem a bigger attraction? A novelty? I wonder how Royal Blood will fair on their second album, Arctic Monkeys and Biffy Clyro are the last acts who came on the scene made it to headliner status and remain there, otherwise UK acts just seem to get pushed down festival billings in favour of US acts. 

In terms of album sales, well you can't really measure a bands size by that anymore cus so many people rip them off. 

Anyway Darkness, Copping said he was working alongside them to try and maintain their size as an act, and they wanted to release their second album in xmas period and he said it would get lost in the shuffle and he was right, it did the band had so much success so fast then it flopped, they imploded and went away, but when Copping brought them back as sub in 2011 I don't know why they then took much smaller slots straight afterwards, it just seemed a UK act wasn't protected again. I think they are more popular an attraction at fests than the slots given. I know they're nowhere near headliner but i still think Download could put them 4th/5th/6th on Main stage but they're not getting it. 

18 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Id say Travis as well, headliner of V and Reading, massive band of the month ala Darkness and now same level as Darkness. 

Id also say Ash had a massive fall from grace, number 1 album, headlined Glasto, then Nuclear sounds bombed and they went bankrupt only to come back with a strong album but now massively down on line ups and not anywhere near the stature they could have been. 

I'd be happy with Travis or Ash...with maybe British Sea Power subbing. 

2 hours ago, The60ftOctopus said:

The Darkness should be good fun.

Also someone I know has said James might be the other headliner. (He's a big James fan, but that's as much info as I have unfortunately). 

James would be phenomenal but think they are too big...hopefully I am wrong.