Godiva Festival 2017

thetime

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

@luckysalt Funeral For A Friend should have been something special. They were massive on the back of Casually Dressed and Streetcar. It's crazy to think back, isn't it, that they were second only to GNR at DL 2006. 

Streetcar was a great tune but Juneau was the track that made me stand up and notice FFAF

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Singer from the Enemy is doing the debut album in full on Saturday night in the tent

I can definitely see that being well attended to say the least. As much as The Enemy do my head in, I'm expecting a fairly big headliner to go against him assuming he's headlining the tent, would also assume the headliner might not carry on the run of indie bands topping the Saturday main stage?

4 hours ago, Callum_96 said:

I can definitely see that being well attended to say the least. As much as The Enemy do my head in, I'm expecting a fairly big headliner to go against him assuming he's headlining the tent, would also assume the headliner might not carry on the run of indie bands topping the Saturday main stage?

Its quite surprising because Saturday in the tent is usually ska in the day and then urban r&b in the night, so maybe hes doing the late afternoon headline slot like Easy Star All Stars did last year, headline set length but was around 4.30pm. This is what I reckon will happen. 

They've confirmed Friday night in the tent will be rock acts again. Would prefer them to swap Urban to Friday and Rock to Saturday myself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Isn't it a free festival? I'm not an example fan but I don't think it's fair that everyone is so critical for something that is put on for charity. A lot of other festivals with acts of this size would happily charge £50+ for a couple of days.

31 minutes ago, Adamon said:

Isn't it a free festival? I'm not an example fan but I don't think it's fair that everyone is so critical for something that is put on for charity. A lot of other festivals with acts of this size would happily charge £50+ for a couple of days.

it's free, yep, tho not for charity as far as I'm aware. It's funded by the local council.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

it's free, yep, tho not for charity as far as I'm aware. It's funded by the local council.

My bad, for some reason i thought it was a charity thing. Point still stands though, at my local "music festival" we had a status quo tribute band and kids from the local music school performing. 

Just now, Adamon said:

My bad, for some reason i thought it was a charity thing. Point still stands though, at my local "music festival" we had a status quo tribute band and kids from the local music school performing. 

Yup. Some people expect top bands for fuck all.

Bristol has a lot of council funded stuff compared to most other places, but it never stretches to bands of the profile that Godiva gets. Some people don't know how lucky they are.

In recent years they have changed the festival and ive been going to this a long time and everyone (who I speak to) think the changes are bad. They make a HELL of a lot of their money at this festival at the bar yet they keep changing the festival to be geared towards teenagers who turn up act like total twats spend no money onsite whatsoever (as you can bring in as much food and drink as you like just no alcohol) and leave a mess.

It has always been old school indie acts who always pulled a great crowd, yet they seem, it seems to me, to run this festival into the ground so they dont have to do it anymore. Its just my opinion, im never ungrateful, just if it aint broke, dont try to fix it.

6 hours ago, luckysalt said:

just if it aint broke, dont try to fix it.

I've no idea what might go on behind the scenes, but it's quite possible that there's loads of different personal agendas pushing the changes, where anyone new appointed to a position of authority feels they have to make their mark.

It's probably the case that council run events are much worse for that than with commercial festivals, as a commercial festival is very likely to have an always-the-same-person in charge, while councillors will change fairly regularly, and so want to change things to their liking (or in $$$ favour of their mates :P).

Godiva's always been naff but it's free. It's a fun day out to just enjoy the vibe of having thousands of people having fun and chilling around you. I've been for the past 7 years, purely because of it being a fun time to go out with your mates (That and I live 2 roads away from the park)

• 2 months later...

Top day out yesterday as usual. How on earth do they put this on for free?

I thought the atmosphere was lovely - actually exceptionally polite - everyone seemed to apologise overly profusely for the slightest nudge in the crowds. There was a great mix of ages getting on really well and enjoying the music together - didn't see any arsehole teenage behaviour at all, just people having a great time.

Highlight for me was the Panjabi MCs - fantastic to see such a mixed demographic getting right into this!

11 hours ago, amfy said:

Top day out yesterday as usual. How on earth do they put this on for free?

I thought the atmosphere was lovely - actually exceptionally polite - everyone seemed to apologise overly profusely for the slightest nudge in the crowds. There was a great mix of ages getting on really well and enjoying the music together - didn't see any arsehole teenage behaviour at all, just people having a great time.

Highlight for me was the Panjabi MCs - fantastic to see such a mixed demographic getting right into this!

Today was great as well. The weather was exceptional and The Darkness smashed it. 

Only snag was that they ran out of ale. 

I went on Friday and also thought the atmosphere was excellent. Compere announced a Friday record crowd of 31000. I can believe it - it took ages to get out of the car park but hey ho it was a warm night. Really enjoyed every act.