National Express Coach Prices

McCor

Although your return time is 4AM honestly no one really minds what time is on the ticket or even really looks at it. Mine was 7AM last year and due to my snail like pace I didn't make it to the coach park until 8AM. They just told me to get in the queue and I could get on. I think the main aim is to get people off site ASAP. Now obviously this isn't a 100% guarantee as you could potentially get someone who is a stickler for the rules, but from my experience and other stories on here, you should be absolutely fine.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, gherring8 said:

Although your return time is 4AM honestly no one really minds what time is on the ticket or even really looks at it. Mine was 7AM last year and due to my snail like pace I didn't make it to the coach park until 8AM. They just told me to get in the queue and I could get on. I think the main aim is to get people off site ASAP. Now obviously this isn't a 100% guarantee as you could potentially get someone who is a stickler for the rules, but from my experience and other stories on here, you should be absolutely fine.

I hear what you're saying and that's been my experience too. However, I don't want to be in the position of not having a valid way to get home on the Monday morning, as I've had disputes with some of the stewards there before (granted that was for the shuttle bus to Bath & West) and all it needs is one jobsworth. Will probably fork out just to save the bother - also Victoria is soooo much easier for us to get home from than the fucking O2. 

5 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

It is around 60quid return. If you only want a single I would check the train prices.

The £60 price I'm getting currently is for a single. That can't be right, surely? I reckon they do cheaper deals nearer the time. I never pay anything like that for a coach anywhere, including Scotland and Liverpool. 

Sorry to go slightly off topic (didn't feel it needed a new thread). Having gone by coach previously I've enjoyed the short walk into the campsite from Gate A. I think this year we're driving and I keep hearing people talking about the long walk. How long is the walk roughly from the car park to campsites? I know there's different car parks and different areas to camp, but maybe a rough idea? 

1 minute ago, justperfect said:

4 years of coach travel and not once have I got on my allocated return.

I'm more interested in how you know your see coach times already, I've never had mine before the balance has been paid

For London you get to choose at time of booking. A friend got through for mine and didn't notice what time they hit for the return, hence the undesirable nature of it! 

Edit: to add I think you do for Bristol too, but not sure. 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

4 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Sorry to go slightly off topic (didn't feel it needed a new thread). Having gone by coach previously I've enjoyed the short walk into the campsite from Gate A. I think this year we're driving and I keep hearing people talking about the long walk. How long is the walk roughly from the car park to campsites? I know there's different car parks and different areas to camp, but maybe a rough idea? 

Depending on a few factors (arrival time, where you end up) it could range from a 10 minute stroll to a 40 minute slog to the nearest gate

Just now, justperfect said:

Depending on a few factors (arrival time, where you end up) it could range from a 10 minute stroll to a 40 minute slog to the nearest gate

Cheers! I quite like the ease of getting the coach so hoping the potential long haul of a walk will put off the folks I'm going with (who are the ones deciding they want to drive).

Just checked the prices for Bristol & even then it's £30 per person.. there's a bus from the exact same bus station going to Glastonbury town (where you can get a shuttle bus) and tickets are £5.50. Seems a little extortionate for somewhere 'just up the road'. 

34 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

The £60 price I'm getting currently is for a single. That can't be right, surely? I reckon they do cheaper deals nearer the time. I never pay anything like that for a coach anywhere, including Scotland and Liverpool. 

Yes I think they quote the same for exactly that reason - people go down one way with See and back another by NE or train. We did it last year though I was coming back on Sunday with a child so it made sense to get the train back with a family railcard. The O2 is ridiculously out of the way.

Maybe someone on here will have space in a car?

Just now, giantkatestacks said:

Yes I think they quote the same for exactly that reason - people go down one way with See and back another by NE or train. We did it last year though I was coming back on Sunday with a child so it made sense to get the train back with a family railcard. The O2 is ridiculously out of the way.

Maybe someone on here will have space in a car?

Ah I see. Just surprised as NX normally pretty cheap compared to other options! I'll investigate a bit nearer the time. 

5 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah I see. Just surprised as NX normally pretty cheap compared to other options! I'll investigate a bit nearer the time. 

I think it's a much better deal if you go both ways. Single coach back to Sheffield was over 50 quid, with a return only about 70. That way it works out much cheaper than the peak-time train, without the nonsense of Castle Cary. 

6 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

It's long enough that on the Monday morning after my first Glastonbury, when I finally made it to my friend's car after what felt like an hour, I crumpled up into a heap on the ground, crying and being sick. Never again. 

6 hours ago, gherring8 said:

Does this mean that if I have a coach ticket for 10.30am it's still best to get to the coaches hours beforehand? I was hoping it would be less crazy than the train experience where my friend forced me to get into the queue at 6am....

I probably don't need to be worrying so much about this yet....must remind myself it's only February! :-(

Edited by Sasperella

1 hour ago, ogriff said:

In 2009 we overslept, were nearly 2 hours late for our 7am bus back to London and had to sit in another holding pen with an increasing band of stragglers until about 3 in the afternoon when they stuck us all on the loser bus. 

That was a bit shit.

Yeah that's the kind of shit I'm afraid of... will probably have to suck it up and get a train back. I've only done that once and found It quite a bit more faff with the shuttle bus etc and you're not guaranteed a seat either. Something to think on.

10 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Are you going to the Festival booking page rather than Glastonbury town? I'm seeing 52.50 for a single return - though that's still about £16 more than the cost for the return leg I bought from London a couple of weeks ago.

Just a thought, but fuel prices are increasing. I'm not sure there's anything to be gained by waiting. I think it's more likely that if they don't get the punters they'll just run less coaches rather than drop their price.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/events/glastonbury-festival.aspx

Edited by musky
Link added

5 minutes ago, sisco said:

£66 for a return from London now!! Rubbish 

Are you sure? Mine was showing £69.30 + £1 booking, which is what I paid a couple of weeks ago.

Edit: There's different prices for very early and late departures isn't there. That would account for it.

Edited by musky

I've just checked the prices based on 4 of us and it has gone done to £41 each rtn to Oxford. 

For me, being dropped at the gate is the single reason I've never driven. The convinience outways the cost! 

That said, I quite like the idea of the road trip. But can't see that happening!