Pete Tong and the Heritage Orchestra

themuel

53 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I'm the complete opposite. I can't stand nostalgia. I don't know of any country that wallows in nostalgia as much as the UK does. The rose tinted, backward looking conservatism of 'better in my day'. Artistically, nostalgia is a dead end. A last desperate effort to milk what once made you interesting. 

I'd much rather see the 80's & 90's house pioneers try and take risks with something new. Take bits of what was great for sure but move it forwards. 

Music is not the forefront of scientific discovery. It is an entertainment. If it makes people happy then it does not matter when it is from.

You have the whole history of recorded music to entertain you. Why listen to just a slither of it?

There's been a full Orchestra at the Pyramid before when the English National Opera played the Sunday Afternoon slot at the Pyramid in 2004. Almost any of these string heavy Club classics sound awesome when performed this way to my ears. Bring it on.

I went to the gig they did in Manchester Arena in December and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes it leans heavily on nostalgia but it's great to hear some of those classic tracks being blasted out by an orchestra, alongside some more contemporary tracks. It doesn't stop me enjoying new electronic music, neither does it leave me wallowing in the past. Have some fun you miserable sods ;)

6 hours ago, eastynh said:

Soft House Company - What You Need played by an orchestra was absolutely fantastic,  regardless of it being nostalgia.

There is nothing wrong with nostalgia. Good music is emotive. If it puts a smile on your face, makes you dance for the 1st time in 20 years even though you have arthiritis and makes you think of happier times, then so what?

I'm not that fucking old!

On 27/01/2017 at 11:09 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I've got to agree with this. Playing house music on a string section seems to be against everything the movement stood for. I'd probably eat my words if I saw it and realise how wonderful it was, but at the moment, it seems utterly shit.

No fucking bass for one. I bet it's all seated too. Fuck that.

Well I for one thought it sounded great.. At least it's not all just the AMEN break repeated again and again like these new tunes... As some one that has and very occasionally still does I'd love to be able to take a full orchestra out to the woods... It would sound great imo. 

Maybe I could do a suicide rig with a big fire so when the old bill come we can build it up by throwing the violins ect on it lol

I personally don't like tong but hey ho I'd watch it if it was the pyramid or other stages if I was there 

20 hours ago, Keithy said:

I'm the complete opposite. I can't stand nostalgia. I don't know of any country that wallows in nostalgia as much as the UK does. The rose tinted, backward looking conservatism of 'better in my day'. Artistically, nostalgia is a dead end. A last desperate effort to milk what once made you interesting. 

I'd much rather see the 80's & 90's house pioneers try and take risks with something new. Take bits of what was great for sure but move it forwards. 

Interesting, do you think this with just electronic music, djs?

so If you are seeing Radiohead (no idea if you like them) would you tut and wonder why they do not play unreleased stuff more, or give their old music a new twist instead ?

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...