Pete Tong and the Heritage Orchestra

themuel

I reckon that the current tour he is doing with a full orchestra performing classic dance stuff would be amazing at the festival. Full light show, lots of happy people dancing.  I would be there  

(I would also like to see it as an Eden Session in Cornwall but that seems unlikely) 

35 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

There's been a bit of this stuff around recently.  Tong's at it, as was Hooky and his Hacienda. Jenny Green did it in Ireland. 

And I have to say now is the time to nip it in the bud before it catches on.  It's corny as fuck. 

I've got to agree with this. Playing house music on a string section seems to be against everything the movement stood for. I'd probably eat my words if I saw it and realise how wonderful it was, but at the moment, it seems utterly shit.

No fucking bass for one. I bet it's all seated too. Fuck that.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've got to agree with this. Playing house music on a string section seems to be against everything the movement stood for. I'd probably eat my words if I saw it and realise how wonderful it was, but at the moment, it seems utterly shit.

I had pretty similar feelings to you, yet I really enjoyed the hacienda one when I went. Don't think I would pay to go again but would see it at a festival.

House was all inclusive though, string sections would have been welcomed with open arms.

16 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The seating aspect is quite appealing to an old raver actually.

19 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

The seating aspect is quite appealing to an old raver actually.

Agreed, although we've got standing for the hacienda thing in Glasgow. 

Watched the TVs Doc about it and it's the orchestra plus a gospel choir accompied by Peter hook and graham park on the decks.

As CG pointed out, £45 considering the number of people involved is ok relatively speaking.

Just listened to some of that. Fucking dreadful. Looking at the audience... reminds me of the Sick Boy line - "Nostalgia, that's why you're here. You're a tourist in your youth." 

These classical music interpretations always crop up every decade. Always, without fail, bloody dreadful whatever the genre.

6 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Just listened to some of that. Fucking dreadful. Looking at the audience... reminds me of the Sick Boy line - "Nostalgia, that's why you're here. You're a tourist in your youth." .

That line is just as much addressed to the T2 cinema audience as it is to Renton.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That line is just as much addressed to the T2 cinema audience as it is to Renton.

True and good point. Though If nostalgia gets you in the door and the music or new film stands in it's own right then it's all good for me.

Godfather part 2 for the defence but plenty on the other side of this coin of course.

1 minute ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

True and good point. Though If nostalgia gets you in the door and the music or new film stands in it's own right then it's all good for me.

I've got no issue at all with nostalgia as long as it's not uncritical and as long as that's not all there is - it has to be accompanied by a similar desire and appreciation for change and progress.  I don't feel that they're mutually exclusive.

I think these things look like a lot of fun, and if one or other of them rock up to headline WH on the Saturday night then I may well be there.

Soft House Company - What You Need played by an orchestra was absolutely fantastic,  regardless of it being nostalgia.

There is nothing wrong with nostalgia. Good music is emotive. If it puts a smile on your face, makes you dance for the 1st time in 20 years even though you have arthiritis and makes you think of happier times, then so what?

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

There is nothing wrong with nostalgia. Good music is emotive. If it puts a smile on your face, makes you dance for the 1st time in 20 years even though you have arthiritis and makes you think of happier times, then so what?

I'm the complete opposite. I can't stand nostalgia. I don't know of any country that wallows in nostalgia as much as the UK does. The rose tinted, backward looking conservatism of 'better in my day'. Artistically, nostalgia is a dead end. A last desperate effort to milk what once made you interesting. 

I'd much rather see the 80's & 90's house pioneers try and take risks with something new. Take bits of what was great for sure but move it forwards. 

Goldie and the Heritige Orchestra doing Timeless is brilliant, saw them in Bristol last year (I think it was lasts year??) and loved it. That album is perfect for an ochestra, strings and percussion galore.  Was hoping to see that get a booking last year but sadly not. They're still doing the odd date though so who knows maybe this year...

As for the Pete Tong thing i flicked through it when it was on iplayer at proms time and wasn't bothered. Struggling to work out what Tong is doing on stage! As has been mentioned not much classic house lends itself to performance by orchestra really. Once you've done Strings of Life  once you've peaked. Honourable mention for Song of Life, if they do that.