Announcement reaction and highlights

ramragon

15 minutes ago, ramragon said:

We were chatting earlier and for the festival to grow much more they need to have a viable 2nd stage to draw crowds away from the main stage. If they have a licence up to 35000 and they currently accommodate about 25000 then how can they build the capacity. The main stage is rammed for big acts so they probably need a 2nd arena area to split the crowds. Maybes having frank turner on against Brian Wilson and Jake bugg on at same time as stereophonics  for example would thin the crowds out enough to expand. They just need to consider where and how to juggle the arena to fit it in. It will be interesting to see how they play it if they sell their quota of tickets in the next few weeks.

Obviously if they increase then camping areas are the next big issue

Calling out stage can't really get any bigger in the same location but could it work more open in the back field where the cimema and jaagarhaas tent is? Both location size and noiseclashwise

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty damn happy as manics and editors are playing. I especially needed to see the editors so over the moon they're playing.

Then it's a nice start with the likes of the coral, frightened rabbit, Franz Ferdinand, faithless(DJ).

Kendal wasn't on my radar really as I'm going to sziget week or so later, it does look top notch though.

Very strong for me - love stereophonics and it'll be nice to see them in a smaller venue to normal (arena is the usual size!!), and like manics too. I wasn't sure on a festival at all this year as can't do Glastonbury but I think Kendal has got me. 

Would happily see franz, frank turner, Brian Wilson, Tinie tempah, editors, jake bugg, example, slaves, coral and reverend. Love circa waves too but assume there will be a clash there. 

Plus there's always one or two newer ones that I discover nearer the time! 

Just need to convince some people to go with me now!! 

I'm happy! We are coming on the Thursday and from the first announcement I'd be interested in seeing:

• Stereophonics (saw them on my 16th birthday back in 2008 supported by The Courteeners. They were good and I'd happily see them again)
  • Manic Street Preachers (never had the pleasure of seeing them live so I'm super excited about that!)
  • Frank Turner (saw him back in 2009 and I've been a fan since. I get the feeling he isn't popular on this forum though)
  • Frightened Rabbit (loved them for years. Hope they do some of their older stuff)

20 hours ago, bottonrob said:

Calling out stage can't really get any bigger in the same location but could it work more open in the back field where the cimema and jaagarhaas tent is? Both location size and noiseclashwise

Noticed they are saying there is a new campsite with " mountain views " when I got my tickets. Think there will be a bit of movement with the site as they look to get more people in.

Last year, with the good weather, was the first time I`ve seen the whole field in front of the main stage available as the back bit left bit as you look out at from the stage is normally a swamp ( as you know ).

During Noel G, there were also folk sitting over the path at the back left bit right up the hill towards chai wallahs. I had never seen anyone doing that before as again, that`s a bit that gets really muddy.

I`m sure they have thought of this but if it rains then these 2 areas are out of bounds and the extra crowd numbers would give them a big problem. I agree with the points made before that they need to think about bigger , better options for the 2nd stage to split this bigger crowd up.

I like Calling Out where it is though. I think ( could be wrong ) that it is already in a different location and a bigger tent than when I first went. An option could be to use a bigger tent but keep it in the same place and invest a bit more on the acts in there.

T in the Park have a nice big tent that they no longer need !

Hope the Strongbow tree area is there again. Sorted me out on Sunday lunchtime. Good tunes as well as apples :)

Like the look of the line up so far looking forward to Stereophonics and Manics. Seen Example a few times So will give him a miss if he's in the Glow tent  Always wanted to sea Seasick Steve. Just hoping for Fatherson now that'll be the icing on the cake .... well for me anyway. The Editors are the hubbies icing x

3 minutes ago, zippy70 said:

Like the look of the line up so far looking forward to Stereophonics and Manics. Seen Example a few times So will give him a miss if he's in the Glow tent  Always wanted to sea Seasick Steve. Just hoping for Fatherson now that'll be the icing on the cake .... well for me anyway. The Editors are the hubbies icing x

Fatherson are from round my way. Wouldn`t rule them out.

24 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Noticed they are saying there is a new campsite with " mountain views " when I got my tickets. Think there will be a bit of movement with the site as they look to get more people in.

Last year, with the good weather, was the first time I`ve seen the whole field in front of the main stage available as the back bit left bit as you look out at from the stage is normally a swamp ( as you know ).

During Noel G, there were also folk sitting over the path at the back left bit right up the hill towards chai wallahs. I had never seen anyone doing that before as again, that`s a bit that gets really muddy.

I`m sure they have thought of this but if it rains then these 2 areas are out of bounds and the extra crowd numbers would give them a big problem. I agree with the points made before that they need to think about bigger , better options for the 2nd stage to split this bigger crowd up.

I like Calling Out where it is though. I think ( could be wrong ) that it is already in a different location and a bigger tent than when I first went. An option could be to use a bigger tent but keep it in the same place and invest a bit more on the acts in there.

T in the Park have a nice big tent that they no longer need !

Hope the Strongbow tree area is there again. Sorted me out on Sunday lunchtime. Good tunes as well as apples :)

Calling out stage despite being bigger and slightly back from where/what it was still feels enclosed and restrictive. If they were to open it out so a crowd could view open air it would make such a difference. Would they need to push it backwards 100yards into the top of the Chlamydia camp to create the room for this otherwise the noise would clash with mainstage?!?

3 hours ago, Fezzy_buzzer said:

Will any future announcements now be just small bands? Or do any medium to big ticket seller bands  ever get announced later on for Kendal calling? 

I wouldn't be surprised if blossoms end up playing, with a march tour and castlefield to sell out if they were booked there's no way they'd be announced now I'd imagine. Also the view perhaps? Tour went on sale Friday same day as Kendal 

Edited by efcfanwirral

12 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I wouldn't be surprised if blossoms end up playing, with a march tour and castlefield to sell out if they were booked there's no way they'd be announced now I'd imagine. Also the view perhaps? Tour went on sale Friday same day as Kendal 

The View take me back to my teenage years. I'd happily see them again if they are at Kendal Calling, though I won't be buying tickets for their tour. 

To be honest, I think the line up is just ok.....Not as good as the last couple of years for me. I've seen all the headliners before, but not for a fair few years. And for me, that's the point....I can't see there being a Champagne Supernova moment like last year.

Brian Wilson? I saw him at Glastonbury over 10 years ago and he looked like he'd been wheeled out them.

Let's hope the sun shines and Baggy Mondays are in the Calling Out tent on Saturday night again

4 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Let's hope the sun shines and Baggy Mondays are in the Calling Out tent on Saturday night again

Agreed. We rocked up late and couldn`t get in the tent to begin with. Great scenes. Would also be good to see Craig Charles doing a late night set again this year.

Fantastic first announcement for me. Only bigish band on there that  i think are a bit meh is Franz Ferdinand.

Frank Turner is worthy of headlining given he last year played a number of sell out tours to at least 1500 people a night. 

This will be the 20th anniversary of my first ever festival with was V97, Stereophonics played there, and were the first band playing (if i remember correctly).

Again, i have probably not seen the manics since the late 90s either.

Its going to be a great singalong for me. 

I think we needs a bit of cheese and/or pop so hoping the past wishes for All Saints and Right Said Fred come true.

1 hour ago, dannyfletcher said:

I think we needs a bit of cheese and/or pop

I'll agree with that and I'm sure that sort of thing will be announced in the next few releases. The bands were looking for are sunny afternoon filler bands to sit on the hill with a cold beer and enjoy.

Before anyone suggests it "I don't mean the hotpot !"

It's good to see when festivals are taking longer and longer to sell out. Certainly beats last year's week before sell out  

I wonder if they'll take the opportunity to increase the capacity a little bit and sell more tickets. They have a licence for 35000 and the capacity is usually around 25000 on a sell out

6 hours ago, richall said:

Just looked on the bands page on kc website and on the corals page it says Sunday night main stage headliners I find that hard to believe if true nothing against the coral I like them but surely not Sunday night headliners 

i noticed that as well, was also a bit surprised to see Frank Turner listed as Saturday headline act. However much the festival talk about 6 headline acts theres no way id put frank turner ahead of the manics or stereophonics as the main act of the night.

maybes some of the bios from their last appearances are still on the site