Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I guess if there is any sort of moratorium, it's as a mark of respect and not a question of letting terrorists win. Lineup announcements for small areas of a festival are very trivial in the grand scheme of life.

Don't mean to sound crass but I'm not entirely sure how it's a mark of respect? Suspending campaigning for the GE I get sure as that's more of a 'let's set aside our political differences for a moment and remember the victims of this atrocity'

Not announcing something for a festival however just seems trivial. It's not like any of the friends and family of the victims are going to be like "You know what? I was feeling terrible but seeing the Theatre and Circus field at Glastonbury hold off announcing their line up for 48hrs has really brought me right back up"

It would be a far stronger gesture to have a minutes silence during the festival or something like that than a social media black out. I get the intent behind it but as an actual mark of respect I feel it falls rather flat. Especially if it's unannounced since people wouldn't even notice anyway. There's surely a better way of acknowledging the situation.

Edited by 42hamlet

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I disagree. It's having the terrorists change what we do.

yeah i think a poor choice of words by me but I get the sense most large organisations feel obliged whether they want to or not.

It will take a large culture change to alter that whatever your opinion. I would be in the camp of don't change your plans too really.

3 minutes ago, 42hamlet said:

Don't mean to sound crass but I'm not entirely sure how it's a mark of respect? Suspending campaigning for the GE I get sure as that's more of a 'let's set aside our political differences for a moment and remember the victims of this atrocity'

Not announcing something for a festival however just seems trivial. It's not like any of the friends and family of the victims are going to be like "You know what? I was feeling terrible but seeing the Theatre and Circus field at Glastonbury hold off announcing their line up for 48hrs has really brought me right back up"

It would be a far stronger gesture to have a minutes silence during the festival or something like that than a social media black out. I get the intent behind it but as an actual mark of respect I feel it falls rather flat.

I think in a situation like this the victims and their family's deserve all the focus for a day or two. Things like the T&C lineup are massively trivial and insignificant things, maybe the festival would feel crass announcing them? The festival is still going ahead, nothing that is going to happen in 4 weeks time has been affected in any way shape or form, we might just have to wait a day or two longer to find out the Arcadia lineup.

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I disagree. It's having the terrorists change what we do.

While I reckon the whole Britain Soldiers On thing touted by our leaders is mawkish bunkum, as annoying and contradictory as all that 'Keep Calm And..' tat on sale in museums soon likely to be guarded by squaddies, I completely agree that fun and parties and joy should go ahead. 

Nobody sane thinks it's insensitive to talk about the best things in life, to be excited about the very things under attack. Glasto should've gone hard yesterday with a full lineup of all that shameless and provocative pop the fuckers hate so much!

Edited by liamium

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think in a situation like this the victims and their family's deserve all the focus for a day or two. Things like the T&C lineup are massively trivial and insignificant things, maybe the festival would feel crass announcing them? The festival is still going ahead, nothing that is going to happen in 4 weeks time has been affected in any way shape or form, we might just have to wait a day or two longer to find out the Arcadia lineup.

I get where you're coming from and you're probably right about the festival themselves feeling uncomfortable announcing anything right now. However, I don't think it would take any focus off of the tragedy that has occurred although I can understand the point of view it just doesn't particularly resonate me. But then again, I haven't been directly affected by what's happened aside from feeling devastated by the news like everyone else has. I can't imagine what it might be like right now for anyone who is in that position right now so perhaps I'm not the best person to make a judgement.

54 minutes ago, 42hamlet said:

It would be a far stronger gesture to have a minutes silence during the festival or something like that than a social media black out. I get the intent behind it but as an actual mark of respect I feel it falls rather flat. Especially if it's unannounced since people wouldn't even notice anyway. There's surely a better way of acknowledging the situation.

I agree with this too. Marks of respect are fine, but do it when it counts, not just. June 23rd, a small announcement in solidarity or a minutes silence on the Pyramid or something like a minutes round of applause in memory of the victims and their families with all the cameras and world watching. I think that's better than a media black out when we don't even know if they would have tweeted or released anything during that time period anyway. And like you say, why the heck would they care if Aracadia was announced or not? Not exactly comforting or moving

8 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I agree that it is trivial in the scheme of things, but I also personally don't see how holding back announcements is showing respect to the victims. 

FWIW I wouldn't disagree with Glastonbury or any other festival either carrying on as normal, or deciding to keep quiet for a few days. Neither are right or wrong, but by keeping quiet I just see it as them keeping the news space clear and allowing the focus to remain on the victims for a couple of days. I don't necessarily see at as them attempting to make a direct gesture of respect to the victims as such.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Whatever schedule they had for the main announcement will still be kept as I think lots of bands etc have things tied up with that date.

I hope that date was Friday this week.

Yes that really is the perfect date - 36 hours of over-poring and meticulous bank holiday clashtastic plannery!

I think people will have personal views on whether it is appropriate or not, but it woudln be good to open up a debate on their social media thread on whether that action was appropriate.

I think if other actors have placed a moratorium the most risk averse strategy is to fall into line.

I think that Glasto could do it differently, and not having a commercial imperative to shift tickets means that their sentiments would be regarded as sincere. But they aren't in a place to gauge local mood, and the worst thing they could possibly do is offend. So Yeah, I'd hold back

Edited by Nduja

Think we'll get something this afternoon or evening. I think, generally speaking, GE and some other things will resume from midday today.

Worth remembering that even though Glastonbury haven't announced anything since the tragic events of Monday, they also haven't confirmed they wouldn't be in the same way others have (if that makes sense). My guess is they've been playing by ear, and will continue to do so.

The festival probably has bigger things to consider and sort security wise than worrying about announcements. I don't mean necessarily introducing measures, more liasing with police etc about increased presence. 

I doubt families of those affected by the tradegy will be noticing any other news to be honest, but I think it is respectful to hold off.

Edited by slash's hat
blooming autocorrect

21 minutes ago, big__phil said:

If the assumption that they had to postpone at least one delay is correct, do we think they'll do the last couple in quick succession, or push them (and time splits) back? The sooner we get times the better for me!

I'm holding on to the idea that bands and others have enough dependency on the main poster coming out on a certain day that it'll still come out when they intended (tomorrow PLEASE!), and they'll rush out TWO announcements today (T&C and Arcadia?) to be ready for it tomoz

Just now, billum said:

I'm holding on to the idea that bands and others have enough dependency on the main poster coming out on a certain day that it'll still come out when they intended (tomorrow PLEASE!), and they'll rush out TWO announcements today (T&C and Arcadia?) to be ready for it tomoz

Haha if you looked up the term optimism, this sentence could be used as a great example.