Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

48 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it means I got told off last year for revealing an announcement date i heard at the ETC the year before.

So I made sure that this year I didn't post about what I heard. :P

Did you hear the date of the larger poster out of interest? Not that we expect you to get yourself in trouble again!

8 minutes ago, TheNoise said:

Sorry if I've missed it, but has anybody mentioned Queen ? They're touring this year ( with Adam Lambert ) and it's the 40th anniversary of News of the World. 

1. badgers badgers badgers

2. who cares?

that's not 'who cares about the badgers', that's about who cares to see not-Queen. They seem a very very long way short of a big festival ticket-shifter.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

1. badgers badgers badgers

2. who cares?

that's not 'who cares about the badgers', that's about who cares to see not-Queen. They seem a very very long way short of a big festival ticket-shifter.

You'd be surprised. Priority booking sold out very quickly ( got 2 tickets ) and not-Queen still has Taylor and May. I also went to see Brian May on his 'Badgers' tour and that man has some serious talent. There wasn't a dry eye in the house when he sang No-one but you. They may seem like old news now, but for the older generation who accepts that they'll never see Freddie but Adam Lambert is the next best thing, they are still huge.

That was a bit underwhelming. 

yep, could be.

Tho someone just twittered Oasis at me as their suggestion, and I'd been thinking U2 .... so I reckon there's more than just a few of the more-obvious possibilities.

But actually, you might be on to something, cos Emily took the convo to 2020 after I (jokingly) said I was disappointed to not have a headliner for the next festival listed as playing this year.

U2 won't do it unless they can bring the crowd 20 feet closer and stop the rain. I think FM will be the one that isn't there, but I reckon The Roses will be back in 2019 but not sure if it would be deen too weak a booking of they again delayed until 20 but finally did it?, I'd like to think they would do Manchester and Glastonbury then cover any London at all the folllwing year and at least along with hopefully a new album give the slot some credibility.

44 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Blur will probably be around again by then. They'd fit it nicely and I reckon they'd be well up for it.

Yup I think Coldplay and Blur are nailed on, Coldplay not there would be the shock and Damons appearances and collaborations etc, he probably didn't play the other year when it looked very likely due to wanting it 2020 and he knows Blur aren't the ticket seller now that Coldplay are.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah Coldplay and Blur are my #1 predictions for 2020

2020 being 11 years since Blur last played? Madness

I can see blur being one for definite. I don't see Coldplay as number 2 headliner if it is blur though. Although I still expect Coldplay to be there in some form or another.

Just now, Junglist1981 said:

It's kind of a shame, and indicative of the commercial music scene these days etc etc, that all the bands being mentioned for 2020 come from the 90s or earlier. 

I suppose it's just coz they have stood the test of time and so are likely to still be together in a few years' time and able to tour. If you tipped Moonlandingz to headline you could be on shaky ground!

But I'd love it to be Beyoncé too... Or Janelle Monáe!!

2 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

It's kind of a shame, and indicative of the commercial music scene these days etc etc, that all the bands being mentioned for 2020 come from the 90s or earlier. 

Throw Beyonce in the mix I reckon, be very surprised if there's not a lady headlining that year.

Could be shout tbf, Gaga 2019, Bey 2010

4 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Just more to do with the reality of booking big shows over 3 years in advance.  It stands to reason that its bands with a preexisting relationship with the fest.

1 minute ago, Lucy92 said:

So do we think we are getting any line up announcement today? 

My guess is that it's just the Kano at the Park info that Neil's already mentioned. Be great if it's something else though! Too much excitement for one day! (With the resale and all, I'm not that made up about Kano)

3 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

So do we think we are getting any line up announcement today? 

Nah. Given that people were mainly talking about the upcoming Silver Hayes announcement on Tuesday, I doubt there'll be one before that.

I'm buoyant about that and the suggestion that there's a separate West Holts announcement on the horizon too. We're practically four weeks ahead of schedule - maybe the complete stage splits and running orders will come a few weeks earlier too.

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Just more to do with the reality of booking big shows over 3 years in advance.  It stands to reason that its bands with a preexisting relationship with the fest.

I kinda mean that it feels like there aren't many acts who have come along since the 90's that could cut it as a 2020 50th anniversary headliner, and that reflects badly on the 00's.

Maybe it's slightly to do with my age, but I can't name many bands since the 90s who have attained the level of prestige that was quite quickly attained by the likes of Coldplay, Radiohead, Oasis, Muse, Blur, etc

Things are different now though I guess. Hmmm.

There are acts like Beyonce who emerged in that period that are a big deal, but I can't see them plotting out their calendar quite so far in advance.  I mentioned in the other thread that it would require them to arrange any future tours so as to accomodate a single gig arranged years beforehand.

Arctic Monkeys would be a band from that period who could conceivably plan their trajectory around it 

Kasabian would be another one, but hopefully it won't come to that.