Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

I'm from the South but spent several years living in Manchester, and the attitude towards music there is strange. On one hand, Manchester is legitimately home to some of the most progressive and culturally significant music anywhere in the UK. But on the other, lots of people from there today - who had nothing to do with that, least of all have any experience of it - have this odd sense of entitlement to become arbiters of what 'good' music is about and who most authentically appreciates it. It's all a bit pathetic.

27 minutes ago, Stretlow said:

What an odd comment..... and i'm from Manchester

I've been to some cracking gigs in the south.

Probably means they don't do enough ket and don't enough punch people down south crowds wise

the northern gigs have had some of the worst crowds when it comes to cringey apes chanting Manchester and fighting so depends what you want  the crowd I guess 

Edited by OddRon

On 12/04/2017 at 9:20 PM, Jakkkkobz said:

They had a massive crowd a couple years ago when on Other.

this isn't true tbh. Was hanging out at the back of the field waiting for Mark Ronson while they were on, and it was pretty thinly spread beyond half a dozen rows of die hards down the front. Frank Turner pulled in twice as many people in a death slot on the  Saturday lunchtime.

6 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

this isn't true tbh. Was hanging out at the back of the field waiting for Mark Ronson while they were on, and it was pretty thinly spread beyond half a dozen rows of die hards down the front. Frank Turner pulled in twice as many people in a death slot on the  Saturday lunchtime.

Is that meant to be rivaling the legends slot now? :lol:

2 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Is that meant to be rivaling the legends slot now? :lol:

tbh Frankie T at least had a tiny bit of something resembling competition, up against Courtney Barnett on the Pyramid and Sunset Sons on JP. Courteeners pulled a thin crowd in a pimp early evening slot with competition no tougher than The Proclaimers on the Acoustic. They'd bomb harder than Donald's new MOAB toy if they were to play any higher.

18 minutes ago, OddRon said:

Probably means they don't do enough ket and don't enough punch people down south crowds wise

the northern gigs have had some of the worst crowds when it comes to cringey apes chanting Manchester and fighting so depends what you want  the crowd I guess 

The north and south thing is getting a bit tiresome on here now as it's been done to death.

Now I will pull you up on the other comment though. I have been going to gigs in Manchester for over 20 years now and not once have I seen a fight at a gig. I have seen all the 'lads' bands at all the big venues and again have not seen one fight. 

Now I know there was trouble at the Oasis gig when they played at the Reebok stadium as my mates were witness to it. Yet the only place I have ever seen trouble at a gig was when Oasis played at Knebworth.

Would be interested for you to put some meat on the bones regarding the fighting you know about.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

The north and south thing is getting a bit tiresome on here now as it's been done to death.

Now I will pull you up on the other comment though. I have been going to gigs in Manchester for over 20 years now and not once have I seen a fight at a gig. I have seen all the 'lads' bands at all the big venues and again have not seen one fight. 

Now I know there was trouble at the Oasis gig when they played at the Reebok stadium as my mates were witness to it. Yet the only place I have ever seen trouble at a gig was when Oasis played at Knebworth.

Would be interested for you to put some meat on the bones regarding the fighting you know about.

only been to two gigs in Manchester and saw multiple fights  at both. If fights can break out at Coldplay and Ben Howard gigs (!) I dread to think how many happen at Stone Roses etc :lol:

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

Now I know there was trouble at the Oasis gig when they played at the Reebok stadium as my mates were witness to it.

10 y/o Amy Lawn was witness to it, first gig! (providing you're talking about Bolton F.C. and there's not another Reebok stadium).

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I've seen fights all over the place. Manchester, London, Birmingham, Glasgow etc. I just think with large bodies of people crowds are going to happen if they are all brought together often enough.  

3 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

only been to two gigs in Manchester and saw multiple fights  at both. If fights can break out at Coldplay and Ben Howard gigs (!) I dread to think how many happen at Stone Roses etc :lol:

Nothing happened at the Stone Roses gigs. The ones at the Etihad got a bit hairy with people dancing and pushing forward, but there was no troble at all. The ones at Heaton Park were exactly how a gig should be, a celebration.

3 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

I've seen fights all over the place. Manchester, London, Birmingham, Glasgow etc. I just think with large bodies of people crowds are going to happen if they are all brought together often enough.  

And thats my point. Things like that are not restricted to the north. Idiots are everywhere. Add dugs and beer, things can get quickly out of hand.

I thought the poster was a little out of order considering not once have I ever seen trouble at a gig. Plenty at football unfortunately but not once at a gig.

You want ruffians at gigs? Try Belfast. Caught the setlist at the end of a Primal Scream gig, only for what appeared to be a middle aged woman digging her long nails straight into my 17 year old hands in an attempt to claw it off me. I've been to a good few gigs up north (Liverpool/Manchester) and never had anything like that! 

I've also loved the crowds at gigs in Manchester in particular. Personal favourite was Foals at the M.E.N last year, a bloke clearly off his tits screaming between songs in his strong Mancunian accent gems like "He's got the whole world in his hands!" and "The bassist is on fire!"

55 minutes ago, OddRon said:

Sorry but this is nonsense. I've seen trouble at the odd gig in Manchester but similarly have seen trouble at gigs all over the country. Crowds + booze/drugs and stuff does happen. The worst crowd trouble I've seen has been down south where I have actually felt scared for my own safety. But I'm not going to sit here and act like all southern crowds are like that. Don't generalise, it just makes you look daft. 

45 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

tbh Frankie T at least had a tiny bit of something resembling competition, up against Courtney Barnett on the Pyramid and Sunset Sons on JP. Courteeners pulled a thin crowd in a pimp early evening slot with competition no tougher than The Proclaimers on the Acoustic. They'd bomb harder than Donald's new MOAB toy if they were to play any higher.

To be fair The Libertines started halfway through their set, that would have taken away a reasonable chunk of their crowd. I didn't think their crowd was that tiny either, yeah it wasn't great but was still a reasonable amount there from what I remember.

32 minutes ago, eastynh said:

And thats my point. Things like that are not restricted to the north. Idiots are everywhere. Add dugs and beer, things can get quickly out of hand.

Yep, don't know why people find that too difficult to process. I remember someone camping next to me in 2015 complaining to their friends about all the northern people and saying "I find the north abhorrent", as if it's some sort of homogenous entity populated by clones of the same person- I just don't get how it's possible to be that thick!

44 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Nothing happened at the Stone Roses gigs. The ones at the Etihad got a bit hairy with people dancing and pushing forward, but there was no troble at all. The ones at Heaton Park were exactly how a gig should be, a celebration.

There was a guy covered in blood in the pit at the Saturday night show. No idea what happened to him, but it clearly wasn't due to being given a love bite.

But I agree that fights can break out anywhere and that had little to do with it being in Manchester, as someone punched me in the back of the head for no reason at the Glasgow Green show.

I was at the o2 in december... someone said to me after this girl was carried out.

"Too many fucking Northerners here  its kicked off twice. Northern c**ts, too many fights and drugs..."

I then started talking in my pretty thick northern accent..

Him "Nah, you are alright though, in fact my mates from the north. Where is he?"

(Grabs a guy who was ironically from about 2 miles away)

It was weird. I suppose its like when someone is being racist & denies it "How can I be, I have a black mate"

He was a dick.

59 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

Gotta say defo seen more fights at gig down south than north. A fight even kicked off at the Biffy War Child gig. Seen them in Birmingham too but London is prime for it.

13 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Gotta say defo seen more fights at gig down south than north. A fight even kicked off at the Biffy War Child gig. Seen them in Birmingham too but London is prime for it.

I was at that gig and didnt see that fight. It's hard to be sweeping about any generalisations as you cant see the whole crowd the whole time.