Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

2 hours ago, Vanderlyle said:

But Lana del Rey was one of the biggest let downs I can remember ever at Glasto. I wasn't particularly into her, but even those I was with who loved her album were shocked by the dullness of her performance.

I thought Lana was really good at Glastonbury, you get her or you don't. She performed for me as she should have, you see her as decent or depressing.

5 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Right, after paying homage to the Thingy this morning I'm going for first poster landing;

Date: 28.03.17

Time: 08:30

I don't think it will be that late in the month. I think by the 15th we will have given up on it arriving any time soon, and then BAM! They'll hit us with it with it around the 20th.

1 hour ago, JoBalls said:

I don't think it will be that late in the month. I think by the 15th we will have given up on it arriving any time soon, and then BAM! They'll hit us with it with it around the 20th.

Tuesday 21st @ 08:30 would be wonderfully surprising 

20 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Trying to think back to recent poster announcements, when was the last time it was a genuine surprise? We've known it was coming more often than not if I remember correctly. 

Maybe 2010?

I'm sorry?

YOU are asking US about this?

That's not how it works, Gnomy.

AHTT

:)

Ben

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

note to self: work more than the current 14 hours a day 7 days a week.

Slightly off-topic, but is there any scope for letting members of the community help out with anything? We're obsessed enough to make Thingies and set up Twitter accounts and the like, there may be a source of cheap labour on here?

Not that I know what takes up most of your time and whether the suggestion is remotely feasible, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who dreads having to rely on Facebook for Glastonbury discussions!

There's a lot of goodwill on here, hopefully there is some way we could help?

Would be well happy with Lorde. I wanted her a couple of years ago and couldn't really fathom why (other than the 'refreshing take' on pop as mentioned above) but Green Light has cemented it.

Just because it's really upbeat doesn't mean it's suddenly 'generic' - it's structurally interesting, there are many different sounding components. I wouldn't say it's at all by numbers and I'd be excited to see her smash out an hour in June! 

21 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Slightly off-topic, but is there any scope for letting members of the community help out with anything? We're obsessed enough to make Thingies and set up Twitter accounts and the like, there may be a source of cheap labour on here?

Not that I know what takes up most of your time and whether the suggestion is remotely feasible, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who dreads having to rely on Facebook for Glastonbury discussions!

There's a lot of goodwill on here, hopefully there is some way we could help?

there's a lot of goodwill, but it's far from solid enough to be suitable for the business assurances I have to give.

Just as a simple example, there's been some massive spam attacks here in the last 24 hours, and only two people reported one of them.

by the way @eFestivals on the main glastonbury 2017 page you haven't mentioned that Foo Fighters are confirmed yet in the lineup bit http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2017 - it says "Radiohead are confirmed to headline on Friday night, and Kris Kristofferson is confirmed to play the Pyramid stage on the Friday. No other acts are confirmed yet." you might want to change that

15 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

by the way @eFestivals on the main glastonbury 2017 page you haven't mentioned that Foo Fighters are confirmed yet in the lineup bit http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2017 - it says "Radiohead are confirmed to headline on Friday night, and Kris Kristofferson is confirmed to play the Pyramid stage on the Friday. No other acts are confirmed yet." you might want to change that

doh, thanks.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

there's a lot of goodwill, but it's far from solid enough to be suitable for the business assurances I have to give.

Just as a simple example, there's been some massive spam attacks here in the last 24 hours, and only two people reported one of them.

That reminds me - I went to report it (or one of them at least), but I can't find the "report poster" button on the profile page anymore.. What's the preferred mechanism these days, or am I just going blind? It it just a case of reporting individual posts?

4 minutes ago, incident said:

That reminds me - I went to report it (or one of them at least), but I can't find the "report poster" button on the profile page anymore.. What's the preferred mechanism these days, or am I just going blind? It it just a case of reporting individual posts?

if you're using a desktop, there's a 'report post' link at the top of every post.

If you're using a mobile, there's a little flag at the top of every post which is the 'report post' feature.

Simples. :)

I don't for a second think we'd be enough to save the business, but might be able to make your life a little easier.  The above example is a good one - I'd gladly take a moderator role, to respond to the spam attacks - delete the posts, ban the users+IPs - or whatever your process is.  I never used to report the spam attacks, until about a year ago when you gently pointed out the obvious - that the forum members should really be reporting the spam.  I now report them immediately every time, but wasn't online for the last one. 

Of course, that's reliant on the forum software supporting an intermediary moderator level user without going the whole hog of making a full admin like yourself, at least in a way that's not more hassle than it's worth.  Understandably,  you'd be hesitant to give full rights to an unpaid volunteer.

I'm not naive enough to think this would have a huge impact, but if we can lighten the load, even if it doesn't have a real commercial impact, it'd be a pleasure :)

Right, I'll drop it now.  Back to announcements ;)

I did report one. But last time I reported multiple spam posts you gave me a slap on the wrist for reporting too many times :P

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't for a second think we'd be enough to save the business, but might be able to make your life a little easier.  The above example is a good one - I'd gladly take a moderator role, to respond to the spam attacks - delete the posts, ban the users+IPs - or whatever your process is.

what I said wasn't about 'saving the business', but about fulfilling the commitments and requirements of the business - which deleting spam is part of, but only a very small part of, and not a part that takes any meaningful load off me.

Taking load off me requires a full-time commitment, and an absolute commitment ... and of course, I don't expect anyone to take on that commitment for nowt (which is all that could be afforded), because it's unlikely to be the commitment that's necessary.