Plan to avoid traffic chaos if it is a wet one

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Since when is there such a thing as 7am on the Saturday?

7am on a Saturday is the perfect time to sit in one's tent porch with a cup of tea, a piece of cake and a party cigarette before keeling backwards and commencing snoring.

1 hour ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Id say we`re due another hot one if nothing else....2010 levels? or was that over the top? (wasnt there that year, videos look awesome but the heat bearing down all week may have made that less so in person)

Personally I loved 2010.  Yes it was hot as balls, but plenty of water and seeking bits of shade was the key.  If you're the type that spends every minute of every day at an open stage, only moving to see another band at another open stage, then I can see it being a but much. If you're wandering in and out of places, no worries :)

31 minutes ago, Quark said:

7am on a Saturday is the perfect time to sit in one's tent porch with a cup of tea, a piece of cake and a party cigarette before keeling backwards and commencing snoring.

or the perfect time to get on down to the compost loos to expel the previous nights grease/booze/whatever ingested before the line starts picking up and your waiting half hour to go by 8-9am lol

36 minutes ago, Quark said:

4 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

or the perfect time to get on down to the compost loos to expel the previous nights grease/booze/whatever ingested before the line starts picking up and your waiting half hour to go by 8-9am lol

Sadly the bones are getting old and worn out and anything much after sunrise is now too much for me unless I write off the entire day after.

Thinking about it though I am often up and at the loos early, I just don't check the time.

I tried many anti-aging pills I found on Ebay but all they did was make me grow hair where hair should not grow ;)

I have therefore resigned myself to only being able to party hard from noon til 3am, but hell, part hard I shall.

2 hours ago, Untz said:

The whingebags that complain about dust.

Hopefully they weren't impacted too much with the dust last year.

I'd take dust any day with the option of being able to sit on the ground where I like. Even damp ground I can take, cause you can sit a mat down. There was just nowhere to do that all last year though :( 

32 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I'd take dust any day with the option of being able to sit on the ground where I like. Even damp ground I can take, cause you can sit a mat down. There was just nowhere to do that all last year though :( 

spot on, such a simple thing as being able to sit down in the sunshine makes the festival so much better.....I was quite annoyed last year I never got the chance to go up park hill, sit down and look over the site with a couple of cans taking it all in on the Wednesday afternoon after arriving, that had become a ritual.

On 25.1.2017 at 4:05 PM, The Nal said:

Lots did. A mate left from London on the coach at the same time I left Taunton and he was in 5 hours before me. The c**t.

I had to spend 12+ hours on the bus with a driver who played this song over and over again (and yes, when it suddenly opened up with 5 miles to go everyone sang along): 

On 24/01/2017 at 11:08 PM, Brock Landers said:

Our coach was sent there (mistakenly?) along with a bunch of other coaches in 2015. It was utter chaos and the lack of organisation on hand was disturbing. We got there at 7am on the weds morning and had to queue in scorching heat until about 13:00pm. Loads of people started losing their shit (lack of water plus sobering up from the journey down then minimal movement in the queue) and I remember thinking at one point that, that was me done with any Glasto's for the future.

If people do have to go there next year then I hope the festival has their shit together this time, fucking nightmare though. I still get stressed even thinking about it!.

Why did people sober up?

The one thing you have plenty of on the way there is booze

21 hours ago, Smeble said:

Um ok, sorry how's that not queue jumping?

Queue jumping is bypassing the queue completely and just "jumping" in the front it, this is merely moving faster then others in the queue which we have  joined at the back with everyone else, life and time stands still for no one....

Edited by Fladog

• 1 month later...

I don't know how I managed it, but last year I drove down at Wednesday lunchtime from London. I swear I saw very few cars and was in the (WV) carpark in less that 3 hours from London. I then heard about this nightmare traffic, totally confused by it.

It could have been that I followed my satnav, but I didn't see any signs telling me to go another way either? Really odd, but amazing.

1 hour ago, justtinw said:

I don't know how I managed it, but last year I drove down at Wednesday lunchtime from London. I swear I saw very few cars and was in the (WV) carpark in less that 3 hours from London. I then heard about this nightmare traffic, totally confused by it.

It could have been that I followed my satnav, but I didn't see any signs telling me to go another way either? Really odd, but amazing.

I think the major traffic was on the east side around blue gate and the camper van fields, WV is on the west side, so although I have no idea if it was affected or not, as I was caught up in the traffic trying to get into blue gate, I imagine being on the opposite side of the site to the major issue meant it was least affected, if at all.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think the major traffic was on the east side around blue gate and the camper van fields, WV is on the west side, so although I have no idea if it was affected or not, as I was caught up in the traffic trying to get into blue gate, I imagine being on the opposite side of the site to the major issue meant it was least affected, if at al.

That was the impression I had for about 4am that morning - setting off from exeter I'd normally go a303 and end up on the east side, but went up the m5 first.  Managed to make it past Glastonbury fine, then several hours of traffic over that side, I'm guessing because things were generally backed up in all directions at that point / a general effort to divert things from the east side over to the west?  Not sure but maybe there's a way from A303 onto whatever route worthy view uses that was coping fine by that stage...