Did you ever see David Bowie live

Spiritinthesky

Did you ever see David Bowie live?

We are working on a new book called - David Bowie  - I Was There - and we are looking for fans memories of seeing David live in concert.

If you did, please tell us about it here or email jnc2707@gmail.com

We need as much info as possible, date, where, how old you were and anything else you can tell us about the show!

It can be 50 words or 2,000!

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Spiritinthesky

6 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Once at Birmingham NEC in 2003 on the Reality tour (his last tour I think).

He was brilliant. Really glad I got to see him before he died.

I also saw him at the NEC, but it would have been much earlier than 2003. I was so far back in the crowd that Bowie appeared as a little dot on the stage - at least that's what my memory tells me. I can't recall it being in anyway enjoyable. I missed him at Glastonbury one year. Now that was a real big mistake.

Milton Keynes Bowl 1990ish.  Bowie was supported by The Men They Couldn't Hang, Gene Loves Jesabel & Fields of the Nephilim, if I remember right.

It was a boiling hot day and there were massive queues for the water taps.

The view of the stage was okay during the support bands, cos everyone was sitting down.  When Bowie came on everyone stood up and moved forward, and we found ourselves behind a massive hump in the ground that made it impossible to see anything over the heads of the people in front, plus the crowd was rammed, so we couldn't move forward at all.

We ended up going to stand on a hump near the back of the bowl, where we could at least see the stage, although, at that distance, Bowie was just a tiny ant - which was hugely dissappointing!

Did I enjoy the show?  I can't honestly remember.  Although, it definitely wouldn't go down as one of the highlights of my gig-going experiences ......

June 1983 Serous Moonlight Tour at Wembley Arena. Was ok, but not life changing - I was sitting miles away half way along the side and near the top so that may have had something to do with it.

On the plus side that was the experience that means that since then i have refused to buy a seated ticket at any large venue unless you can easily get onto the standing area.

Edited by tjamest

First time was at Wembley Stadium aged 17 on the Glass Spider tour.  I was about a third of the way back (level with the sound deck) and my main memory was it was a massive crush and he didn't play much I knew.  All in all it was a thoroughly disappointing experience.

Second time was at Glastonbury 2000.  Despite the crowds, I was very near the front and it still remains my best gig experience ever.  I remember he came on and told us we all looked like lucky people tonight, then launched into a crowdpleasing setlist of greatest hits.  Everyone around me was totally loved up at what they were witnessing (there was a fair amount of dope being passed around, to be fair), and it remains the only time I've ever snogged a random stranger at a gig.  He didn't play Space Oddity though :(

• 2 weeks later...