2017 Get Fit Thread

Kay95

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still off the booze, attending AA. Feel focused, much healthier, and even cut the caffeine right down.

You will be surprised just how much of an effect caffeine can have.

The festival itself will be a challenge with the whole drink thing but not going to put the pressure of no alcohol on it. As long as it doesn't turn into that episode of peep show when it is Super Hans's Stag do.

Still taking the stairs at Angel station too.

Edited by joeltg

On 2/24/2017 at 5:24 PM, Funkyfairy! said:

17lb down this year, and still going strong ! Skiing the week after next will probably put that back on with beer, hot wine, and tartiflette consumption !

amazing stuff well done! 

9 minutes ago, joeltg said:

You will be surprised just how much of an effect caffeine can have.

talk to me about the effect of caffeine? I was labouring under the impression that it helped increase the amount of exercise you could do....

upped my average steps to 13k per day including a couple of 3 to 5 mile runs per week.  also still walking an hour each day to/from work. Still no weight loss, but I am watching the calorie intake so hopefully its all turning to muscle....:blink:

46 minutes ago, Kay95 said:

talk to me about the effect of caffeine? I was labouring under the impression that it helped increase the amount of exercise you could do....

Kay, I was finding it was making me feel too restless and anxious. Wasn't sleeping well, I guess that was the case with alcohol also.

So in terms of that, I have definitely felt better for it. But can definitely see why people use it to be more active.

On 24/02/2017 at 5:04 PM, loveansley said:

I love this post, I thought I was in the minority of people who tried to loose weight for Glastonbury! I've recently moved back from Dubai where it was so easy to loose weight and have pretty much hibernated in a box of Camembert over the winter. Off to Amsterdam this weekend so fitness will be far from my mind…after that I’ll be completely committed to joining you all on a fitness journey J Mostly because I tend to camp on Hitchin Hill and that hill walk at 3am will do anyone in!! Some great advice here, good luck to everyone and be great to hear your results. If all else fails at least we can put our fitness to good use with the bike powered smoothies in the Green Fields J Good Luck!

What was that like? I've heard so many mixed stories from people who lived there for a while. My other half's uncle loved it, but his wife despised it. Ironically, she was the reason they were out there in the first place. But then he is the biggest kid I've ever seen so obviously loved the fact he could drive around in a hummer all day.

Its the class/priviledge structure that scares the shit out of me over there. Don't think I could ever handle it and have made that abundantly clear to the missus to not get any ideas.

Back on the fitness side of things. Its going alright for me. Still struggling with my neck at times (i managed to pull first the left side and then the right once the left had improved last week), but I find it actually worsens if I have a couple of days of not doing any exercise so have started doing 40 mins in the gym every lunch break now - the benefit of this is that it means I have to make my luches for the week to have in the office and not go get meal deals all week. I'm also slowly cutting down the sugar intake I have - I'm a sucker for chocolate so am considering doing a month chocolate free for march.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Some good progress and inspiration in this thread! I used to be a postie so I was relatively fit all year round, well fit enough to walk for hours on end with weight on my back at least. Now I've been sat at a desk for 3 years and was gradually getting more unfit after only sporadic burst of exercise for 2-3 weeks at a time.

I've been making a real effort this last 6 weeks just to improve my general fitness and lose a few lb's. I've been weight training 4 times a week along with 2-3 cardio sessions, sometimes spinning and 5 a side football. I've noticed a real difference already, aside from losing a few lb's, I'm sleeping better and just feel better in myself all round. I've even been prepping my lunches for work which has the added bonus of helping me save money :D

I don't drink at all in the week but I'm trying to cut down on Saturday binging as this tends to happen quite a lot. As much as I say I'll be staying in, come Saturday afternoon/evening I find it's very hard to stay put!:lol:

Hopefully come June I'll be flying and the trekking around site will be a doddle!

Hit the stone milestone last week but I have just been on annual leave and being at home doesn't help my willpower! Lots of gorging so I expect I'll have put on a lb or two when I step on the scale tomorrow.

Not feeling much benefit at the moment as I'm doing a similar amount of exercise as I always have done so I don't feel much different. Losing the extra blubber is definitely a plus point though!

22 hours ago, mjsell said:

What was that like? I've heard so many mixed stories from people who lived there for a while. My other half's uncle loved it, but his wife despised it. Ironically, she was the reason they were out there in the first place. But then he is the biggest kid I've ever seen so obviously loved the fact he could drive around in a hummer all day.

Its the class/priviledge structure that scares the shit out of me over there. Don't think I could ever handle it and have made that abundantly clear to the missus to not get any ideas.

Back on the fitness side of things. Its going alright for me. Still struggling with my neck at times (i managed to pull first the left side and then the right once the left had improved last week), but I find it actually worsens if I have a couple of days of not doing any exercise so have started doing 40 mins in the gym every lunch break now - the benefit of this is that it means I have to make my luches for the week to have in the office and not go get meal deals all week. I'm also slowly cutting down the sugar intake I have - I'm a sucker for chocolate so am considering doing a month chocolate free for march.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

I was only there for a year so I can’t comment too much, but it’s really not how it is portrayed in the media at all, of course there are horror stories but day to day life amongst the Expat community is the same as it is here…. It’s just A LOT hotter! Summer was not fun. I did miss being in a ‘green’ environment (In the way of nature and the terrible, terrible lack of recycling etc. which was very hard to cope with) and I missed the rain!!! I completely agree with the class structure…another issue I found very, very hard and I don’t think I would ever become numb to. I met people who hated it and others who were there for life. I think if you are there with a financial goal, have fun in the meantime and you find a good group of likeminded supportive friends out there it makes all the difference but it can only take you so far when…hence coming back to the UK!  

Good for you with lunchtime gym sessions, I guess that way it’s not hanging over your head & you can enjoy your evenings J Have you tried yoga or physio for your neck? I understand what you mean about the meal deals too, so that’s great you’re making lunches (& saving a small fortune in the meantime) I’m a little jaded from Amsterdam so I’ll be getting back on it tomorrow once I’ve made it through my first day back at work…wish me luck!  My main goal is to lose a bit of Christmas weight and be able to enjoy 5 days of booze and amazing food (mostly the roasts in a Yorkshire pudding by the Pyramid stage) relatively guilt free!! Good luck with no chocolate for lent - you clearly have more willpower than I do!  

I have been rubbish.  Combination of my back giving me trouble (I knew going back to rugby was an error! :lol: ) and being under the cosh at work has meant I'm missing gym sessions and eating crap.

Hopefully by the end of this week both of those things should be sorted, so back on it again.

Good work on the milestone @Andeeroo

I want to get a bit stronger for Glasto to help with the Wednesday walk and general standing for hours on end watching bands. Sitting on my arse at work all day doesn't help with core strength. I went through a bit of phase doing press-ups every day, but that's fallen off. Need to get back in to it!!

Running is going pretty well at the moment, so hopefully fitness will be alright by June.

Good luck with all your targets everyone, it's pretty inspiring. Tips about cooking dinners for the week ahead is a good one, and saves me paying a fortune for unhealthy food everyday. Anyone got any recommendations for good lunchtime meals? I'm going through a bit of jerk chicken salad phase at the moment.

15 minutes ago, big__phil said:

I want to get a bit stronger for Glasto to help with the Wednesday walk and general standing for hours on end watching bands. Sitting on my arse at work all day doesn't help with core strength. I went through a bit of phase doing press-ups every day, but that's fallen off. Need to get back in to it!!

Running is going pretty well at the moment, so hopefully fitness will be alright by June.

Good luck with all your targets everyone, it's pretty inspiring. Tips about cooking dinners for the week ahead is a good one, and saves me paying a fortune for unhealthy food everyday. Anyone got any recommendations for good lunchtime meals? I'm going through a bit of jerk chicken salad phase at the moment.

Ah now. My absolute go-to at the moment is a mixed lentil and chickpea dhal with spinach and brown rice.  Tasty enough to not get too dull (if you like Indian food!), good quantity of veg in the spinach and onions, and plenty of protein in the lentils, chickpeas and split peas to keep you full.

Easy to cook up a big enough batch to make 5 lunches as well. Happy to share the recipe if you want it :)

EDIT - this is assuming access to a microwave.  I'd also put a good mixed bean chilli in the mix as another option.

Edited by Quark

18 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ah now. My absolute go-to at the moment is a mixed lentil and chickpea dhal with spinach and brown rice.  Tasty enough to not get too dull (if you like Indian food!), good quantity of veg in the spinach and onions, and plenty of protein in the lentils, chickpeas and split peas to keep you full.

Easy to cook up a big enough batch to make 5 lunches as well. Happy to share the recipe if you want it :)

EDIT - this is assuming access to a microwave.  I'd also put a good mixed bean chilli in the mix as another option.

Yes please! Here's the jerk chicken: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/jerk-chicken-mango-bowl

34 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Yes please! Here's the jerk chicken: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/jerk-chicken-mango-bowl

No worries.  I find this makes enough for 5 portions, so each one fills your standard Chinese takeaway tub.

125g red lentils & 125g yellow split peas (soak for an hour if you can, rinse until water is clear), 2 cartons / tins chickpeas (drained), 900ml boiling water, approx 400g (?) frozen spinach (defrosted in microwave, drained & squeezed out), 2 medium/large onions (halved and sliced), 1tsp turmeric, 1tsp garam masala, 1/4tsp mustard seeds, 1/4tsp black onion seeds, 1/4tsp cumin seeds, 1/4tsp fennel seeds, 3 cardamom pods (crushed slightly so they open up), 2 or 3 dried chillis, 4 tbsp groundnut oil.

Drop the lentils & split peas in the boiling water and bring back to the boil for about 5 minutes.  Drop the heat down to medium low and add the turmeric.  Cover and let it cook for about 30 minutes, adding the chickpeas after about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally so it doesn't stick.  I like mine quite thick, but top the water up if you like it a bit thinner. Towards the end start stirring with a wire whisk to break up the lentils.

While that's going on fry the onions on a low heat with the garam masala.  I like to cover the pan so the onions part fry/part steam so they're soft.  Again, stir so they don't burn.

Once the lentils are cooked add the onions and the spinach, and keep on the low heat with the lid off.

Last bit heat the last 2tbsp of oil on a medium low heat, then add the mustard, cumin, fennel and onion seeds, the cardamom and the dried chillis.  Cook them in the oil until they start popping, making sure they don't start catching or burning, then pour the oil and spices into the lentils.  Stir the whole thing together well, and voila.

I use about 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice per portion, and if you've got a decent sharp chutney a dollop of that goes well too :)

Edited by Quark

Lost 10.4 lbs, haven't lost anything this week, but not getting dishearten :) I'm feeling better, my trousers are fitting better (and I might even have to go for a work clothing shop)

Thanks for the recipe @Quark - I'm quite the fussy eater which is strange because I love food. I am getting much better though but still haven't found it in my heart to like peas.

4 minutes ago, sheffieldlady said:

Lost 10.4 lbs, haven't lost anything this week, but not getting dishearten :) I'm feeling better, my trousers are fitting better (and I might even have to go for a work clothing shop)

Thanks for the recipe @Quark - I'm quite the fussy eater which is strange because I love food. I am getting much better though but still haven't found it in my heart to like peas.

Good work!  The yellow split peas don't really register as peas, which is good!  But you could replace it with any kind of "meatier" lentil or bean, or even just double up on the red lentils.  About texture as much as anything else :)

EDIT - if you're not like me and can't face the same lunch every day, it also freezes well!

Edited by Quark

Excellent work everyone!

I've been eating a LOT of Thai curries for my lunches. I used to make my own red curry paste which was a bit of a faff, but recently discovered an amazing pre-made one in a Chinese supermarket in Brighton.

It makes it so easy to cook - table spoon of paste in a frying pan with a touch of oil, heat it through, then add coconut milk - can use low fat if you like, just make sure no sugar has been added.

Add your chicken/tofu/veg and simmer gently for 15 mins, and done, lunches for the week = sorted.

I also add a couple of mugs' worth of veg stock to thin out the coconut milk a bit - makes it go further and less thick.

Tastes identical to what you get in a restaurant, and if you have with brown rice, it's pretty healthy too. I eat fairly high fat/low carb, so I will have a lot of the sauce and veg etc, but only 50g of cooked rice per serving, which is hardly any. But tasty enough to keep me happy during lunches.

Highly recommend for spicy food lovers.

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I'd give this thread a bump seeing as it's been a while since I posted in it. Plus ive posted in the food one quite a few times today.....

Lost lost around 26lb in the last couple of months, but had a shaky couple of weeks. Been off the booze until a couple of weeks ago, when I had a mad weekend followed by another big Friday following. Have eaten pretty shitly the last couple of weeks too, not as bad as I was before but still no means great.

Was doing very well in visiting the gym twice a week (treadmill only), plus cricket and football once each per week. But last week or two my knee has given me tremendous grief when I've been on the treadmill, stopped after 5 minutes last week and only lasted 20 today. It might not be too much to worry about but with the cricket season about to start I'm not going to take the risk.

Now I've started posting on here a bit more regularly might see if I can keep some sort of fortnightly weight loss diary or something to keep me in check.

Hopefully the line up poster will help me keep focused towards my goal, I want to lose another 30lb before the start of the festival!

Quit smoking last September and gained two stones feeding on rubbish. The upside is I quit. But I was already two some overweight. Anyway after a long talk with myself I have quit sugary food and been generally more alert to what and when I eat. Since February I have lost 22 pounds, so nearly back to square one. Feeling proud of myself. Hopefully I'll shed another 1.5 stones by mid June 

I will be coming back to this thread in about a month, for inspiration as I start to cycle to the new job. Hopefully I will have begun a habit in time for Winter but will have had at least a month before the festival to get fitter too.

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

About to start last week of couch to 5k. Still a fattish bastard but I won't change my diet or booze intake so that won't change. Ran 28 minutes 3 times last week and would have been lucky to make 10 6 or 7 weeks ago so quite happy at minute.

Just sick of legs being mush by glasto Sunday. Not bothered about the belly but wanna be able to go for longer. 

Oh boy...

Finbarrs aside, good work Scruff :)

I've had 2 weeks of going back to spin class, and now that hours have settled down at work I can get back on the bike to work more and have my morning gym routine back instead of early starts.

By the time the summer comes round I shall be a machine capable of carrying my full complement of booze without even breaking sweat!