2017 Get Fit Thread

Kay95

19 hours ago, koj said:

I wasn't planning to be at the festival in 2017 but following resale yesterday I'm in and I need to get in shape.

Want to match my 2016 weight - 14st 10lb - and feel as fit as I did then.

I'm 15st 8lb when I weighed myself on Thursday so 12lb to lose in about 9 weeks which is just about achievable for me, almost exactly what I did last year.

Cutting calories is the way for me. I go to the gym 6 days a week which doesn't do any harm but I've found through experience that managing what I eat pushes my weight down.

I lost about 3 stone with Slimming World a couple of years ago but I lapsed my membership, I'm now intending to go back. Paying really focuses my mind! Laying off the demon drink too will help.

Weekly updates I hope.

Drink is a weight demon, but I always find that the run up isn't the time to cut down... you want to make sure you've still got the tolerance! 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

Played squash last week for the first time in about 4 months. A couple of days after I could barely put my socks on - a sorry state. Playing again tomorrow night, and hopefully weekly until the festival. The first is always the worst....

So so good for you squash, bloody love it. And im pretty average.

Did you know that you burn the most calories per minute than in any other sport.

I've been struggling with my knee the last few weeks. so have been going swimming instead of anything else. And still working hard in the garden, which now I'm over the initial shock, I think is actually helping my back out - stringthening the muscles that do jack shit at work.

20 hours ago, mjsell said:

So so good for you squash, bloody love it. And im pretty average.

Easy there, Sampras! I'm shit. Good fun though.

21 hours ago, p.pete said:

I'm trying to build up my bladder's fitness - staying away from the loo within the first couple of hours of getting up most days

Careful; that's a good way to give yourself a bladder infection.

I have cycled to work and back twice this week, 11 miles each day, and should be able to do 3-4 days per week like this. I'm not sure about being able to lose weight as I'm not really watching what I eat or drink, but at least I'll be able to be fitter whilst yomping between stages.

5 minutes ago, StevieMcK said:

I've got the Stirling Marathon 3 weeks on Sunday and I've just foolishly agreed to take a friends place in the Edinburgh Marathon 7 days later.

If I can survive them, then walking 50-60 miles around the farm over the space of 5 days, will seem like nothing!

Inspirational!!

I want to do another full Marathon. How's your training going?

1 hour ago, Sweet_pea said:

Inspirational!!

I want to do another full Marathon. How's your training going?

Touch wood its been ok.  I've ticked my 20 mile run off and have a 18 mile run this weekend, then its time to taper.

It hasn't really done anything for my weight, as I've now got leg muscles like tree trunks that haul around 15.5st, but that was never the intention.

The thing thats scaring me is a 30 mile Ultra I've signed up to, three weeks after the festival.  I'll be training right up to the 19th June, but its going to be those first couple of runs afterwards that give me the fear!

Newbie to this thread, I just thought I'd share my story.  Unfortunately I had a heart attack on 31/03/2017 and to cut a long story short, was lying in a hospital bed come ticket balance payment day!  After a long chat with my wife we decided I wasn't to be going - somebody got lucky in the resale thanks to my misfortune.

I'mm 44, 6ft and (was) 16st - overweight, but not massively so - you wouldn't call me 'fat' to look at me, but I was carrying too much timber.

I've always been generally active, 5yrs ago I ran a half marathon in just over 2hrs, played 5-a-s-side once a week, used to do the occasional sprint triathlon for fun, love cycling - ride my bike everywhere I can. I wasn't ever a gym fan, but did enough to keep my heart pumping. On the downside, I like a drink and love going to loads of gigs (although had cut down on both a lot since January this year) and my diet could be a lot better - too much processed food/ready meals etc. 

Four and a half years ago I got married, moved in together, started trying for a baby (took a while) and two years ago we had a son. He's awesome, love him to bits, but like all babies takes up a lot of what used to be 'me'  time.  I'm not blaming him - it's my fault entirely - but I just stopped exercising, all that kind of thing just dropped off the radar.  I work in IT, either from home or an office that I drive to, and just found that unwittingly I had become totally sedentary, and a couch potato in the evenings due to not going out so much. That has been my biggest lifestyle change - I just stopped being properly active.

So, one afternoon at home I find myself short of breath, friend called an ambulance, I was admitted to Cardiac Care at the Royal Berkshire Hospital (who were amazing) and next day had a stent fitted to one of my coronary arteries which was on the point of closure.

I'm recuperating now (I actually feel as fit as a fiddle) but my wife who doesn't enjoy Glastonbury because of it being too big is really nervous about me dying alone in my tent, so although I feel fine, I don't want her sat at home worried all weekend, so have had to reluctantly give it a miss.  Good to see that people are taking their fitness seriously, I will be too in future and hope to be back in 2019!

I'll miss it - really miss it - was really looking forward to seeing the Foo Fighters, The National and British Sea Power, but them's the breaks.  Having another heart attack and dying at Glasto is probably worth a thousand rock and roll points, but not really in the long term interests of my wife and son.

Enjoy it, you lucky people, I'll be watching on TV!   

Just now, LowerMead said:

Newbie to this thread, I just thought I'd share my story.  Unfortunately I had a heart attack on 31/03/2017 and to cut a long story short, was lying in a hospital bed come ticket balance payment day!  After a long chat with my wife we decided I wasn't to be going - somebody got lucky in the resale thanks to my misfortune.

I'mm 44, 6ft and (was) 16st - overweight, but not massively so - you wouldn't call me 'fat' to look at me, but I was carrying too much timber.

I've always been generally active, 5yrs ago I ran a half marathon in just over 2hrs, played 5-a-s-side once a week, used to do the occasional sprint triathlon for fun, love cycling - ride my bike everywhere I can. I wasn't ever a gym fan, but did enough to keep my heart pumping. On the downside, I like a drink and love going to loads of gigs (although had cut down on both a lot since January this year) and my diet could be a lot better - too much processed food/ready meals etc. 

Four and a half years ago I got married, moved in together, started trying for a baby (took a while) and two years ago we had a son. He's awesome, love him to bits, but like all babies takes up a lot of what used to be 'me'  time.  I'm not blaming him - it's my fault entirely - but I just stopped exercising, all that kind of thing just dropped off the radar.  I work in IT, either from home or an office that I drive to, and just found that unwittingly I had become totally sedentary, and a couch potato in the evenings due to not going out so much. That has been my biggest lifestyle change - I just stopped being properly active.

So, one afternoon at home I find myself short of breath, friend called an ambulance, I was admitted to Cardiac Care at the Royal Berkshire Hospital (who were amazing) and next day had a stent fitted to one of my coronary arteries which was on the point of closure.

I'm recuperating now (I actually feel as fit as a fiddle) but my wife who doesn't enjoy Glastonbury because of it being too big is really nervous about me dying alone in my tent, so although I feel fine, I don't want her sat at home worried all weekend, so have had to reluctantly give it a miss.  Good to see that people are taking their fitness seriously, I will be too in future and hope to be back in 2019!

I'll miss it - really miss it - was really looking forward to seeing the Foo Fighters, The National and British Sea Power, but them's the breaks.  Having another heart attack and dying at Glasto is probably worth a thousand rock and roll points, but not really in the long term interests of my wife and son.

Enjoy it, you lucky people, I'll be watching on TV!   

Sorry to hear this, wishing you the speediest of recoveries and the most amazing Glastonbury 2019.

23 hours ago, LowerMead said:

Four and a half years ago I got married, moved in together, started trying for a baby (took a while) and two years ago we had a son. He's awesome, love him to bits, but like all babies takes up a lot of what used to be 'me'  time.  I'm not blaming him - it's my fault entirely - but I just stopped exercising, all that kind of thing just dropped off the radar.  

Difficult with young children, obvs they have to take priority. I did no exercise other than an occasional walk to work for 10 years after my 3 were born.

I couldn't do the fitness regime I do now 3 years ago when I had to be with them at home. As they have got older I have been able to do more.

Wishing you all the best with recovery - put the TV in the doorway and sit watching it outdoors, rain or shine...

This week: 70k on the rowing machine, 2hrs on the treadmill plus walking to work and with dog each day and I gained a pound!

Perhaps my daughter starting work in local bakery and being given copious amounts of unsold bread hasn't helped...

Never mind I am certainly feeling fitter. I'll keep trying this week.

9 minutes ago, koj said:

This week: 70k on the rowing machine, 2hrs on the treadmill plus walking to work and with dog each day and I gained a pound!

Perhaps my daughter starting work in local bakery and being given copious amounts of unsold bread hasn't helped...

All that bread's probably gone to your shoulders!

8 minutes ago, koj said:

Bread isn't great for diets, so that's probably it. Sounds like you're doing plenty of exercise though, good work! Do you prefer running on treadmills? Get outside if you can, it's better for the ankles to not run on flat ground all the time. Plus there's more to look at outside!

I've been slowly upping my press-ups, hopefully my core will be a bit stronger as a result come the end of June.

14 minutes ago, koj said:

Just now, big__phil said:

Bread isn't great for diets, so that's probably it. Sounds like you're doing plenty of exercise though, good work! Do you prefer running on treadmills? Get outside if you can, it's better for the ankles to not run on flat ground all the time. Plus there's more to look at outside!

I've been slowly upping my press-ups, hopefully my core will be a bit stronger as a result come the end of June.

Yeah weight is not the only factor in getting fit. I'd rather stay the same weight and be fitter than lose a load and be weak as shit. That amount of exercise is only going to help you in the long run koj.

I find running on a treadmill one of the most boring things in the world. Just can't do it. Saying that I find running in general very boring. Give me a ball to chase any day of the week (Matron!). Also outside might be better for the ankles, but its killer on the knees. Best to run on grass and not pavement if you are outside and struggle with your knees like I do, slightly more give. When I ran a half marathon I was physically fine by the end (if a little shattered) but my knees had gone with around 3 miles to go.

2 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Also outside might be better for the ankles, but its killer on the knees. Best to run on grass and not pavement if you are outside and struggle with your knees like I do, slightly more give. When I ran a half marathon I was physically fine by the end (if a little shattered) but my knees had gone with around 3 miles to go.

Yeah, it's only a matter of time until my knees give up. I try to run in grass as often as I can, but in the winter there's often little choice but to run on pavement. Having said that, a decent pair of sneaks can make the world of difference.

Well done for the running the half marathon!