2017 Get Fit Thread

Kay95

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

Ah man, that sucks. How did you do it? Just mid game with no contact from anyone?

Whats your estimated recovery time? If its any concilation a close mate tore/ruptured an ankle tendon pretty badly in October and managed to recover and work up enough fitness to do an Inca trail trek up to Machu Picchui in Peru by Febuary. He really dedicated himself to his rehab for it. and managed to cut his estimated recovery by about 2/3 weeks. And now he really understands the benefits of certain stretches and exercises to help prevent injuries

Rolled it and then contact from someone else pushed it further away from where it should have gone.. heard it go straightaway and knew immediately the marathon was gone (I can defer to 2018 though which is a silver lining) also made me grateful I hadn't done it close to glasto. I know never to play football close to T Day now. 

Fair play to your mate - impressive going! I'd like to be able to walk unaided within a month and then gradually build the strength back up so that i can do a triathlon I've entered in mid may back home in cov. We'll see though.. all baby steps atm!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

Now the evenings are lovely and light, I really need to get out running after work. If I don't go straight away, I really struggle to motivate myself to go at all. Going to try and do a few press ups as well and get my mid-section stronger for the carrying of stuff on Wednesday.

Well done to everyone with their various efforts! Remember everyone, a fitter Glastonbury is happier Glastonbury!

I need to work on this too - heard someone mention it helps with being stood watching / waiting for bands too.  My back always starts to complain when I'm stood on my feet for too long, so will try do something to help this

9 minutes ago, p.pete said:

I need to work on this too - heard someone mention it helps with being stood watching / waiting for bands too.  My back always starts to complain when I'm stood on my feet for too long, so will try do something to help this

Stretches, stretches and more stretches.

Yoga, pilates and all that jazz. Basically work and strengthen those muscles in your back, shoulders and core that you barely ever do during normal day to day life - especially important if you have an office job like I do.

I've started doing country walks in the South Downs recently. Up to about 8 miles this weekend, with so far no ill effects. I also have a 'Just 6 weeks' app that is meant to be great for building up one's core but I've yet to get it started but I'm determined to tonight. All in aid of making the whole weekend easier, especially the walk to and from the car.

19 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Squats/lunges with a bar on your shoulders not in the Smith Machine will strengthen your core. 

Thanks @mjsell @No Cars Go it's frustrating when I've previously been trying so hard but I reckon swimming will do the job and keep up the healthy eating.  Just need to not push myself too much before I'm ready and make sure I'm ready for walking round the site. I do have a long walk in a few weeks booked in which will hopefully ease me into it 

6 hours ago, clarkete said:

Over thirty plus years that's one of the hardest for stepping through the sticky stuff, it's not usually like that thankfully. 

That's definitely good to know...but I figure if i plan for the worst I'll be delighted by the best- it's going to be sunny and warm this year I know!

20 minutes ago, Quark said:

Except when done as about 80% of people seem to do them.  Makes me shudder.

Haha well yes, some people try to do good mornings instead of deadlifts.... A proper deadlift is a wonderful thing. Hard, but rewarding. I deadlift 130kg+ for sets at the moment, my strength all around has increased from it. You use all your body and but your metabolism into over drive. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Except when done as about 80% of people seem to do them.  Makes me shudder.

41 minutes ago, Havors said:

Haha well yes, some people try to do good mornings instead of deadlifts.... A proper deadlift is a wonderful thing. Hard, but rewarding. I deadlift 130kg+ for sets at the moment, my strength all around has increased from it. You use all your body and but your metabolism into over drive. 

Not going to lie, dead lifts still give me the heebie jeebies and I was scared of them when I first started, but you learn and adjust as long as the starting weight is a) low enough and b) you get into the habit of proper form from the low weights.

3 minutes ago, Slavivlad said:

Not going to lie, dead lifts still give me the heebie jeebies and I was scared of them when I first started, but you learn and adjust as long as the starting weight is a) low enough and B) you get into the habit of proper form from the low weights.

Yeah, getting the form right is important. The weight will progress before you know it... it really does make you stronger all round though. 

On 4/4/2017 at 2:41 PM, Slavivlad said:

Not going to lie, dead lifts still give me the heebie jeebies and I was scared of them when I first started, but you learn and adjust as long as the starting weight is a) low enough and B) you get into the habit of proper form from the low weights.

True for all exercises.  Sucks if you've been out for a while and have to drop the weight back down and start again from scratch, but it's better to swallow your pride and lift small than to get it wrong and either bugger yourself up or just not get the full benefit.

Very lucky to be able to use worthy farm as my daily run route. I now know the railway track is exactly 0.8 miles from end to end. The hills behind the stone circle and park are a barsteward. It's not flat from Williams green to the railway track. 

But it's dry and dusty at the moment. Will trundle down there tonight for a few loops. The good thing is I can remember times at past festivals as I pass the spot where they happened. It helps the miles go by.

8 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Very lucky to be able to use worthy farm as my daily run route. I now know the railway track is exactly 0.8 miles from end to end. The hills behind the stone circle and park are a barsteward. It's not flat from Williams green to the railway track. 

But it's dry and dusty at the moment. Will trundle down there tonight for a few loops. The good thing is I can remember times at past festivals as I pass the spot where they happened. It helps the miles go by.

Well jealous of you having a running route like that on your doorstep. How long until they stop you going onto site?

Well done @Quark, it'll all be worth it in June!

Just now, big__phil said:

Well jealous of you having a running route like that on your doorstep. How long until they stop you going onto site?

June's a good motivator, but tbh this has all been a while coming.  Been gradually sliding down the fitness scale since semi-retiring from rugby; time to turn the ship around as it were.

48 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Not long now tbh. It's starting to get busy now and in a week or so there will be too much traffic. I don't want to get in their way. I try to stay on the outside fence line so I'm out the way. Then it takes about 3 weeks to clear the site before I can get down there again. I usually see west holes stage delivered and the ribbon tower hat, then it's time to change routes to running outside the perimeter fence.

Mind if I join in again this year?

Whilst I didn't exactly hit my weight target for last year's festival (I WAS HEAVY), myself and BF trained for,  and completed a half marathon the weekend before :D I am so glad we did! I ran out of steam after seeing EWF!

I've lost just short of 2 stone this year, just started my half marathon training again so I am hoping to be super spry come June this year.

I need to get on board with some strength training too. Back and legs deffo needed!

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't planning to be at the festival in 2017 but following resale yesterday I'm in and I need to get in shape.

Want to match my 2016 weight - 14st 10lb - and feel as fit as I did then.

I'm 15st 8lb when I weighed myself on Thursday so 12lb to lose in about 9 weeks which is just about achievable for me, almost exactly what I did last year.

Cutting calories is the way for me. I go to the gym 6 days a week which doesn't do any harm but I've found through experience that managing what I eat pushes my weight down.

I lost about 3 stone with Slimming World a couple of years ago but I lapsed my membership, I'm now intending to go back. Paying really focuses my mind! Laying off the demon drink too will help.

Weekly updates I hope.

I've actually got quite high hopes for my fitness for this years festival, I've been working as a housekeeper at a hostel since september which has had me smashing at least 10000 steps a day involving stairs and generally moving around for 8 hours every day 

I big difference from last year when I my exercise regime was spending 8 hours a day at work refreshing these pages then walking home 

I could still do with getting some strength up and improving my core so I'll be back in this thread again

Edited by sloseph

I got married 1 month after Glasto last year so I was arguably in the best shape I'd ever been, which really helped get me though a particularly clarty festival.

Fast forward to now and I really need to get back on it. Currently running 5 - 10k a couple of times a week but it's the work snacks that are my downfall. What kind of psychopath says no to cake!?

I do a lot of hillwalking and I'm plenty fit enough to get around the site without worrying, but last year was sapping and my other half, who isn't as fit and has a few health issues, found it tough going so we didn't move around as much as we might have done. We're hoping for easier going this year.

incidentally I tracked my mileage last year and it came to over 40 miles by the time I'd got back to the car on Monday. That included 10 miles on the Wednesday with my walk in from Cannards Grave with the tent!