2017 Get Fit Thread

Kay95

Anyone up for a get fit thread? Too early? It takes me longer to get back in shape every year....

I have started upping my general walking (a couple of miles each way to work every) day and now need to reduce the calories - would like to get rid of a stone if poss.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, joeltg said:

I am walking up every escalator on the london underground network each morning, that's my commitment. That one at Angel is a bitch!

It's a start right.

I was running late a few days ago and didn't have time to mess around with the escalators at Angel. Ran up the stairs and regretted it almost immediately, but had to keep a brave face on so as not to look a fool in front of the downward cohort. 

6 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I was running late a few days ago and didn't have time to mess around with the escalators at Angel. Ran up the stairs and regretted it almost immediately, but had to keep a brave face on so as not to look a fool in front of the downward cohort. 

It's a killer right Tuna? an achievement in itself to take the stairs!

The longest escalator on the network if I am not mistaken, incase it ever comes up in a quiz. (God I am sad) :lol:

Kay, you will be surprised what a difference those few miles a day will have on your general fitness. And much nicer than public transport :)

Edited by joeltg

Good job all.

I've reduced calorie intake and do a 30 minute workout (alternating between sprints and normal pace) on an exercise bike every morning bar Sundays. 

Started the Wednesday after New Year and have lost 6lbs in 3 weeks so far so I'm happy. Aiming for about 2 and a half stone by Glastonbury. Definitely doable!

5 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

Good job all.

I've reduced calorie intake and do a 30 minute workout (alternating between sprints and normal pace) on an exercise bike every morning bar Sundays. 

Started the Wednesday after New Year and have lost 6lbs in 3 weeks so far so I'm happy. Aiming for about 2 and a half stone by Glastonbury. Definitely doable!

Well I was looking for some inspiration and this has helped enormously... am looking for ways to build exercise into my routine so that I just do it... food feels like a bigger challenge

I'm in :-)

on Day 16 of Whole30 - no slip ups yet, and lost 9lb in 2 weeks. Will then relax a little and keep the principles of Whole30 but maybe go more Paleo (which I need to research)

I also fitting in 4 hiit crossfit sessions a week and trying to do a long cliff path walk on Sundays

I'm determined to be fitter, slimmer, stronger and healthier by June :-)

Just now, Smeble said:

I lost 5 stone on the run up to last years festival, unfortunately the summer and cider( it comes out of the taps here in Somerset) got in the way and I put 3 of it back on, lost a stone since xmas and plan to get another 4 off.

Wow well done you for losing that weight. How did you do it ? What a difference that must have made around the farm. Well done

22 minutes ago, joeltg said:

The longest escalator on the network if I am not mistaken, incase it ever comes up in a quiz. (God I am sad) :lol:

Kay, you will be surprised what a difference those few miles a day will have on your general fitness. And much nicer than public transport :)

Give Covent Garden stairs a go.

Congratulations to all of you!

More inspiration for you: My 4th week off the booze. Exercise 5-6 days per week, either 45 mins on static bike, 3 mile walk (helps if you have a dog) or gym for an hour. Cut down on food - no chocolate, cut right down on bread etc. Lost 3.6 kilos so far. Under 100kgs for first time in a few years.

If you need encouragement I can confirm that not drinking is OK - just takes a bit of getting used to and lots of alternatives (I like fizzy water with squash). In my experience, and as a bonus, it also means you eat significantly less. Not really changed my lifestyle otherwise and weight seems to be dropping off now.

Aiming for 12 kilos by April - so not drinking until then and I feel righteous!

Excellent - I've been meaning to take my health and diet seriously for a couple of years but just been avoiding for whatever reason. I am on week two of slimming world (I haven't paid, just got the details on my phone) and I'm using a calorie app to monitor my food intake. Reduced calorie intake. This week, I need to start some home workouts. I have been to something called JUMP combat though, trampolines and exercise!

Lost 4lb in my first week, want to lost 1 stone and a half and be fitter and leaner for Glastonbury! Having an outlet and support is a great motivator. 

50 minutes ago, joeltg said:

Ran up this a few years ago with a colleague because we were late for a meeting. By the time we got to the top he had rubbed an open blister and when we arrived at the meeting his shoe was full of blood.

So good Glasonbury training then.

Love this thread... I'm already a stone and a half less than I was last time I went (2015) but would love to get off another stone and a half!! 

Doing dry January is helping but I can't wait for a beer...resorted to a Becks Blue last weekend!

Determined to carry around a few less pounds at Glasto 

1 hour ago, Smeble said:

I lost 5 stone on the run up to last years festival, unfortunately the summer and cider( it comes out of the taps here in Somerset) got in the way and I put 3 of it back on, lost a stone since xmas and plan to get another 4 off.

that's epic

18 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Love this thread... I'm already a stone and a half less than I was last time I went (2015) but would love to get off another stone and a half!! 

Doing dry January is helping but I can't wait for a beer...resorted to a Becks Blue last weekend!

Determined to carry around a few less pounds at Glasto 

I'm on these too, they aren't obviously as good as a refreshing cold pint but a good Placebo I guess.

I'm also drinking water out of huge wine glasses, makes me feel better :)

My friend keeps taking a picture when he is in Sainsbury's of the big gap where they are kept....I am sure the majority I keep buying!

But overall I am feeling 10 times better for cutting it out, more energy, more focused.

I have also been attending AA as last year became a real danger....excessive drinking. Damn addictive personality.

Well done on the weight loss, this thread can become inspirational in the next few months.

Edited by joeltg

Have just been onto the interweb to find some 10 minute workouts I can do when I get home... figure anything I can involve the kids in will help...

12 minutes ago, joeltg said:

But overall I am feeling 10 times better for cutting it out, more energy, more focused.

I have also been attending AA as last year became a real danger....excessive drinking. Damn addictive personality!

I admire you guys cutting out alcohol completely, part of me really wants to as the post drinking low extends for days for me now, but my other half is not keen.  Fair play to you for getting to AA.

I have had a fitbit for a few years now and the last few months have been slowly putting on weight... feeling really determined to turn it around now reading all these posts.

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Wow well done you for losing that weight. How did you do it ? What a difference that must have made around the farm. Well done

I'm using Cambridge weight plan, you need to have will power, a lot of will power.

the first 10 days are hard but after that it's pretty easy, your body adapts and despite it being very low calorie you actually feel energised and your attitude to food changes.

my mistake last year was just coming off the diet for the summer instead of doing the gradual phasing in of food, your body suddenly realises you are eating again and starts stockpiling the calories for the next low calorie period, slow phasing in of food avoids this and I have everything mapped out on a calendar so I know when I need to phase the food in, fingers crossed this year.

Edited by Smeble

I'm going to join the Get Fit team this year, there's nothing like the peer pressure from those who you don't know in the 'real' world!

I'm off on holiday for most of Feb but when I get back it starts!

I've committed to doing a 50 mile trek in Iceland in September so I'll be working towards getting really fit for that but I'm hoping it will benefit my Glastonbury experience massively too (my least favourite part of each festival is always lugging kit too and from the car, if I can make that any less arduous then I'll be a happy chappy). 

I'll be going for fitness rather than weight loss, although I'm sure one will come with the other.