dentalplan

BBC 6 Music Festival 2017

155 posts in this topic

Sorry if this raises alarm - it's not been announced yet. It has, however, always been announced last half of January so unless it's not going ahead (couldn't see why) or taking place later than the usual mid-late February, fingers crossed this week sees some news.

Got a feeling it'll be Glasgow or Edinburgh. Any rumours of its whereabouts yet?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd probably end up going if it ends up being one of them, can't see it being Edinburgh though, real lack of decent sized venues there now.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, I was thinking that the other day. It was valentine's weekend last year, so I'm pretty sure it was announced by now. And last year they'd been trailing it for a few weeks before it was announced, too.

I'm guessing that cuts to the beeb and hassle from commercial promoters has killed it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, I was thinking that the other day. It was valentine's weekend last year, so I'm pretty sure it was announced by now. And last year they'd been trailing it for a few weeks before it was announced, too.

I'm guessing that cuts to the beeb and hassle from commercial promoters has killed it.

One of the presenters did mention it not long ago, and made out like there was an announcement to come, so I wouldn't be so sure it's dead yet. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They announced the 2016 festival was going to be in Bristol on 15 December 2015.  The full lineup was released on 19 January 2016.  Tickets went on sale 25 January 2016.

Unless they're moving the festival to much later in the year then I don't think there is going to be one.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, michael eavis' beard said:

They announced the 2016 festival was going to be in Bristol on 15 December 2015.  The full lineup was released on 19 January 2016.  Tickets went on sale 25 January 2016.

Unless they're moving the festival to much later in the year then I don't think there is going to be one.

That sample is one year, though. The previous years, the location and lineup seemed to be announced on the same day in late January, and 2015 was announced later than now and took place three weeks later. Would be surprised if they've quietly binned it seeing as it was always successful and tickets actually came at a price unlike the other Beeb events..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

That sample is one year, though. The previous years, the location and lineup seemed to be announced on the same day in late January, and 2015 was announced later than now and took place three weeks later. Would be surprised if they've quietly binned it seeing as it was always successful and tickets actually came at a price unlike the other Beeb events..

True, although I'd also be surprised if they were being this tight lipped about it if they were putting one on soon.  They do love a promo!

Also, given that they book out several venues for a whole weekend I'd have thought something would've slipped out by now.  Hopefully they've just decided to push it back a bit.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been to all 3 6 music festivals. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not gone. If it was to be in Glasgow, the delay could be due to the Celtic Connections festival. It's held in every year. 2,100 artists, 300 events, 20 venues. It's going on at the moment, till 5th Jan. You'd have thought we'd have had an announcement by now though...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Details to be announced on Lauren Laverne's show on February 21st.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Came here to post the same thing. Hope it's in Wales somewhere.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a search on Twitter for rumours and one chap said they knew where it was but wouldn't tell... their location was Glasgow though. :P

Will guess at 17th-19th because The xx have a gap at the end of their tour that weekend and there are no shows at O2 Academy and Barras (tho I can't think of a third, bigger venue). Plenty of potential acts touring around then as well.

BOOK fully refundable HOTELS IMO

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Had a search on Twitter for rumours and one chap said they knew where it was but wouldn't tell... their location was Glasgow though. :P

Will guess at 17th-19th because The xx have a gap at the end of their tour that weekend and there are no shows at O2 Academy and Barras (tho I can't think of a third, bigger venue). Plenty of potential acts touring around then as well.

BOOK fully refundable HOTELS IMO

Hope you're right, I did find The xx not having a Scottish date strange so this would make sense. The only venue we have between the Academy and the Hydro is the SECC Hall 3 which holds 6000 but is barely used these days. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Hope you're right, I did find The xx not having a Scottish date strange so this would make sense. The only venue we have between the Academy and the Hydro is the SECC Hall 3 which holds 6000 but is barely used these days. 

Yeah I dunno how the venues will work out really. Looking at the listings from last year they didn't really have any venues much bigger than the O2 Academy up there or Barras but there was eight rooms across four buildings or something.

Definitely hoping I'm wrong though as Glasgow isn't much good to me, nor would The xx fill me with excitement.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both times I've heard about the 6music festival on air, they've played Bjork either before or after. Either way if it is going to be at such short notice they must be quite confident about the lineup.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's always at short notice. Even when The Charlatans and Hot Chip headlined.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh of course, it's normally at this time of year isn't it. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can see Franz Ferdinand being there, what with it likely being in Glasgow.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be delighted if its in Glasgow, been hoping for it to come up here for a few years.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd also be delighted if it was Glasgow, only been to the festival once for The National in Manchester but absolutely loved it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was mentioned on air earlier that it was Glasgow.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, on Friday Mark Radcliffe was interviewing Hardeep Singh Kohli who said that they would be both in Glasgow soon but that they weren't supposed to talk about it! 

 

So guess this year is definitely heading for Glasgow

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

no dates, tho. :(

Can prolly work it out by looking at which of the more-major venues have a fri/sat/sun with nothing booked in.

Hopefully the last weekend in March. I'm in NYC the weekend before and London the week after. 

The 26th March is also the date Run The Jewels were supposed to be playing Glasgow, according to a tweet from the O2 ABC. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now